Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18407450 -

lol I didn't think about that. you think bleach or alcohol residue could cause that? just a thought that i'm sure crossed your mind lol


--------------------
I have caught the Mycology bug! Not just here for the ride, i'm here for life.

How I do my bulk substrate

just another mushroom capsule TEK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18407511 -

I think a scrub down of your everything might be in order.
Outside you might consider poking through the substrate to see if it's squishy and coming from below or still strong and maybe landing on top.
You might also consider moving a chunk to agar to see what happens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: StygianKnight]
    #18407640 -

I bet you have your tubs dialed in. But what about increasing FAE after that second flush so that the spores don't have a chance to settle? :shrug:

I have a tub with APE on its fourth flush, it broke into 3 big separate sections right after the second.

I don't drill holes in my "monotubs" I literally leave the lid on the whole time, which isn't air tight - but - its in a greenhouse with a fan on for 15 minutes off the the next 15 etc.

MY theory for why the APE tub is still going strong is maybe because of such consistent FAE/ air circulation.

Then again Im getting nervous cus the things bound to contam any day now. better go check...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: TheBoomking]
    #18407772 -

Are you using tap water or bottled water for your misting/dunking?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18407822 -

At least half your pictures are not stumps at all, but contaminated parts of the substrate.  It looks like you have a problem with molds infused into the mushroom mycelium, hitchhiking along for the ride.  I've seen this many times with shiitake also. The molds and the mushroom mycelium are growing side by side.  See if you can isolate it on agar, or start over with fresh cultures.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #18407846 -

RogerRabbit said:
It looks like you have a problem with molds infused into the mushroom mycelium, hitchhiking along for the ride.
RR



:mindblown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: TheBoomking]
    #18407859 -

i'm sure frank has one or 2 cultures he can start over with lol


--------------------
I have caught the Mycology bug! Not just here for the ride, i'm here for life.

How I do my bulk substrate

just another mushroom capsule TEK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: TheBoomking]
    #18412487 -

TheBoomking said:
RogerRabbit said:
It looks like you have a problem with molds infused into the mushroom mycelium, hitchhiking along for the ride.
RR



:mindblown:



:whathesaid:

That is so weird.

Though it does go along with what I've been doing recently, which is making a couple transfers before inoculating the grains with my culture. I've thought before it would be a good idea to inoculate from a plate with no "old" mycelium present that was in storage.

The grains for these tubs were done prior to that.

It also is interesting to me that the molds go green in 3 days, almost without fail, and almost exclusively on stumps. I wish I had the foresight to take a sequence of shots so I could show you the transition between stump and green.

I have plenty of cultures to play with and I plan on getting this figured out.  First things first, I'm going to be twisting instead of cutting for a good 20+ tubs.  I'll also be continuing to keep making a few transfers before trusting a dish to be completely clean.

My question is, shouldn't I see the green either on agar or grains if the contam was present in my culture?  And if not there, shouldn't it blast me with green when I colonize the substrate? I'm perplexed as to how it could "hide" so effectively for so long.


--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:


Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Edited by FrankHorrigan (06/13/13 08:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18412820 -

It just does that.  I've seen molds stay dormant through several grain to grain transfers only to infect and sporulate over every bulk substrate.

Are you using unicorn bags by any chance?  I ended up getting a 50% fail rate with them before I switched over to mycelia bags.

Remember, mold spores can't germinate, colonize, and then sporulate within three days.  They're fast, but not that fast.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18412834 -


What's going on with this one? It looks like little sporangium sticking out if you look real closely.

Kind of hard to see they look like this, right in the center of that mold patch. Seems odd to find that on green mold.

Edited by Kizzle (06/13/13 10:20 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #18413643 -

RogerRabbit said:
It just does that.  I've seen molds stay dormant through several grain to grain transfers only to infect and sporulate over every bulk substrate.

Are you using unicorn bags by any chance?  I ended up getting a 50% fail rate with them before I switched over to mycelia bags.

Remember, mold spores can't germinate, colonize, and then sporulate within three days.  They're fast, but not that fast.
RR



That makes total sense. I was wondering about the 3 day timeframe too.

I have recently been experimenting with unicorn bags and I have not had the greatest success rate with them either.  The bottoms also have a tendency to tear when agitated so I have to be extra careful with them.

They do very well for my sawdust bags and king oysters, I had great success with them in april.  But with grains I seem to have more issues.

After reviewing my last few grows I think the main suspect right now is poorly-stored cultures in petri dishes. I was not taking any transfers, just moving them from storage to the SAB to grains. Most had pretty bad condensation problems and the parafilm had torn in places. I had wondered if/when that would come back to bite me on the ass.

It's not hard to imagine spores and bacteria landing on the mycelium and then getting knocked off on to the grains when I inoculated my jars.

Yet another harsh lesson to never cut corners. Live and learn :lol:

Oh, and Kizzle, i think you are right. I photographed that stump for that fuzzy stuff on it, I don't think there was any green mold there.


--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:


Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18413803 -

Oeric McKenna said:
Well dude, you're gonna have to harvest at sub level with a laser!

(Or say fuck it and have a beer.)




:derpyouverymuch:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #19663987 -

FrankHorrigan said:
Hacker, I thought the same thing a couple months back and I gave them a long soak in vinegar...ended up rusting the spring and had to buy new fiskars :facepalm:

I clean them with an alcohol-soaked paper towel and I make sure to do it before and after I harvest. I never leave any chunks or small pieces stuck to the scissors and yes, ty, my tubs are dialed in. This guy named Frank has a pretty good tek :lol:

Honestly though I'm sure I will figure it out, given enough time. As I'm sure you know my entire cultivation experience has been one huge uphill battle against the green.

I thought it was crazy and had a few particularly "colorful" tubs to share. I figured I'd at least dispel the idea that stumps don't rot, something I even stated up until a few months ago.



If your spring breaks go to the hardware store and buy one for 50 cents. 

Edited by invitro (03/07/14 06:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: invitro]
    #19664321 -

This thread is not about growing pot, man :confused:


--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:


Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #19664973 -

what model bag would you suggest for cubes RR


--------------------
Links To Success
finger print: A9E348E5 2A22AFB6 F3676613 A34B1454 7C36ABC8
want to chat? got xxmp/pidgin/otr PM me for info

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: Yuri.Pono]
    #19665103 -

Hey Frank

Last round, about 9 months ago, things started to go bad on me. started with losing the 5th flush, then down to 3, then 2 so on (would start with mold on stumps). Then  i started loosing tubs before fruit. I think my issue was bacteria. I was working a lot with LC, which did work great for a long while, but eventually the bacteria increased as each new LC was made from the last generation.

The mold was never in the LC as far as I can tell, but the bacteria weakened mycilium would allow for landing mold spores to prosper.

I've decided to start trying again, new from fresh spores. Wish me luck

Edited by Fuzz-nutter (03/07/14 09:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: Fuzz-nutter]
    #19665120 -

avoid the lc:thumbup:


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: cronicr]
    #19665534 -

4 pounds dry mushrooms says LC can work at times, but yes, it led to issues in the end. i'm very sad actually, it was so easy to do. i still use it for backup, and still get product

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: Fuzz-nutter]
    #19665542 -

there easy enough to start over:thumbup:


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mold growing on stumps [Re: cronicr]
    #19666153 -

:nothingtoadd:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* why does mold grow on peat? robinhood2 1,073 7 09/13/02 03:32 PM
by matts
* does cobweb mold grow fast rezin 3,009 4 02/24/02 05:54 PM
by cookiewhore
* Black mold (pin mold?) growing on plastic lids MycoInventor 2,089 2 11/17/02 12:38 AM
by MycoInventor
* Cobweb mold growing on mushroom stems? sydgore 3,132 1 12/20/01 02:59 PM
by puscle
* can mold grow on mycelium shrooming4fun 1,708 3 12/21/02 03:55 PM
by cookdandbombd
* Bacterias/Molds grow faster than mycelium World Spirit 1,575 3 04/28/02 12:57 PM
by suzie_girl
* Mycelium taking over mold? Shiznitz 2,301 1 07/27/01 01:06 AM
by puscle
* Re: What is cobweb mold and what to do about it??
( 1 2 all )
Ryche HawkV 21,783 20 04/07/00 09:15 PM
by vts1134

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
6,321 topic views. 13 members, 218 guests and 217 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.043 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.