Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGonzoPunk
Lurking fiend.
My first successful lib hunt. Coprinus Atrementarius?
    #2045709 - 10/26/03 10:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Went on a hunt for a couple of hours today and found 225 liberty caps. :thumbup: Most of the libs we find are light in color. A real light pale, almost white sometimes. And maybe I'm being too careful, but I'm half concerned about Coprinus Atrementarius. The descriptions I've found sound identical to light libs.

Any ways to tell the difference? Thanks. I'm putting on pictures when my friend gets the cable for his camera back. 

--------------------
"I think there's something wrong with me." - Oscar Zeta Acosta

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: My first successful lib hunt. Coprinus Atrementarius? [Re: GonzoPunk]
    #2046002 - 10/27/03 12:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

spore print is a good plcae to start, as that will tell you right off.
C. atramentarius does not have a viscose cap, it has a verry brittle, hollow stipe and will deliquess into black goo in maturity.

if you can find keys to both genera, you will see the differences even more clearly.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

Re: My first successful lib hunt. Coprinus Atrementarius? [Re: canid]
    #2046779 - 10/27/03 09:35 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Do you mean light when they are fresh? If so you might be comforted by hearing that the ones I picked yesterday were also lighter than usual but that is because they were very young. THey popped up on Sunday after the cold night on Saturday.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: My first successful lib hunt. Coprinus Atrementarius? [Re: Stipe]
    #2046845 - 10/27/03 10:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Coprinus atramentarius can be very close to white colored.

Cap color seems to be much overused as an identification feature, especially by beginners. There are lots of things that alter cap color. Sunlight and rain both tend to wash out the colors in mushrooms.

Spore print color, gill attachment, rings, volvas, size, and things like those are the important things you need to look at for mushroom identification.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: My first successful lib hunt. Coprinus Atrementarius? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2047364 - 10/27/03 02:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nice find if they indeed turn out to be Semi's Gonzo. Where abouts did you find them. I'm guessing US because of the word "color" used?

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

OfflineGonzoPunk
Lurking fiend.
Re: My first successful lib hunt. Coprinus Atrementarius? [Re: Xenophobic]
    #2047704 - 10/27/03 04:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Xeno: Not me. I'm in Newfoundland, Canada. I spell it 'color' because 'colour' just doesn't look right to me.

I'm sure all 225 are liberty caps.

Originally the guys I was with were picking anything remotely liberty cap-ish and tossing it in the bag. I took the bag at the end of the day and sorted liberty caps from other trash. Thanks to MJ's page, Erowid, and this board in particular, I fell quite confident I my ability to ID libbies.

When sorting the shrooms, I took anything that looked even remotely shady and tossed it. Better safe than sorry, eh? I made the judgement call based on cap color and shape, the appearance of any nipple, gill color, and the way the shrooms were grouped. Pictures of the different varieties of shrooms were particularly helpful.

--------------------

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2047988 - 10/27/03 06:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You cannot judge by pictures Gonzo, taking the caps off and making spore prints would have been another way of determining the species. But I'm glad to see you had the sense to "toss" anything that didn't look remotely like a Semi. Good luck for future expeditions!

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

Edited by concretefeet (10/27/03 10:38 PM)

OfflineGonzoPunk
Lurking fiend.
    #2048402 - 10/27/03 09:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"Well "colour" is English, if it doesn't look right to
you, you should consider rallying the Canadian (even I
know Canadians to use "colour" as I lived there) &
American people to invent their own langauge like we
did 3,000 years ago instead of changing ours to suit
you like lazy people with no intelligence."

Nah, I think I'll just continue to butcher the language to my liking. Thanks for the suggestion though. :P

"You cannot judge by pictures Gonzo, taking the caps
off and making spore prints would have been another
way of determining the species."

Well, like I said, I didn't just use pictures to judge. Getting spore prints from 200+ virtually identical mushrooms doesn't seem entirely feasible. I printed a few at the beginning, and all were a purply color. Each and every mushroom has purply brown gills, and that's good enough for me.

--------------------

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2048430 - 10/27/03 10:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I notice you missed the "That was a joke by the way", and the edit by concretefeet, which has taken this whole thread out of context. If this is the way one is treated when merely quoting an opinion, then I'de rather not bother.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2048448 - 10/27/03 10:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the edit was placed after the last post by GonzoPunk.

if you guys would like, i can remove the posts upto the point where the thread got off topic, as this will help put it back on track.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineGonzoPunk
Lurking fiend.
    #2048483 - 10/27/03 10:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

not at all. i know you were joking. i would have thought you would realize the same about what i said.

concretefeet is just trying to be a good mod.

now, i still don't have access to a digital camera that i can link to my PC, but I scanned in a few of the suspect semis. after getting all sorts of SLQ type errors, i finally was able to access this thread again. when trying to upload pics, it said the document contained no data. i kept trying to upload until it told me i had exceed my upload limity. the shitty deal is that not one attempt sucessfully uploaded a pic. so i, being the determined guy that i am, created an angelfire account and put the picture there.

http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/ultra/psilo/good.jpg

my scanner flattened out the caps a great deal, but they were very conical to begin with. all have pronounced nipples and purply brown gills. all found on grasslands in clusters (for the most part).

are there any doubts now as to the authenticity of my semis? (please, for the love of god, say no.  :grin:  :lol: )

time for some sleep.

cheers Xeno. 

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2048667 - 10/27/03 10:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the mushrooms pictured do look as though they may be psilocybes. from your prints, the color would seem to agree. while is is certainly not feasible to print so many mushrooms, it is always prudent to print at least one from each seperate collection and to keep each collection seperate [paper lunch type bags work well for this, as they allow the specimens to breathe while being easy to keep seperate.

if i am interpreting your pictures correctly, it appears that there is an anulus on the specimen in the top right of your pic.
is this correct?

did you not any blueing?

when fresh, where the caps somewhat striate?

when fresh, where the caps viscid?

i have an idea as to what they may be, but i'd like you to answer the questions i have asked first.

forgive me if i didn't see before, but what area are you in?

--------------------

OfflineGonzoPunk
Lurking fiend.
    #2048812 - 10/27/03 11:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

/me breaks out the dictionary.

First of all I'm in Newfoundland, Canada, where the only psilocybes are semis. All descriptions of NF semis I've heard match the mushrooms i have.

i just looked into the tobacco tub where the mushrooms are stored. there is definite blueing. It is not yet apparent on all mushrooms, but on both the caps and stems of a good few.

from the definition of striate i found and understood (that is, having a series of lines or bands, in this case running from the peak of the cap to the bottom), i would say yes. it is particularly noticable towards the bottoms of the caps. most of our shrooms we found were more opaque than transparent, and so you really had to look. on some of the (what i understand to be) more mature shrooms the caps were much more transparent, were darker in color, and therefore the striation was much more apparent.

the caps were extremely viscid. while most were dried to the point where it wasn't noticable at the time, we had a hard time picking the mushrooms because of grass and other debris that had adhered to the sticky coating on the caps. the caps also stuck to other caps, and the moist shrooms we found would even stick to the inside of the paper bags we used.

i only noticed the anulus (if that is indeed what it is) on that particular shroom after i had scanned it. i never noticed them on any others, but then again, i wasn't looking too hard.

opinions?

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2048868 - 10/27/03 11:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

First of all I'm in Newfoundland, Canada, where the only psilocybes are semis.

the only active psilocybes know so far are semies.

aside from the annulus on the one [wich should be printed by itself] they sound like they are indeed semies, but take care to be sure they are all the same species.

saide from your area, the annulate specimen looks like psilocybe fimentaria wich, though not known from the area, may possbily occur there, as the climate is similar. though semies have a partial a partial viel, it is evanescent [quickly dissapearing] and i've never seen one present at that stage of maturity. it is still possible, i presume, that it is a semie, you hsould note if that particular specimen is blueing, and print it if you are curious, if not, you should consider discarding it.

--------------------

OfflineGonzoPunk
Lurking fiend.
    #2049737 - 10/28/03 05:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i just took a look at the mushroom with the "annulus". it's not an annulus at all. the stem was bent over, bruising it in a line. pretty neat trick, eh?

thanks for your help concretefeet.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2049747 - 10/28/03 06:08 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

nice, it is certainly a semie then.
once more, be careful that they are all semies and have a great time :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

#2050189 - 10/28/03 12:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nice libs.

I think its best that people don?t find actives on your first hunt. The excitement is in the hunt and finding the trophy fungi is all the sweeter the harder it is. For me finding libs took a long time and miles of searching. It?s in that time that you gain knowledge and appreciation of mushrooms or at least I have. Day after day of finding inactives will have you feeling like your chasing a legend. But when the day finally comes and you find what it is you?ve been looking for it will be all worth it and you will be better because of it. If active shrooms were common they would not appeal to me as they do. It is the anticipation, the learning and the challenge that makes it exciting. Combine this with the illegality, and the underground community feel, finding your first shroom is a high that is hard to beat.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification