Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
DSL and DNS errors
    #1929068 - 09/18/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My dsl has messed up recently. I am running windows XP professional, and whenever i try to load pages i get a DNS error. I go to the comman prompt and i type ftp, and i get a response saying socket. I dont know if anyone has come across this problem before. But basically my computer says im connected but im not able to connect to any ip's. Im wondering if its the computer or my Virtual Circuit to my internet. If anyone knows what that means. I guess its basically what allows them to know that i have internet. WEll anyway, i cant connect to the internet. And i wanted to know if anyone else knows about this and could help me out. I have been away for so long... so long....

--------------------
What?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: DSL and DNS errors [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1929185 - 09/18/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

99% of all network problems are wire related. Make sure you have a good connection and that everything is plugged in properly.

goto Start->run and type "cmd" (and enter, no quotes) A terminal window appear.

in the window, type "ipconfig /all" and see what it says. (Don't post the output... it contains your local IP address which people could use to try and figure out who you are!)

You should have values for both Default Gateway and DNS.

Now type "ping ###.###.###.###" where ###'s are the numbers for your default gateway. Do you get a reply back other than "Request timed out"? If so, then you are at least talking to your network router. If not, then the problem is before your network router (i.e. your computer or the line between your computer and the WAN)

If you were able to ping the gateway, next run ping again, but with the IP address of the DNS servers. If those pings go through, type "nslookup" and see if it errors out or not. If it does not error out, you will end up at a ">" prompt. Type in a name, such as www.shroomery.org and it should resolve the name to an ip address. Type "exit" to leave nslookup.

If you got this far and everything has worked that I asked you to try, then you have a config problem within your web browser somewhere. If you didn't make it this far, let me know how far you did make it and I can give you some more debugging tips to help isolate the problem.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: DSL and DNS errors [Re: Seuss]
    #1931896 - 09/19/03 09:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

no man, i never made it past the pinging part. I try to ping and it doesnt send any information back. ie. *error, could not connect to host network* or some bullshit like that. I spent like 4 hours on the phone with the techs at SBC. he said i should take it to my friends who has dsl, and if it works there than its my virtual circuit. I just havent gotten around to going over there. Other than that i dont know what it could be in side some kind of script error. I went through all the different setup options, but that didnt do anything.

--------------------
What?

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #1932059 - 09/19/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

bastards at sbc, they can tell if its your circuit or not...

They ought to be able to connect to the card your connected to at the CO, then they can connect to your modem, and get all kinds of neat info like, how long since the power has been cycled, how longs its gone without disconnecting the ammount of data passed through. If they cant connect to it theres either a problem in thier circuit or a problem in your houses phone wiring (you rememberd to install all your filters right?). They can also make the "modem" reset, update and other fun stuff.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: DSL and DNS errors [Re: windex]
    #1933228 - 09/19/03 05:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

im sorry, maybe i didnt say this. But i do connect... But i cant browse, and i cant send or get any information. Nothing loads... just the DNS error at the bottom of the web page, and "web page cannot be loaded".

--------------------
What?

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #1933819 - 09/19/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i belive sbc dsl uses pppoe... did you get that setup?

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1948806 - 09/24/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you have 1 nic, go into device manager and remove the nic. reboot and rebuild your connection from scratch. Ofter this is the quickest way to fix a connection problem that is software related. Well first youi could verify that you are getting ip, default gateway and DNS info from dhcp if that is how your isp is set up. It souds like you are getting layers 1-3 ok but failing in the higher OSI layers. XP has pppoe built in but it never worked for me. I use RASPPPOE client to connect to my ISP.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: DSL and DNS errors [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1948852 - 09/24/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ive seen instances where IE fscks up and thats the end of the story, gotta format and reinstall to fix it. I hope thats not the problem in your case, but ive seen it..

Invisiblelongshot
title of what?

Loc: Farther North than you
    #1949181 - 09/24/03 06:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Try to rebuild like mntlfngrs said. I had DSL for years and had very similar probs.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: DSL and DNS errors [Re: longshot]
    #1987941 - 10/07/03 07:17 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I finally got that bullshit fixed! its been like 5 weeks since ive had internet .... :sad: ... sniffelz*.  :eyemouth: im back now! I had to get my computer re formated. At least now i dont have to worry about all that ms blast shit being on my computer, my updates are all Up To Date. IM getting back in business. Thanks for everyones help... now i can do all my mischevious scheming... MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Haha. Ha.. :smile: 

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale