Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMysterio88
Stranger
Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers
    #4605470 - 08/31/05 10:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hi, i went shrooming for the first time today in some woods near a friends house didnt find shit....there were many damp logs and bushy areas..is it the wrong type of place to be looking? could it be too damp? I was also wondering if it would be easier field shrooming...i hear psilocybe semilanceata grows fairly decent in New York (where i live)because if i have a better chance of getting a good hull from that ill do that.....thank u for ur time i would also like any other hunting tips u could give me

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers [Re: Mysterio88]
    #4605526 - 08/31/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It all depends on where you live and the strain of mushroom you are looking for..
Looking for Cubes? Look in the cow pastures..
Looking for Subs? Look in lawns large patches of grass like at malls and business parks..
Looking for copes? Look in the Cow Crap..
You can also look at your local equestrian center..
Once you find them and you get a feel for the habitat then you will be on your way to a great hunting experience..
Watch the rains go hunting with the rain..
Don't look for mushrooms in hot dry times.. Watch the rain and you will be rewarded..
Good Luck!

Yessup

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

OfflineBabaOreilly
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: under the sea
Re: Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers [Re: YESSUP]
    #4605603 - 08/31/05 10:26 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

well.... seing as how u are from new york you will probably want to look for psilocybe semilanceata (liberty caps), or panaeolus subbalteatus, or psilocybe silvatica. liberty caps grow out of tall grasses in manured soil. tall=up to your knees i hear. season = august-october. Pan sub grows this season too but look on horse pupe. silvatica grows on hardwoods or something i cant remember.

heres what to do
go here:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23483#N
and research the mushrooms from new york at here:
http://mushroomjohn.com/species.htm
scroll down for the species.

just a heads up gymnopolis mushrooms are bitter and very weak
Psilocybe caerulipes i hear is very elusive
and
mushroomjohn says Conocybe cyanopus grows only in the pacific northwest, and that he has only found it twice ever.

hope that helps

OfflineMysterio88
Stranger
Re: Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers [Re: YESSUP]
    #4605604 - 08/31/05 10:26 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks....ive been doing a little bit of research since i first posted....i think im gonna look for P. semilenceata because there are quite a few grassy fields near where i live near old busted malls and stuff + i hear of people getting nice hauls and i hear they produce a nice trip

OfflineBabaOreilly
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers [Re: Mysterio88]
    #4605617 - 08/31/05 10:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

lol that was quick

OfflineMysterio88
Stranger
    #4605622 - 08/31/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Does it have to be manured soil? or is there an ok chance i can go hunting in a normal knee high grass field also we just got rain from the hurricane so will that help my chances?

OfflineBabaOreilly
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #4605827 - 08/31/05 11:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

im not really sure but we think we found ONE liberty cap today but we werent looking in deep enough grass. from what ive been reading, you might be able to find them in regular old tall grass, but ive also read that they like growing in pastures where animals graze growing near but never directly off manure. heres a good recent post
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4587223/page/0/fpart/4/vc/1
you might want to ask the user: psemilanceata, he seems to have some experience with libs

InvisiblePSemilanceata
Tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: Eastern Canada
Re: Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers [Re: BabaOreilly]
    #4606115 - 08/31/05 11:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

First, it doesn't have to be deep grass. Usually the taller the grass, the taller the mushrooms in general. It also depends heavily on what kind you're looking for. Although your location is a little different than BabaOreily's here is what I easily found out searching this site, and a few tips I gave her that might apply to you as well.

<paste>

Sent to: BabaOreilly
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/references/other/1997_allen_resproject_1.shtml

Ontario Psilocybe silvatica (Peck) Singer & Smith. (Singer & Smith, 1958).
Panaeolus subbalteatus Berkeley & Broome. (Pollock, 1976).
Gymnopilus viridans Murrill. (Hatfield et al., 1978).

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23482

This site also adds:

Psilocybe caerulipes

Found in summer and occasionally autumn solitary or clustered on decomposing logs and debris of hardwood trees (especially birch and maple) in New York, New England states, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, Tennessee and Ontario.

Psilocybe sylvatica

Found in September and October in small compact but unlustered groups in woods on leaf mold, debris (especially beech wood), around stumps and logs, but not usually on them -- from New York to Michigan and as far north as Quebec and Ontario. This mushroom is small and is often mistaken for P. Pelliculosa.

Panaeolus subalteatus

Found from spring to autumn grouped or clustered often in rings up to two feet in diameter on open ground, freshly manured lawns, straw piles, all types of compost, dung piles, and roadsides in Ontario and throughout the USA (especially in Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Washington, and Oregon). Optimum growth on MEA is at 86 degrees F. It occasionally occurs as a weed mushroom in commercial mushroom houses.

So! My first tip, learn what mushrooms are around that you might like to look for. KNOW what they look like, explore pictures, (there are lots here, and erowid and other sites. Learn where they grow, find areas like it and explore. Now, if you KNOW there have been mushrooms there before, keep looking.
As the temperatures get cooler (dew) and/or with some rain/frost, you can almost be assured something is fruiting somewhere.
As for your other question, here are some tips for searching. (if possible)...If you are with a friend (or more) you can do this faster.
Start with the outside edges of the field. Walk along the whole perimeter. If the grass is tall, lie down if possible and just start exploring. If find this view is great, plus noone sees you. Then spiral inwards. Depending on the grass length, you might be able to just walk around. You might even want to take several containers to put different kinds of mushrooms in. If later ID'd to be no good, toss the bad ones. Make sure to KNOW!!! what you are eating, that is very important. But have faith, don't ever think that because you checked a spot once and there was nothing, that it is not worth checking again as the season progresses! I have seen SO many times where I have checked an area and found little to nothing, only to see it EXPLODE days/weeks later. (this is my personal experience with P.Semilanceata) We have night picked (sometimes using a large cardboard box to conceal the light of our LED head lamps) and used large green tarps to pick in the rain. It's nice to have already found a location to be picking doing those two though.

I hope you find these tips of use to you. Have a fun time looking and be sure to let me know how you make out.

ps, there may also be other active speceies besides the ones listed.

Good Luck

PSemilanceata

Quote:
hey bud hows it goin?
i just went out and did some hunting this afternoon and found what i beleive to be some panaeolus antillarum (inactive). I think my friend picked an old liberty cap near the begining but the cap fell off and we couldnt find it, and we never saw any more mushrooms like that again. My question is this:
How tall is the grass and what does it look like? because we were hunting at a horse pasture and we didnt really take alot of time to part any tall grass, which is what i am thinking is why we didnt find any. It just rained last night and on monday and on saturday, so i figured we would find some. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

PS this is my first hunting season

--------------------
Oops, I tripped!

OfflineMysterio88
Stranger
Re: Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers [Re: PSemilanceata]
    #4606587 - 09/01/05 01:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the tips everyone...im gonna get a couple of my friends....explain to them how to look for them and im going lib hunting in the fields near the mall ill post agian tomorrow night after the hunt to tell how i made out

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Loc: lazy river road
    #4606608 - 09/01/05 01:21 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

you should really go to new york city and try to buy mushrooms from people. its easier. you can also try to grow them yourself. im not trying to make you lose your hopes of finding any active mushrooms, its just gonna be a very difficult task.

--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

Offlinejohahnchristo
breaktech beatengineer

Re: Went hunting for the first time....didnt find shit....need pointers [Re: hot48yearolds]
    #4606868 - 09/01/05 02:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

please do not hunt if you don't know what to look for. the best way is to go with someone who knows. Even if you have a book with you it still won't equate to having someone who knows wha they are doing helping you out.

--------------------
Shows I will be spinning at
Where Life Begins-Aug. 27th
Epidural Sept 2nd/5th
Enchanted Remixed sept 15/16th(for those who missed the first)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification