Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Chlorophyllum molybdites: A quote from a book
    #1966326 - 09/30/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This is from page 324 of "Florida Mushrooms"
-Under the Mushroom Poisoning section;

"Chlorophyllum molybdites, the green-spored Morgan's Lepiota, is responsible for the greatest number of cases of mushroom poisonoing in North America, and in Florida. This is probably due to the fact that it is easily confused with choice edible species such as Lepiota procera and L. rhacodes, and it is one of the most common mushrooms found on lawns and pastures throughout the country, with the exception of the Pacific Northwest. When eaten raw, C. molybdites produces severe symptoms, including bloody stools, within a couple of hours. When cooked well, or parboiled and decanting the liquid before cooking, others eat and enjoy it. Eilers and Nelson (1974) found a heat-labile, high molecular weight protein which showed an adverse effect when given by intraperitoneal injection into laboratory animals."

So, i find it crazy, that the dude even mentions that they can be "parboiled and decanting the liquid before cooking"... and that's all i have to say about this.

Keep on shroomin this wonderful planet,
GGreatOne234

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Chlorophyllum molybdites: A quote from a book [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1966981 - 09/30/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have an old mushroom book (from about 1970) that lists it as edible, but poisonous to some people. One of the authors claimed to have eaten it several times without any ill effects. The other author became very ill after eating it.

Apparently some people can actually eat it without getting sick. Unfortunately, the only way known to find out is to try.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Chlorophyllum molybdites: A quote from a book [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1973099 - 10/02/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It could very well be that one can cook it and thereby negate the ill effects of the mushroom. I've seen references that state that amanita muscaria can be prepared in a way thats renders it non active. Why not the Green Spored Lepiota?

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Chlorophyllum molybdites: A quote from a book [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1973459 - 10/02/03 04:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The toxins in Chlorophyllum molybdites are definitely *not* destroyed by heat. If you're one of the people who'll get sick from eating it, cooking it isn't going to make things OK. It may destroy some toxins in it - I don't think the toxins have been chemically identified - but some of them survive.

The process with Amanita muscaria depends on the fact that the toxins are very soluble in water. So you soak the mushrooms in water and discard the water, reducing the concentration of toxins to the point where they don't cause problems.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1973828 - 10/02/03 06:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think I want to find out if I am succeptable to the toxins in chlorophyllum molybdites. I do however know two dogs that love to eat them. My friends dogs gobble up every one they can get their paws on.

Thanks for explaning about the Lepiota toxins. I'd also like to say that my post above in no way meant that someone should try to cook those mushrooms. I just was wondering about whether or not it could be the case.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Chlorophyllum molybdites: A quote from a book [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1974392 - 10/02/03 09:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

With toxins in Lepiota, you should also know that there are a few species with amatoxins, the same ones as in the deadly Amanitas. There have been numerous fatalities from them. Be sure you never eat any of the smaller Lepiotas (where caps are even sometimes less than 3 inches).

An odd thing about the genus Chlorophyllum. A few months ago a (I think she's) Swedish mycologist decided to move Lepiota rachodes to Chlorophyllum. We'll see if the professional mycology community decides to accept that.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1977120 - 10/03/03 05:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

chlorophylllum means green-gilled no?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Chlorophyllum molybdites: A quote from a book [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1977146 - 10/03/03 05:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, it does. Chlorophullum molybdites is the type species for the genus.

I haven't seen the publication, but I'll bet that it's based on DNA. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find that the DNA of Lepiota rachodes is closer to the Chlorophyllums than the Lepiotas (or Macrolepiotas).

Expect the movement of species from genus to genus to get much worse. In the end, I think the molecular biologists won't care if the mushrooms in a genus actually resemble each other, except genetically.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1977234 - 10/03/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ok, but that would be stupid to name M. rhadoces C. rhadoces, or reddening green-gill, it does have green gills.

i understand the genetics issue but you know what i mean right. come on now friends.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Chlorophyllum molybdites: A quote from a book [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1979111 - 10/04/03 01:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, you mean rhacodes, which would be Latin for "like a rag". It still doesn't have green gills, though.

That highlights another problem with moving them around. The descriptive names can end up being misleading.

Unfortunately, the rules for naming things don't allow for renaming them so that the new name makes actual sense. Priority on the species epithet is given to first publication. I wonder how long it'll be before somebody comes up with the idea (officially, that is) of going through and renaming everything so it makes more sense to them?

The biggest problem I see is that there is probably not a good solution. No matter what gets done, it's going to mess something up.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1979429 - 10/04/03 04:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

aye your right toxic.

i thought rhacodes meant reddening because many polish common names come from the latin names, and in polish it is "Czubajka czerwieniejaca" or Redding Macrolepiota.

and now in my polish atlast under "remarks" i see that it says that rhacodes means "like a rag" or closer "of being ragged"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract