Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Today's find (id request)
    #1963151 - 09/29/03 05:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

More mushrooms that I found while doing yardwork. I swear, for once yardwork is paying off!

A. Habitat is on a lawn in NY/NJ area.
B. Gills have a light purple color. I believe they aren't attached, but I'm not a good judge.
C. Cap is 3 inches across one way, 2 inches the other. Stem is only about 2 inches
D. Stem is solid and was very hard to seperate from the cap. Very thick as well.
E. Cap is a purplish color. Very light.
F. No sporeprint as of yet. (it's been 20 minutes)
G. No bruising as of yet
H. Smells simlar to white-button mushrooms

I'd also like to thank everyone who has been helpful to me in identifying mushrooms so far. I'm enjoying it.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Today's find (id request) [Re: Twirling]
    #1963211 - 09/29/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Probably some type of Cortinarius...not sure of the species, let me see if I can find something.

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (09/29/03 05:39 PM)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Today's find (id request) [Re: Lizard King]
    #1963248 - 09/29/03 05:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm already confused. Nevermind and wait for the toxicman to arrive, it could be some type of clitocybe? I need to do some more reading on both the cortinarius and the tricholoma family.

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Today's find (id request) [Re: Lizard King]
    #1963272 - 09/29/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks anyway. I apperiate it. I gotta lie down for a little while because I've got a headache, but I'll check back later.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1963295 - 09/29/03 06:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

One strong possibility for those is Clitocybe nuda, the Blewit, which is a choice edible.

The other is any of many species of Cortinarius.

A spore print will tell us which. The Cortinarius species have a rusty brown spore print. The Clitocybe will have a buff or pinkish buff spore print.

Let us know.

Nice specimens, descriptions, and photos, BTW.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
    #1963296 - 09/29/03 06:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This looks very like one of the species of Lepista (wood and field blewits, sometimes retained in genus Clitocybe) I find often. Lawn habitat is not typical but does not rule out. Spore print important.

If it is one of these species, then pretty nice to eat.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Today's find (id request) [Re: pluteus]
    #1963322 - 09/29/03 06:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks guys! I currently have one of the caps sitting on an index card, so I'll let you know what color the print is when it's done. The cortinarius family has some posionous ones, correct?

--------------------

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1964240 - 09/29/03 11:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, it does. The known poisonous Cortinarius are pretty much orangish rusty brown all over. The majority of Cortinarius species are of unknown edibility.

When Meinhard Moser was here in 1997, somebody asked him which Cortinarius species were edible. His response was that he wouldn't eat any of them. For those who don't know, Dr Moser was probably the world's best authority on Cortinarius until his death last year on Sep 30.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Today's find (id request) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1965828 - 09/30/03 01:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well, after a near-24 hour period of trying to get a spore print, I'm left with a very light print. I can't really tell, but I believe it's buff. It is so faded that at some angles it *looks* like it might even be rust brown. Is there any color key or way to tell it apart when it's not dark enough? I'll let it sit for awhile longer, and hopefully that will help.

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1966845 - 09/30/03 07:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Looks a heck of a lot like a blewit to me.

I wouldnt eat it unless you have a spore print though.

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1967033 - 09/30/03 08:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The spore print is pretty important for this species. It should come out a pale pinkish tan. Without a spore print - do you have a microscope and know how to use it?

Your specimens look almost exactly like the ones in various books I have, but you can't use photos for accurate mushroom identification.

If you're having trouble getting a spore print, try sprinkling a little water over the cap and put something over it to help boost the humidity. Most Cortinarius are fairly prolific spore producers, so if you only get a very pale spore print then it's probably a pale pinkish tan. Also, make sure you use sunlight instead of indoor light to evaluate the color.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1967239 - 09/30/03 09:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

After a few more hours, the spore print has gotten a bit stronger, and it starting to look pale pinkish tan. Just to make sure, I put a few small drops of water on the cap and now it's just sitting waiting for spore print trial #2. Unfortuntly, after going through all that handling, added moisture, and sitting around, it's not quite as appetizing. :wink: Still, I am pleased to have found an interesting specimen, and hopefully, if it turns out to be a blewit, I'll know how to identify them in the future.

BTW, I don't own a microscope. Hopefully the spore print will come out more when I can look at it in daylight (it's night time here).

--------------------

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1967428 - 09/30/03 10:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Remember where you found those. As with many mushrooms, they will probably come up at the same spot in the future.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1967443 - 09/30/03 10:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, luckly it was right smack dab in the middle of my backyard, so I'm hopeful to see more!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification