Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw?
    #19906491 -

I've been eating sushi and loving it for years and years, and yet, I never tried making myself some because I always thought that sushi restarant had "special" salmon.

Can I take a fresh salmon filet from the store an eat it raw? How long do I have to wat it all? At what point does it become dangerous?

Can I do that with other fish too? Or is supermarket salmon not meant to be eaten raw at all?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906498 -

I've eaten raw meat from grocery stores (beef / chicken), as with sushi you're taking a risk doing so.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906508 -

Depends. Do you feel lucky?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: psi]
    #19906519 -

Probably not. Fish used for sushi meets some higher standard, I think. On the other hand, I cook my salmon so it is essentially uncooked in the center and I'm not dead.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: koods]
    #19906530 -

I just read that if I freeze my salmon at -35 an thaw it, that all the parasites die. That seems like a very low temparture to reach. Are regular freezers capable of reaching that temperature???


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906544 -

I don't think so. I recall measuring the temp in my freezer and it was about -25c

I think the texture of raw fish that had been previously frozen may be not so appealing.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906553 -

Patlal said:
I've been eating sushi and loving it for years and years, and yet, I never tried making myself some because I always thought that sushi restarant had "special" salmon.

Can I take a fresh salmon filet from the store an eat it raw? How long do I have to wat it all? At what point does it become dangerous?

Can I do that with other fish too? Or is supermarket salmon not meant to be eaten raw at all?




unless you live on the coast, it's unlikely that your supermarket carries
fresh salmon, it's brought in frozen, thawed and put in the meat case. if
you want that salmon then I'd say no. buy the still frozen salmon from them
and thaw it yourself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: koods]
    #19906561 -

Yeah that's pretty damn cold. You can get things to a pretty cold temperature by putting salt on ice like they do for home made ice cream, but not that cold I think.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: psi]
    #19906583 -

eat it, if you get sick just suit the fuckers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: psi] * 1
    #19906594 -

psi said:
Yeah that's pretty damn cold. You can get things to a pretty cold temperature by putting salt on ice like they do for home made ice cream, but not that cold I think.




dry ice. I froze a bottle of liquor in about 20 minutes using dry ice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #19906646 -

I just emailed the grocery store chain I plan on buying salmon from, I'll see what they say. In the meantime I'll go to a specialized fish store or something.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906653 -

It probably isn't safe, I'd say. But why would you eat it raw in the first place?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906670 -

Patlal said:
I just read that if I freeze my salmon at -35 an thaw it, that all the parasites die. That seems like a very low temparture to reach. Are regular freezers capable of reaching that temperature???



you can do it at -18c, it just takes far longer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: EdibleStereos]
    #19906698 -

"Except for raw molluscan shellfish, certain species of large tuna, certain aquacultured fish, and fish eggs that have been removed from the skein and rinsed, if fish are intended for raw or undercooked consumption, they must be properly frozen before they are served. If this process is done off-premises, purchase specifications ensuring that proper freezing techniques are used to destroy parasites must be provided. Labeling or other information should accompany the product to advise as to whether the product was frozen properly. This is necessary because fish from natural bodies of water may carry parasitic worms that can infect and injure consumers who eat such raw fish dishes as sushi, ceviche, green (lightly marinated) herring, and cold-smoked salmon. The worms are often deeply imbedded inside fish muscle. Thorough freezing kills these worms if the fish are subjected to a low enough temperature for a long enough time.."

So yea if you do get it fresh, I wouldnt eat it raw.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: thissongis]
    #19906715 -

Freezing fish yourself is not the same as freezing it yourself. The speed at which it is frozen is important. Freezing quickly makes for smaller ice crystals that do less damage than the big crystals you would get sticking it in your freezer.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906764 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: koods]
    #19906774 -

koods said:
Freezing fish yourself is not the same as freezing it yourself. The speed at which it is frozen is important. Freezing quickly makes for smaller ice crystals that do less damage than the big crystals you would get sticking it in your freezer.




Yes, that is why at home, or in small restaurant with limited equipment, they will slice the meat to the thinnest possible as needed, and then freezed on racks.


You can prepare it at home for sushi if you really want to. But would be easiest to buy it prepared.

Also remember supermarket meat is often garbage, and would not be sushi grade. A proper fish monger would be the place to go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Repertoire89]
    #19906790 -

Repertoire89 said:
I've eaten raw meat from grocery stores (beef / chicken), as with sushi you're taking a risk doing so.



EWWWWWWW :puke:


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: EdibleStereos]
    #19906797 -

So if I bought frozen salmon filet from the grocery store, would that count you think?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it safe to eat fresh salmon from the supermarket raw? [Re: Patlal]
    #19906798 -

Actually, I do this all the time. Take fresh salmon, add some sugar, salt, lemon and dill, and BAM you have a quick "gravlox" (a norwegian dish).

You don't even have to add any of the above ^ I have done this maaany times with no adverse effects.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* King Salmon vinsue 812 6 09/28/05 05:48 PM
by Schwip
* Raw foodism and athletic pursuits Squatting_Otter 906 3 02/21/04 09:37 AM
by Squatting_Otter
* how should i eat my donut? (poll)
( 1 2 all )
Lazerouth 4,088 25 05/17/11 03:32 PM
by gnome respect
* Free RAW interview for download Edame 1,032 4 06/14/03 04:13 PM
by Edame
* Best food to eat off someone's body
( 1 2 all )
eve69 12,313 34 11/12/03 05:23 PM
by _I_
* eating healthy is so confusing NiGGy 2,515 14 10/22/18 08:38 AM
by SunnyD
* pregnant fried eating shrooms
( 1 2 3 all )
milly 12,056 40 02/18/04 12:22 AM
by Jared
* How should I keep shrooms fresh while shipping them? WakeboardrB 1,742 8 10/09/03 04:54 AM
by 40oz

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,300 topic views. 4 members, 67 guests and 72 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.