Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Ceramic Knives
    #2158897 - 12/04/03 07:15 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Anyone know anything about them? I was thinking about buying one, but some are upwards of $150. I would like to get one so I don't have to sharpen my chef's knife all the time. Not to mention they they keep their edge really long. But I have been reading on how people have chipped the blades, broke off the tip, or the knives just breaking in two when they were cutting something dense, like large onion. I know you can't pry with them or attempt to cut through bones. I guess Kyocera is the main brand out there for ceramic knives, and they have a classic series, and then the Kyotop HIP(Hot-Istostatic Pressed) series. The Kyotop says its 2x more chip resistant than the Classic. Anyone have any experience with it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: daussaulit]
    #2159253 - 12/04/03 09:28 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Ceramic knives... O.o wow, how wierd. Might as well get a Glass Hammer too :smirk:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte
    #2159399 - 12/04/03 10:03 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

They aren't all that great, and you do dull them out pretty quick unless you're some pussy chef who just likes to look cool. If you're a working chef though you'll get pissed when you have to pay the thirty bucks every week to get it professionally sharpened. Go Global, and keep a stone.

--------------------
...or something

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: eve69]
    #2159878 - 12/05/03 12:57 AM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Well it was going to be a present for my mom who does do cooking, but doesn't use it many hours in a day. As for ceramic, yeah, it may sound weird, but on the MOH hardness scale, a diamond is 10 hardness, ceramic, 8.2(harder than topaz), and steel is about 5-6. Just because its hard doesn't mean its sturdy though.

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2160006 - 12/05/03 01:43 AM (13 years, 9 days ago)

my buddy sold knives liek door to door type thing. haha that shit is a rip off

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #2160137 - 12/05/03 02:27 AM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Yea even if they are technically harder, the maintenance would be much more of a bitch when they need it.  I couldn't be happier with the knife set I have.  I sharpen my chef's knife for fun every week or so - it doesn't even seem like it really needs it, but I like the sound of the metal sliding on metal  :evil:

I got the Professional 'S' 7 piece set by the German knife company, J.H. Henckels.  Laser cut and all the good jazz - very durable, I've slapped 'em around a bit while drunk when I didn't mean it and they're still in top shape.  Gotta watch out though, these are some seriously sharp knives (I've taken easy cuts out of my finger nail when I get too close for comfort).

FYI, the above set priced just over $200 after a hefty discount for labor day at a department store.  It was tagged at a retail of $400-some :shocked:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #2161290 - 12/05/03 02:00 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

eve is right on, if you want to keep your edge, and stay sharp. Global. Global are made from the best, and hardest steel. The japanese steel they use is much harder than solingen steel (wusthof/henckels). I have a few chefs knives, I have a global (which actually, i ended up stashing, I prefer my wusthof culinar, it's more comfortable for me), I have a messermeister sankotu, which I love, I use it all the time, for almost anything (exceptions- chives, and carrots). Those are my big 3, then I have a cheesy knife I keep at the house for my girlfriend, which retains it's edge really well. I'd invest in a diamond sharpening steel, a steel with the appropriate rockwell for your knife, and a waterstone. Between the 3 you should never need professional sharpening, but practice using the stone with a shitty knife, it takes some practice.

We have tri-stones at my school, but i prefer start to finish on the waterstone (finer grit), takes longer, but I get a better result, then about once a week I run it on the diamond steel about 20 strokes a side, and that keeps my edge for a month or so, before I need to stone it.

Global is your answer though, if you like the ergonomics.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

User Gallery

Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: Raadt]
    #2162897 - 12/05/03 11:31 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

What makes it "Japanese Steel"? Just the fact that it was made in Japan? or is there some kind of specific steel-hardening and sharpening process that only the Japanese do? Or is it derived from some kind of metal ore originating directly from Japanese mountains? I have many questions, but no answers...

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2163474 - 12/06/03 05:41 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I use a B?ker Chef Knife on daily basis.

What is important when you are buying a knife is that you buy is at a shop where they will also sharpen it for you the first time, because most knives come only with a basic edge which needs a thorough sharpening first, to be able to be whet it efficiently.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: Anno]
    #2164529 - 12/06/03 05:22 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I use lasers.

Never needs sharpening.

Not really.

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2179609 - 12/15/03 03:13 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It's a different type of steel. I'm not sure if their hardening process is different. But the actual metal is different. Solingen steel is just a bit softer steel.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: Anno]
    #2179616 - 12/15/03 03:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

very good advice anno.

also make sure you get the appropriate steel for your knife, if your steel is softer than your knife, you end up truing the steel, not the knife ;p

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2180299 - 12/15/03 07:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Raadt said:
It's a different type of steel. I'm not sure if their hardening process is different. But the actual metal is different. Solingen steel is just a bit softer steel.

Lamson is the same, I have a couple that hold an excellent edge for a few days and a quick hone with a steel brings it back, 20 minutes with a stone if I want to shave with it again and for knicks I use a Tormek machine.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #2196399 - 12/22/03 08:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ceramic knives suck! I bought a kyocera (thinking I could look as cool as ming tsai)and returned it a week later. Way to fragile for practical household applications (lets not even discuss professional use) I didn't find the edge to be sharp at all compared to my wusthof and the fact that you have to send it away to get it sharpened didn't appeal to me. I do however have a ceramic paring knife that I LOVE! and like to use on everything (especially tomatoes). The knife Im getting now is a damask steel japanese santoku with ebony wood handles (120$) It uses an even higher grade of steel than global with the added benefit of 16 hand-hammered layers of carbon steel, the blade has a wood grain effect which looks awesome. I also have a Boker titanium chefs knife with the blue crystalized blade, porsche designed- It's the knife I grab all the time for everything. Titanium has the added benefit of being lighter than steel (which is good for my small wrists) stronger than steel, bacteria resistant and non-reactive.it's pricey, but far superior to ceramic IME.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #2196419 - 12/22/03 08:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Global uses an alloyed stainless steel, which although is harder is also more difficult to sharpen and maintain an edge (compared to a regualar carbon stainless steel) this and the fact that I haven't found a global knife to be comfortable to hold (this is supposed to be ergonomic?) with the chefs' knives (Ive tried both my friends chefs and wierd looking santoku) I knock my knuckles against the cutting board everytime im chopping ( too short of a bolster imo ) but I guess to others it feels good??

stick with carbon stainless imo.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: soochi]
    #2196434 - 12/22/03 09:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

One word... Forschner..

The industry standard for butchers everywhere.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

User Gallery

Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: GabbaDj]
    #2201763 - 12/26/03 08:29 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

May the Forschner be with you :wink:

--------------------

User Gallery

Re: Ceramic Knives [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2201766 - 12/26/03 08:36 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Whatever happened to good ol' Ginsu knives? :smirk:
Those things were the SHIT when they came out...

--------------------

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
    #2206541 - 12/29/03 01:07 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, i am prolly going to get some shit for saying this, but here is my gig. If you have a diamond steel like the Forschner one for $35 bucks, but there are others, all you need for a reg in house chef knife is the cheapo "sysco" white plastic handle, or the "edward don", because once you get a good edge on it , the diamond steel keeps it tip top on a daily basis. I mean have some good knives around for show work & carving at banquets & stuff. But i kick ass with a white handle 10 inch edward don chef knife & a diamond steel.

--------------------

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#2206700 - 12/29/03 03:14 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i remember my sister buying a ceramic knife set when i was a kid and thinking wow cool white blades...but then after a few months those blades broke and well...they had to get a new knife set.

though i don't know much about knives, what steel they're made out of, what they're handle is made out of, the name of the wife of the guy who put the knife 902902 together...i do know that after checking out quite a few types of commercial knives, i'm quite happy with wusth?f. i think out of the knives that i own, the wusth?f shintoku knife is the best...i use it to cut everything

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing