Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Knives!
    #3331335 - 11/07/04 11:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I think there needs to be a knife feedback forum. IE, what kind of knives you use, what you like/dislike, etc. I know I was really confused on what brand of knives and types, so maybe this will help other people out for those that are more serious in the culinary arts.

Global G-2 8" Chef's Knife.

This is one damn sharp knife, no doubt the sharpest knife I have. The knife is really light and it doesn't take much effort to cut something. I also like the fact that the knife doesn't have a bolster. I found this knife to be very good for fine chopping and intricate knife work. I don't use this for heavy duty stuff like hard chopping or butchering.

Global GS-5 5" Vegetable Knife

This is also a ridiculously sharp knife. Shorter blade is good for doing fine chopping I guess, but not really necessary if you have a good chef's knife. I found this knife to also be pretty useless.

Global GS-7 3" Paring(peeling) knife.

According to the Yoshikin website, this is suppose to be a peeling knife, but when I bought the set it said it was a paring knife. I feel that this is one of the most worthless knives you can buy. Its really sharp, but I haven't found a use for it. The blade shape is a triangle, and the blade heel is too tall, making it extremely hard to get a good grip and do some real paring. Had I known that it was going to be so hard to pare with, I would have opted for another standard shorter bladed knife for paring.

Now the biggest complaints about Global knives I hear is the odd shaped handle. Some people don't find it comfortable, but I like the feel of it. Also since the knives are very sharp, it requires very little effort to cut through something and doesn't really strain the hand like a dull knife with a good handle.

Wusthof Grand Prix 8" Cook's Knife

This is also a very nice knife. Not quite as sharp as Global's, but it has a nice heavy feel to it, and its great for cutting through bones and "rock and chop" cutting. I like the Grand Prix series because of the handle. They have different series and the main difference is the look and the handle. I think it is a very comfortable knife to hold. The bolster does bother me a little when I am running it against the steel, but this is an awesome knife, I love it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Knives! [Re: daussaulit]
    #3331875 - 11/08/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I use and stand by a good stamped Forschner any day..

They hold a great edge and sharpen like a dream... In fact I use three Forschner knives daily at work...

Thats for work. The stamped blade with the great edge and quality metal make for a kick ass tool to be used over and over plus the handle is bacteria resistant and a perfict fit. Its made from a composit and is lite which matches the blades weight for perfect ballance.

For home I like a good sturdy forged blade. One with a good ballance and quality metal like that Wusthof.

Them global look not soo good. The one pice forged metal looks cool but if you look at it, the handle is small because its solid steel. You need a composit too make it ballance well..

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#3332142 - 11/08/04 04:46 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i'm happy with my w?sthof grand prix 10 piece set...i highly recommend it. for a while i was just using the grand prix shintoku knife and that did the job for all my cutting needs :smile:

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3335929 - 11/09/04 04:17 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i got a gerber pocket knife and a steak knife, all i use for cooking usually. i looked at some of these knives you guys posted....are they all so damn expensivE!!! saw some that are over 300 for flipping steak knives and a mini cleaver thing...jsut me?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlineyumyumdoodoo
Stranger
Re: Knives! [Re: kadakuda]
    #3339737 - 11/10/04 02:42 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by boO (11/10/04 01:48 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Knives! [Re: yumyumdoodoo]
    #3367580 - 11/16/04 06:08 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

for a good extremely sharp non dulling blade look into boker ceramic knives.im into them cuz their so sharp and they stay that way (not in a serrated "sharp" way either)

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
Re: Knives! [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3367788 - 11/16/04 09:28 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

that everday italian lady uses those global knives

i'd like her to chop my bologna

--------------------

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Knives! [Re: sucklesworth]
    #3367908 - 11/16/04 10:12 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

*little smokey

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: Knives! [Re: Stein]
    #3367914 - 11/16/04 10:16 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

*hog leg

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3369439 - 11/16/04 05:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have most of the pieces from this set, plus a couple
other little tools for specific needs:

I've been getting it piece by piece as needed...

I don't have the fork, short chef's, shears, sharpener or short serrated.

the weight is awesome, handle is very comfortable and they hold
an incredible edge.

quality knives make all the difference when cooking high maintenance
meals.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #3437653 - 12/02/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I too own this knife, it sharpens very fast, and holds a nice edge. I'm not fond of the flimsy feel, or the handle, I use it more for precision work (i.e. brunoise..etc.), and only at work. I hardly use it at home.

The messermeister meridian elite. I love this knife for everyday use. It feels very sturdy, it has a bolsterless edge, therefore sharpens very easily without risk of bowing your knife, holds a very good edge, the edge it is designed for is 18 degrees instead of 22, so it is actually sharper than most knives.

The global GS-4, this knife I have never had to sharpen, i just run it on my steel every now and again, and voila, sharp as a razor. It's only edged on one side, very very good knife for people who don't care about precision and just want a knife for general chopping (even though that's not what it's designed for) Because of the one sided edge, your cuts tend to have a slant in them, but as far as cutting herbs, slicing onions, etc... this knife is wonderful. You just cannot get a straight cut with it.

I have about 6 other knives, but i'll have to find time to go over them. These are the 3 I use most often. And the one I most highly suggest is the messermeister, I like it way more than my wusthof culinar, because of the bolsterless edge.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: Knives! [Re: afoaf]
    #3437819 - 12/02/04 04:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

My lady friend bought me a set of henkels when she moved in last week.

I like

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Knives! [Re: sucklesworth]
    #3440446 - 12/03/04 01:14 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have watched my wife spend huge bucks on knives.

I can tell you that spending 80-120 bucks on one chef's knife is silly. Pick a set you like but don't spend huge bucks. I just don't get it. She has several knives that cost half as much or less and hold a edge just as good and some perform much better.

My personl fav set of knives we have is made by Cutco. I knew a salesman and got a set for less than half price. Great knives at a great deal.

But the ones in your pics sure look cool

I'd say go for value and still expect them to perform. You can do well without spending 500 bucks :thumbup:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Knives! [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3443663 - 12/03/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Fucknuckle said:
I have watched my wife spend huge bucks on knives.

I can tell you that spending 80-120 bucks on one chef's knife is silly. Pick a set you like but don't spend huge bucks. I just don't get it. She has several knives that cost half as much or less and hold a edge just as good and some perform much better.

My personl fav set of knives we have is made by Cutco. I knew a salesman and got a set for less than half price. Great knives at a great deal.

But the ones in your pics sure look cool

I'd say go for value and still expect them to perform. You can do well without spending 500 bucks :thumbup:

$100 is too much for a single knife but $250 should be the goal price for a nice set..

Lets not forget about a good cutting block..

I like plastic..  The bigger the better and one with a well to trap juices if your cutting something juicy, like a nice roast...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3444257 - 12/04/04 01:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hehe my parents bought a set of cutco knives. They work great and have some forever warranty but still totally overpriced. A friend of mine was a sales rep for them and he said the whole demonstration was a con, making unfair comparisons and shit. Still, they're great for cutting up cacti.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Knives! [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3445122 - 12/04/04 10:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

my friend's dad had those miracle blades from tv. dunno if they were any good.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#3445342 - 12/04/04 12:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I like high carbon blades. They rust but thats if you dont care for them. But they hold a very shrarp edge well. That and ceramic knives are nice. Brittel though but lights and everlastingly sharp.

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Knives! [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3445525 - 12/04/04 01:31 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ninjapixie said:
hehe my parents bought a set of cutco knives. They work great and have some forever warranty but still totally overpriced. A friend of mine was a sales rep for them and he said the whole demonstration was a con, making unfair comparisons and shit. Still, they're great for cutting up cacti.

I totally agree that Cutco knives are far to expensive but if you can get them at distributor prices then they are worth it.  :thumbup:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3446049 - 12/04/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

why have all those knives? unless you liek collecting. is there really any difference between #1,2,3,5,6,8,9? other than style. im just curious why people need all these knives, each one of those could be used for anythign couldn't they?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Knives! [Re: kadakuda]
    #3446164 - 12/04/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have some my grandfather made and believe it or not for most deboning and difficult cutting I use my 4 inch Puma pocket knife.
But all my blades are creepy sharp.
I use a straight razor to shave and the strop is usefull on the kitchen knives too.I haven't bought a razor blade in years.
:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing