Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Found while Lib hunting
    #950387 - 10/10/02 05:07 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey all, got some LBM's here. I had been seeing these on hunts in the past, and ignoring/tossing them because I was searching strictly for Lib Caps. Anyhow, this year I figured I'd pick a few and see if you guys could help me identify them... I might not be a newbie at picking Liberty Caps, but I definitely am at identifying any other type of mushroom. This place has got me interested in identifying others.

I have a feeling that the pictures, while not superb, are good enough to get a pretty good idea of the necessary facts... the color is pretty accurate, you're basically seeing what i see. I'll try to do some additional description though.

Habitat - cow pastures, very similar to Ps. Semilanceata.
Gills - very dark in color. They seem to follow a pattern: a big one that goes to the center, then a small one that stops a couple of mm in, and then another big one, and so on. The big ones seem to actually be attached to the stalk in the center.
Size - with the cap, should be obvious from the picture. Stem is 2-3 inches when picked freshly.
Stem - brown. kind of fibrous. pretty thin... hard to tell if there's a hollow spot, even on the bigger mushrooms. The stems are pretty much shriveled to dark brown/black wher they've been handled.
Spores - I haven't got a print fully done, but going by the spores on my fingers and a really quick one, I'm going with black for the spore color. I'll repost if that changes.
Scent - like fresh mushrooms you would buy in a supermarket, I suppose... mushroomy. I don't know how else to describe the smell, and i'm pretty stuffed up anyway, so it's probably fruitless to worry too much about this.

Hope that's enough info, guys. thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: nfshroomer]
    #950469 - 10/10/02 05:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

My guess would be Panaeolus Campanulatus.. if not that, then definantly some kind of pan.

Not active.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Edited by Raadt (10/10/02 05:27 PM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#950551 - 10/10/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yes its no dout a Panaeolus, and most likely in the Panaeolus campanulatus group.

Not active...says it could have very trace amounts of psilocybin and seritonin.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: angryshroom]
    #950957 - 10/10/02 07:20 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

actually i beleive that to be panaeolus pappionaceus.
:smile:
im too drink to explain why, and maybe im just wrong drunk...
but heres some pan sphinctrinus with one pan papillionaceus.
(personally picked by me)

and the next image is all pan campatalanus as they have been lovingly dubbed the same way one dubbs a mushroom something like Aminita formosa or Paneolina maire.

the next is a pick of pans that bruised very blue and had a black sporeprint and were identifyed by MJ (picked by me) as pan papillonaceus.

i tend to think perhaps tho this mushroom picked is not liberty caps or even a psilocybe... but may be active.
and yes i think pan papillonaceus is active.
and is a separate speceis, otherwise i trust nobody on this often-confused mushroom and will just pick whatever i see to me active and stop tryting to decide which pan it is.
blah
oh yeah, and these arent "weakly active" nor are they non-active. i will vouch for that.
they are moderately active :smile:
that means its decent, better than most pan subbs, but no liberty cap. :smile: find more :smile:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: Mitchnast]
    #951047 - 10/10/02 07:41 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

okay, okay...get into details why dont you Mitch :tongue: :smile:

You're the expert in this region of finding I can see. The grassy lib-caps and this sort of habitat is what you're more familiar with. (Way more than me!!! :smile: )

Still though, they are considered to be in the campannulatus family, correct? The pictures that you posted are great, and they do infact look very similar to the ones posted.

Thats awsome if they are active, I hoep he didn't throw htem away! DOH!

Thanks Mitch.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: angryshroom]
    #951101 - 10/10/02 07:54 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i will agree that they fall under the "campannulatus family"
if you agree that this is a sub group of paneolus sphinctrinus and therefore that would make paneolus papllionaceus the same speceis as pan sphinctrinus and therefore there exists a speceis of mushrooms that has an avtive variety and an inactive variety that look completely different  and share different macro and chemical characteristics, as well as another variety that is inactive and looks slightly different than the afformentioned inactive variety.......
then id aggree, otherwise nosireeno :smile:
but then its all too much. WAHHHHHHHHH

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#951124 - 10/10/02 08:00 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

WAHHHHHHHH!!

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

#952338 - 10/11/02 06:50 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey,

Thanks for the replies and the ID help, guys. The pictures you posted of Pan. Papilionaceus look very much like what I've found, Michnast. The only issue I have is that you mention that yours bruised very blue... I didn't observe any blue bruising. Am I correct in assuming that not all Pan. Papilionaceus will bruise blue?

The other thing I wanted to ask was whether or not it makes sense for me to be finding this mushroom in Newfoundland, Canada... for those of you who might want to help and don't know where that is, we're on an island off the east coast of Canada.

At any rate, I haven't thrown my mushies away; they're drying alongside yesterday's liberty caps... I'll definitely pick some more on my next hunting trip (which should be soon... we had another frost this morning!).

Thanks!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#953945 - 10/11/02 11:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well, im in nova scotia.. sooo :smile:

InvisibleSpiritus
Interested
Loc: Canada
    #1979167 - 10/04/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I wonder --and this may sound stupid-- would it be risky to eat them?

If they are inactive, does that mean they are nessesarly poisonous? Or does anyone truley know?

If nfshroomer truley has pychedelic mushrooms here, we can only assume there are more on this province, which is a large discovery, for us, anyways. It means we have something else BESIDES liberty caps to look for.

--------------------
~Spiritus

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1979394 - 10/04/03 04:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ACtualluy Mitchnast panaeolus spinctrinus is the family of the campanulate shrooms. P. papilionaceus ois closer to P. subbalteatus. This is from generic descriptions formt he early 1900s which drew images which resemble both Coppelndia cyanescens and form other s which resembled P. subbalteatus.

The image in Paul Stamets book is incorrect for P. papilionaceus. I have posted good images here before alng with the original descriptions which described P. papilionaceus as becomeng flat in age, something Campanulate and P. sphinctrinus so nbot do.

mj

And I relaly do not have the time right now to dig up all those images and repost them.

mj

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1979486 - 10/04/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

P. papilionaceus and the P. camapanulatus group grow all over the world, and its not really worth harvesting them as actives, i doubt yours are active, although you can try them, it won't hurt as long as you dont injest an extra Concybe amidst the patch. although its possible that collections have been active, i have found tons of P. papilionaceus here in florida that are not active.

overall the P. campanulatus complex is not active.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: Spiritus]
    #1979543 - 10/04/03 05:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>I wonder --and this may sound stupid-- would it be risky to eat them?

Well, there aren't any *known* poisonous species of Panaeolus, but they all tend to be pretty harsh on the stomach when you eat them, active or not. Most people can expect to have mild stomach upset and a little diarrhea the next day. Panaeolus aren't going to make you ungodly ill or anything, but they're not as nice on your stomach as say... cubensis are. It's a price to pay, but IMHO, it's worth it(if they're active). If you don't want to deal with the stomach upset then I wouldn't eat them.

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: Gumby]
    #1979865 - 10/04/03 08:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah- many grass dwelling pans make me fart unreasonably, but I've also gotten lucky with them before. Like all the knowledgeable shroomers before me said- yours are probably not active (because the more active specimens blue more visibly) but this does not limit ALL activity as blueing in pans (esp. pap. and related sp.) can be rather difficult to point out initially. Be careful though to make sure EVERY one is the same panaeolus because one deadly lookalike (ONE) and you're fried as you well know and a "little" mistake is as funny as your dick sliding into a chipper.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1979959 - 10/04/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hahaha, that was a good comparison. that worked on me three times

Offlinenfshroomer
NewfoundlandShroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Found while Lib hunting [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1980892 - 10/05/03 08:18 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well, guys, you certainly dug one up here. Back from the dead, it's a year old thread!

The shrooms in question were consumed with a number of Lib Caps. It's difficult to say whether or not they had any effect.

P.S.: Spiritus, there ARE other mushrooms to be looking for: I've seen pictures of Gymnopilus Spectabilis and Amanita Muscaria from here. In fact, I've seen Amanita Muscaria growing myself. I've never actively hunted either, though. Somewhere out there on the web is a mycologist's hunting page from MUN where local pictures of both mushrooms can be found.

InvisibleSpiritus
Interested
Loc: Canada
    #1981064 - 10/05/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Nice, shroomer.

I've seen so many Amanita Muscaria growing around my area that I've be tempted to pick them and try them, but I don't think I'm ready for them yet.

I've seen a dozens of them recently, actually.

And these guys look familiar: http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_images5.shtml

I should keep an eye out for them.

--------------------
~Spiritus

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale