Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Frown Beams
    #1930920 - 09/18/03 10:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

After reading this editorial -- http://www.startribune.com/stories/561/4101486.html -- blogger James Lilek decided to respond. Some excerpts:

I can't help but come back to the central theme these edits imply: we should have left Iraq alone. We should have left this charnel house stand. We should have bought a wad of nice French cotton to shove in our ears so the buzz of the flies over the graves didn't distract us from the important business of deciding whether Syria or China should have the rotating observer-status seat in the Oil-for-Palaces program. Afghanistan, well, that's understandable, in a way; we were mad. We lashed out. But we should have stopped there, and let the UN deploy its extra-strong Frown Beams against the Iraqi ambassador in the hopes that Saddam would reduce the money he gave to Palestinian suicide bombers down to five grand. Five grand! Hell, that hardly covers the parking tickets your average ambassador owes to the city of New York; who'd blow themselves up for that.

Would the editorialists of the nation be happier if Saddam was still cutting checks to people who blew up not just our allies, but our own citizens? I'd like an answer. Please. Essay question: "Families of terrorists who blow up men, women and children, some of whom are Americans, no longer receive money from Saddam, because Saddam no longer rules Iraq. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Explain."

In short: the same people who chide America for its short attention span think we should have stopped military operations after the Taliban was routed. (And they quite probably opposed that, for the usual reasons.) The people who think it's all about oil like to snark that we should go after Saudi Arabia. The people who complain that the current administration is unable to act with nuance and diplomacy cannot admit that we have completely different approaches for Iraq, for Iran, for North Korea. The same people who insist we need the UN deride the Administration when it gives the UN a chance to do something other than throw rotten fruit.

The same people who accuse America of coddling dictators are sputtering with bilious fury because we actually deposed one.

pinky's note -- "extra-strong Frown Beams"... hee hee hee! That's a classic!

pinky

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Frown Beams [Re: Phred]
    #1931578 - 09/19/03 03:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The same people who accuse America of coddling dictators are sputtering with bilious fury because we actually deposed one.

Too true.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Frown Beams [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1931584 - 09/19/03 03:58 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I believe the technical term is "henpecked".

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Frown Beams [Re: Phred]
    #1931626 - 09/19/03 05:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

a load of crap.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineDava
journeyman
Loc: Belgium
Re: Frown Beams [Re: GazzBut]
    #1931666 - 09/19/03 05:52 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

In short: the same people who chide America for its short attention span think we should have stopped military operations after the Taliban was routed.

You call that routed? The taliban are still in Afghanistan and posing once again a major threat to the stability and peace.
I call it a regime shift. Afghanistan has now a pro-western regime but also a war going on. But why would we care? They are pro-western now so they ll do anything, inclusive stop wanking about their little taliban-problem.

Quote:

I'd like an answer. Please. Essay question: "Families of terrorists who blow up men, women and children, some of whom are Americans, no longer receive money from Saddam, because Saddam no longer rules Iraq.

Do you really think the suicide-attacks in Israel will stop because of this? I d like an answer. Please. Essay question : Suicide bombers aren't rewarded anymore by Saddam Hussein because the US put him out of place. However, the anti-american-feeling in the WHOLE world has rised greatly due to the iraq-war. This causes a greater risk of terroristic attacks against the western world and mainly the us. Is this a good or a bad thing?

On a sidenote, why is rewarding ppl who blow up israelis not okay while funding and arming ppl who blow up russians is more than ok? (Taliban)

--------------------
"These psychedelic substances cause hysterical psychoses in people who have not taken them..."
- Timothy Leary

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Frown Beams [Re: Dava]
    #1931703 - 09/19/03 06:40 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You call that routed? The taliban are still in Afghanistan and posing once again a major threat to the stability and peace.
I call it a regime shift. Afghanistan has now a pro-western regime but also a war going on. But why would we care? They are pro-western now so they ll do anything, inclusive stop wanking about their little taliban-problem.

NATO is considering expanding the international security force in Afgahnistan, there are only 5,500 "peacekeepers" there at the moment... But wait whats that..... Which countries are asking to increase that number and expand the international security operations there? The USA and Germany....

Quote:

Do you really think the suicide-attacks in Israel will stop because of this? I d like an answer. Please. Essay question : Suicide bombers aren't rewarded anymore by Saddam Hussein because the US put him out of place. However, the anti-american-feeling in the WHOLE world has rised greatly due to the iraq-war. This causes a greater risk of terroristic attacks against the western world and mainly the us. Is this a good or a bad thing?

Who actually said anything like that, noone has stated that suicide bombings in Israel will cease because of the Iraq war... Counties's anti-american sentiment may have increased and I agree perhaps you could say Amercia has made itself more of a target for terrorists. But personally I think the risk of a terrorist attack succeeding has decreased due to better security, better training etc....

Quote:

On a sidenote, why is rewarding ppl who blow up israelis not okay while funding and arming ppl who blow up russians is more than ok? (Taliban)

LOL, perhaps its in-built in certain libbies to constantly direct questions to us as if we're actually the government...

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineDava
journeyman
Re: Frown Beams [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1931751 - 09/19/03 07:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

But personally I think the risk of a terrorist attack succeeding has decreased due to better security, better training etc....

9-11 would never had been so devastating if there weren't big security errors THAT day. Noone was held responisble, noone got fired for those errors. Or yes, they did fire ppl, those who posed questions about it. So there is no reason whatsoever to say that those errors will not happen again.

Quote:

LOL, perhaps its in-built in certain libbies to constantly direct questions to us as if we're actually the government...

What a stupid way of not answering to the question.

Well, lets see
Excerpt from the editorial :

I'd like an answer. Please. Essay question: "Families of terrorists who blow up men, women and children, some of whom are Americans, no longer receive money from Saddam, because Saddam no longer rules Iraq. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Explain."

>> I am not answering this! Am i the government? Is this a editorial for the government? I dont think so, stupid editorial! Evil editorial! Hah, its certainly a libbie editorial!

--------------------
"These psychedelic substances cause hysterical psychoses in people who have not taken them..."
- Timothy Leary

Edited by Dava (09/19/03 07:24 AM)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1931768 - 09/19/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Your arguments here make me laugh. The Russians were an invading force in Afghanistan, the Israelis are not. They have the right to live in their country without having their children attacked by suicide bombers. The Taliban did not really exist as it did recently during the war anyway. They were installed by the Pakistanis.

The 'you are a bigger target for terrorists now' argument is just silly to me. Obviously we were already a pretty big target. If a group of people wants to kill you, you don't try to reason with them, or ignore them and hope they will go away. You kill them first.

Of course Saddam no longer being able to support terror is a good thing, unless you are a member of Hamas.

Things have changed in this country security-wise. Honestly though, you can never be completely prepared. If that were possible the Israelis of all people would be. We have taken some ques from them in our airport security. More needs to be done, and it will be. Monday morning quarterbacking sure is easy for people like you.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1931771 - 09/19/03 07:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

9-11 would never had been so devastating if there weren't big security errors THAT day. Noone was held responisble, noone got fired for those errors. Or yes, they did fire ppl, those who posed questions about it. So there is no reason whatsoever to say that those errors will not happen again.

I was referring to present security proceedures. As for these failures happening again, I am saying security is now more stringent people will always make mistakes its called human error

Quote:

Quote:

What a stupid way of not answering to the question.

Well, lets see
Excerpt from the editorial :

I'd like an answer. Please. Essay question: "Families of terrorists who blow up men, women and children, some of whom are Americans, no longer receive money from Saddam, because Saddam no longer rules Iraq. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Explain."

>> I am not answering this! Am i the government? Is this a editorial for the government? I dont think so, stupid editorial! Evil editorial! Hah, its certainly a libbie editorial!

I see nothing more than a rant in response to a comepltely different point....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineDava
journeyman
Re: Frown Beams [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1931783 - 09/19/03 07:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Your arguments here make me laugh. The Russians were an invading force in Afghanistan

So are the americans in Iraq.
Hail to all iraqi resistance then!

Quote:

Monday morning quarterbacking sure is easy for people like you.

You cant give up personal insults huh? Altho i have no idea at all what monday morning quarterbacking means (english is my third language), i sure can smell its nothing friendly.

Quote:

I see nothing more than a rant in response to a comepltely different point....

This is ranting. Mine was a sarcastic note.

--------------------
- Timothy Leary

Edited by Dava (09/19/03 07:55 AM)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1931791 - 09/19/03 08:02 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It isn't an insult. Basically, it means that it is easy to criticize after the fact.

The Iraqis that don't want us there have every right to fight us, and they are doing it now and we are killing them off and capturing them. I never said what we did in Afghanistan was necessarily the correct thing to do, but comparing it to funding suicide bombers is wrong. The Russians were soldiers from an invadiing army not women and children returning from prayer services.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1931797 - 09/19/03 08:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps you should learn how to direct your responses to the relevant persons... Until then your posts are merely self-derogatory..

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #1932093 - 09/19/03 10:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

On a sidenote, why is rewarding ppl who blow up israelis not okay
while funding and arming ppl who blow up russians is more than ok?
(Taliban)

Because the Islamic fighters of the 1980's, that the US funded in
Afghanistan, targeted Russian troops. The terrorists that target
Israel do not target military targets. They intentionally blow up
innocent civilians. If the Palestinians stuck to blowing up troops
and military outposts, then I would have much more respect for them.
Instead they try to kill innocent women and children.

Notice the double standard in the Arab world. The Palestinians
kill innnocent civilians....no Arab raises a single word of complaint.
Israel responds to the attack and intentionally targets the people
that are combatants(Hamas members...etc..) and the Arab world is
up in a furor about the "unrestrained", "unwarranted", and
"violent" actions of the Israelis. Don't you think that is a
tad bit hypocritical?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Frown Beams [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1932154 - 09/19/03 11:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

But thats all part of the cycle of Armament/disarmament. As Bill Hicks once said, we arm these little shithole countries and then we go in and disarm them. Its all just a big excuse to sell weapons, IMO.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Frown Beams [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1932788 - 09/19/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe if the Palenstinians were armed to the teeth by the U.S. like Israel,they wouldn't have to resort to suicide bombings and things of that nature. If the Israeili's didn't have Apache helicopters and all those tanks,they would be blowing themselves up left and right.

And we all know that Israeli soldiers have never targeted innocent civilians.But I guess that's OK because they have nifty uniforms and official mandates.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Frown Beams [Re: monoamine]
    #1932801 - 09/19/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Arabs have been intentionally targeting civillians since the beginning of the whole damn conflict. When they all attacked Israel in '48 they had every intention of killing every last Jew in the region. The director of the Arab League said it and so did the Palestinian leader Husseini. Take up for the terrorist scumbags all you like. I don't care.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Re: Frown Beams [Re: shakta]
    #1932847 - 09/19/03 02:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry over the fact that you refuse to see both sides as fucked up.

I don't know about you,but being shot in the face by a guy in army garb with an uzi or guy with a bomb strapped to his chest in sandles probably wouldn't make much difference to me.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1932900 - 09/19/03 02:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The targeting of innocent civilians is not just a desperate tactic for the armed palestinian organizations, it has been a strategy for several decades. Some things have changed though: they no longer attack targets in Europe like they did in the 1970s, they no longer kidnap innocent westerners like they did in the 1980s, and they didn't realize until recently that they could fool young arabs into becoming human bombs by promising a free ride to islamic heaven where they get 72 virgins to have sex with.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1932907 - 09/19/03 03:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

monoamine said:
I don't know whether I should laugh or cry over the fact that you refuse to see both sides as fucked up.

Do you think both sides are equally 'fucked up'?

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Re: Frown Beams [Re: shakta]
    #1932955 - 09/19/03 03:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I see any kind of fundalmentalist justifying violence on religious beliefs as fucked up,whether it's Judaic,Christian,Islamic,Hindu,Buttfuckism-whatever. And Zionism in many ways is the ultimate example of fundalmentalism.

I wish I could contact some of these Palenstians and Jews that visit this board and rave together (I've talked to several of these people,but sadly I cannot remember their screen names or they do not post anymore). They'll both tell you exactly the same thing-these fucks on both sides are ruining it for everyone.

--------------------
Douglas Adams

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder