Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver culture?
    #1961437 - 09/28/03 10:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
I don't have anything against individuals who rave, as not everyone thrown into a stereotype are that way. That said, I was just wondering if anyone else hated all that raver crap.

The neon colored beads, going from wrist to elbow, the huge fucking wind pants, that somehow become capris (?), the glow sticks, the fake obsession with things like pacman, and super mario, the passafiers, the phrase P.L.U.R.

Just the whole fucking package.  And especially how they always hang out at the mall? does this happen anywhere else? I don't really care for the mall anyway, but there is a movie theater there, and there is this little area with benches, and a payphone, that is separated by a street going right in front of the entrance to the movie theater/arcade section of the mall. anyway, theres always ravers and "punk" kids just loitering there all the time. It's so common, that that little spot has gotten the nickname "raver island" and if you said that to people, they'd know what you're talking about.

Seriously, all the raver kids, wtf is wrong with you. I obviously have no problem with drugs (mushrooms and pot at least) and I don't have a problem with kids just being kids, but why the fuck that particular cultural lifestyle?

alright done bitchin about ravers, bye. 

singin'

...I'm not a raver, I just mush a lot...

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver culture? [Re: shwowsh]
    #1961486 - 09/28/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

damn, I wish there were a spot in my city where ravers just hung out

damn cops chased us all into the shadows

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: shwowsh] * 1
    #1961504 - 09/28/03 11:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I could have sworn the kandykid rave scene pretty much faded away in 1999 and 2000 with all the media attention on MDMA and party culture - even then it seemed to be our last days. Guess there are nostalgic pockets here and there. Every rebellious, adventurous, wild youth culture is assimilated into the Spectacle eventually. I was quite big into that scene :thumbup: We never hung out at the mall though, quite the opposite.

All in all, I learned how to love and open up from my experiences as a raver  :heart:

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: Xochitl] * 1
    #1961580 - 09/28/03 11:47 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What is wrong with Plur? Peace Love Unity Respect -- if more ppl believe in those there would be alot less wars.. Not sayin im a huge raver but i do like the scene i LOVE glitter girls when im rollin and love techno.. and no i havent see a raver at a mall in years must be where your located

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: shwowsh]
    #1961627 - 09/29/03 12:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

At one point I was a little interested in it, so I bought a book about the raving culture. I have never attended a rave and do not plan to.

--------------------

Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

Loc: Second star on the right.
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: Zahid]
    #1961648 - 09/29/03 12:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Here is a post I made on another message board kind of defending plur. It makes me out to be a bit more bitchy than I really am, but this one person kind of set me off, so I felt obliged to defend myself:

Hmmm well let me put it this way, I don't think PLUR was meant to be like, hey the whole world should be doing this, it was more of a concept of diplomacy or chivalry (sp?). I am so sick and tired of people thinking that if you enjoy or believe in the ideals of PLUR that must mean you love everyone, hug everyone, and get along with everyone. That is bullshit. Plain and simple. I can believe in PLUR and if some asshole really wants to start something I will fucking kill him, no second thoughts.

I believe in PLUR. If someone treats me nice I wil sure as hell do my best to be as friendly as possible back. I realize that in no time in history did everyone get along. I also never said anything about changing the fucking world. And I am sorry you cannot love a perfect stranger, I am sorry you have the inability to have compassion for Joe Average on the street, I am sorry you cannot see past your little boxed up world.

You may not be able to feel inner peace that allows you to see through unclouded eye, but I do.

You may never be able to love a "stranger", but I can.

You might not feel the unity of being, the fluid state of bliss, but I can.

You may never feel the respect one should give to all things, but I can.

And for this I pity you, I love you and I respect you. You are human.... flawed, confused, and impossible.... yet there you are, the very definition of perfection through imperfection, as are we all. This is what I feel plur is, it isn't WWJD is isn't something to sew on your "phat pants" or something to write in marker on your arm. It isn't a tee shirt you should sell, it isn't something that should be advertised. It is something that should be felt and lived. That is the biggest problem.

PLUR as it stands for most people is a sorry excuse of what it should be, PLUR is disney for most people, PLUR is a retarded excuse to take a chick home and bang her in every orface after a party. But PLUR really is none of these things.

Just my 3 dollars and 82 cents.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1961689 - 09/29/03 01:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Exactly. I don't get what people have against PLUR. Personally, I love rave culture. There are a few things I would change about it, like 13-year-olds on E and the cooler-than-thou attitude of so many Junglists I've met, but overall I think it's great. I've met some of the most interesting people at raves, and I always have a good time, whether I'm fucked up or sober. And even tho I don't wear candy anymore, I'm still cool with the candykids. Raving isn't what it used to be, but goddammit I still love it.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: silversoul7]
    #1961710 - 09/29/03 01:15 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

man, you sould have seen it in the early 90's. it was great.back then, everyone thought electronic music was 80's crap. they didnt even know what was going on under the surface.

but like everything else that is good, the kiddy's got a hold of it.
when i started seeing raves advertised on billboards and flyers, i knew it was over. people started showing up for the drugs, not the music and people. to me, true "rave culture" ended somewhere in 1998.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

Loc: lounging betwixt lobes...
    #1961756 - 09/29/03 01:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver culture

yep, its just you :tongue:

i see what your saying, however.  it wasn't always like that.  it used to take a fairly intellegent and open minded person to even find a rave.  now it's been dumbed down and marketed to the kids alongside rap and punk.

--------------------
Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhisvah

Formula: 0

Edited by BrainFarmer (09/29/03 02:05 AM)

InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

Loc: lounging betwixt lobes...
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: automan]
    #1961759 - 09/29/03 02:02 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

man, you sould have seen it in the early 90's. it was great.back then, everyone thought electronic music was 80's crap. they didnt even know what was going on under the surface.

but like everything else that is good, the kiddy's got a hold of it.
when i started seeing raves advertised on billboards and flyers, i knew it was over. people started showing up for the drugs, not the music and people. to me, true "rave culture" ended somewhere in 1998.

you took the words right out of my mouth.  have you seen ads for "spinheads"?  little plastic figures of djs being marketed to kids.  then there's the infamous kool-aid rave comercial where the koolaid man is behind the decks with some psy-trance in the background :rolleyes:

i'm fortunate enough to know some folx who throw private parties that are quite reminicient of the good ol days.

PLUR! (motherfucker!)
:lol:
BF 

--------------------
Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhisvah

Formula: 0

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #1962005 - 09/29/03 05:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:

During this time (80's and 90's)I was living in San Francisco between tours. We were hearing about these things called raves in abscure parts of the bay area. So one night we grabed an 1/2 ounce of pure MDMA powder and went(this was back when X came in cheap pure powder not dirty compressed pills). This was before people knew what raves were. It was a bay area thing. Well I was in awe at what I saw. It was a tribal dance festival of loving people. We gave away all our MDMA because we were so impressed and wanted to feed the energy. It was a new scene and it was very special. I had never seen that much energy before except at Dead shows. There was really something magical going on. All those people connecting. :heart: :thumbup:

As the years rolled on I would go to a rave every great once in awhile if I was in California at the right time(mabye 1-2 a year). I started hearing about them all over the country. The ones in San Fran got to be massive and I found it less comfortable. Now it seems that like a lot of dreams it became popular and dirty. Lots of money could be made at raves. A couple years ago I was going to college in the midwest and heard about a rave. I had to laugh. I went and it was as fake as a 3 dollar bill. Full of glow sticks,kegs,and  crystal meth.

I have no idea if the rave culture survives since I wasn't a part of it, but just a witness to it. I hear it has and hasn't. Seems like the X market has turned very dirty. Back then there wasn't pressed pills. I guess money and greed fucked that up.
At the time it seemed like it was a special thing with great possibility's.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: chinacat72]
    #1962308 - 09/29/03 08:58 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ok well maybe the scene isn't as big as it was and i'm just getting around to bitchin about it now. And I don't think that PLUR is a bad idea, or that the message it tries to send isn't positive, I just think that more people just pick it up as a trend item because other ravers did it, and not many really even cared about believing/following its message. And i'd never heard about how it was much cooler in the 80's and 90's but I can believe it because everything and anything "cool" slowly gets infected by younger and younger crowds who somehow destroy it. its just bound to happen that way.

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver cultur [Re: shwowsh]
    #1962324 - 09/29/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

What's interesting is no matter how long you've been in the rave scene, you've probably seen it deteriorate. I started raving in 2001, which, I'm told, was after the rave scene "died." Yet I remember the raves back then being way better than the more recent ones I've been to.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleRunDMT
H?L? GH??
    #1962332 - 09/29/03 09:12 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shwowsh said:
:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
I don't have anything against individuals who rave, as not everyone thrown into a stereotype are that way. That said, I was just wondering if anyone else hated all that raver crap.

The neon colored beads, going from wrist to elbow, the huge fucking wind pants, that somehow become capris (?), the glow sticks, the fake obsession with things like pacman, and super mario, the passafiers, the phrase P.L.U.R.

Just the whole fucking package.  And especially how they always hang out at the mall? does this happen anywhere else? I don't really care for the mall anyway, but there is a movie theater there, and there is this little area with benches, and a payphone, that is separated by a street going right in front of the entrance to the movie theater/arcade section of the mall. anyway, theres always ravers and "punk" kids just loitering there all the time. It's so common, that that little spot has gotten the nickname "raver island" and if you said that to people, they'd know what you're talking about.

Seriously, all the raver kids, wtf is wrong with you. I obviously have no problem with drugs (mushrooms and pot at least) and I don't have a problem with kids just being kids, but why the fuck that particular cultural lifestyle?

alright done bitchin about ravers, bye. 

singin'

...I'm not a raver, I just mush a lot...

That whole neon colored-mushroom-printed-seizure-having-bubblegum-chewing shit was invented by rebellious little 16 year olds. And it's rarely what you encounter on the "real" forest parties up in Scandinavia. We have a very active scene here, due to us spawning a  couple of the most popular types of psytrance at date.

At clubs though, with the so called "trance" music (which is nothing but an attempt at remarketing the 1992 dance-era), that's where these so called ravers hang. Everyone I know who's active in the scene and culture takes their distance from these stupid little beings.

Swing by Sweden sometime, I'll show you how we do it at forest parties in the deep dark woods. :wink: 

OfflineCheebatoke
Toker
Loc: Southern TX
    #1962368 - 09/29/03 09:40 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Good Riddance

--------------------
The only thing permanent is change.

Anonymous

#1962872 - 09/29/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i dont mind what ravers do in an industrial area or the forest,its the fucking "doof doof" fuckwits in their little 4 cylinder shitboxes that have me on the edge of getting a gun and putting 15 slugs into the dash of their fucking cars.what kind of fuckwit actually thinks other people want to hear a fucking computerized drumbeat.fuck just writing this made my bloodpressure rise......breath in ,out, relax,breath in ,out, relax.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver culture? [Re: ]
    #1962924 - 09/29/03 02:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

i see what your saying, however. it wasn't always like that. it used to take a fairly intellegent and open minded person to even find a rave. now it's been dumbed down and marketed to the kids alongside rap and punk.

bingo

I used to go to a rave and end up talking to complete strangers about cool shit like astrophysics and the occult.

Now, its like "what kind of clothes are you wearing?" "What kind of car do you drive?" "Did you buy the new Britney albumn?"

Or even worse yet, you get the kind of parties where no one talks to anyone but people they know, and it ends up being very cliquish.

I guess along with mainstream success came superficiality and the loss of the original ideals that the movement was based on.

But there is hope. Now that the fad has come and gone, the rave scene has a chance to reconstruct itself from the ground up. Already I'm starting to see clubs play less and less "rave" music, which means the only place to hear it is underground abondoned warehouse and field parties. Hopefully we can keep the yuppies from finding out about it this time.

OfflineSolitude
protector of theKitab Al-Alzif
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver culture? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1962929 - 09/29/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

yes the rave culture sux hard

--------------------
More lucid now the dreams become in which the forest dark and cold await me to engulf my soul within the flames of eternal sleep.

"I await this day with no fear ,but the knowlege that that most rewarding and enlightening experiance of life is death." - Chinacat

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver culture? [Re: RunDMT]
    #1963037 - 09/29/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RunDMT said:

Swing by Sweden sometime, I'll show you how we do it at forest parties in the deep dark woods. :wink: 

sounds like the parties we used to have in the industrial district.

disco went back underground in '80 and re-emerged as "raves" in '90.
since great raves are going back to warehouses and the forest in '02, i wonder what will re-emerge '12? 

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the raver culture? [Re: automan]
    #1963094 - 09/29/03 03:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Primal human rituals that involve dancing, trance states, entheogenic allies, and rhythmic music will always active somewhere just below the surface of mainstream culture.

The emphasis in house music and rave culture on physiologically compatible rhythms and this sort of thing is really the rediscovery of the art of natural magic with sound, that sound, properly understood, especially percussive sound, can actually change neurological states, and large groups of people getting together in the presence of this kind of music are creating a telepathic community of bonding that hopefully will be strong enough that it can carry the vision out into the mainstream of society. - Terrence Mckenna Re:Evolution

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom