Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesunyata
nonexistentexistentialist
kernel stack inpage error?
    #1375878 - 03/14/03 12:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey folks. I was just wondering if any of the computer experts in this forum might know what this term means, and why I get this error... What happens is my computer freezes up, then I get that SCARY blue screen and a message that says "KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR", then it reboots and can't find the primary hard drive. I let it rest a bit, turned it back on, and thank god, it works fine. However, this has happened to me twice in the last couple of weeks. Any clues y'all can provide would be much appreciated; internet searches provided me with next to zilch... Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer some insight.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: kernel stack inpage error? [Re: sunyata]
    #1376183 - 03/14/03 02:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Are you sure it isn't saying 'PAGING ERROR'? Because if it is and your system can't find your primary hard drive, this tells me it's time to replace your hard drive. Windows will 'page' out memory to your hard drive (when it runs out of ram), treating the hard drive as 'virtual memory.' If when paging out to the hard drive and there is a problem with the hard drive, I can see how this would f**k up your system (operationally speaking). If you have a secondary hard drive, try changing your virtual memory settings to use this. BUT YOU STILL SHOULD REPLACE YOUR PRIMARY HARD DRIVE BEFORE IT'S TOTALLY INOPERABLE. Do not wait till you can't ever bring your computer up again.

Go to 'Start'
'Settings'
'Control Panel'
'System'
select the 'Performance' tab
click the 'Virtual Memory' button
select 'Let me specify my own virtual memory settings.'
select another hard disk - the drives listed are drives set up on various partitions, make sure that you are selecting a drive letter that is on a different physical drive.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesunyata
Re: kernel stack inpage error? [Re: Evolving]
    #1376691 - 03/14/03 06:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey thanks for the reply. However, it DEFINITELY says Kernel Stack Inpage Error. I would be inclined to agree with you about it being a faulty hard drive except I just replaced the hd two months ago because my old one went kaput due to the same error (a detail I left out of my first post for the sake of brevity). This to me pretty much rules out that it is the hard drive at fault; the last one went down and never came back up but this time it rebooted and -- thank whoever -- it survived.

I wonder if it is a problem with the motherboard or the ram I have? I really have no idea what I'm talking about... Any idea where I might be best off looking for more info? A google search turned up a couple of obscure pages where someone had the same problem but nobody seems to know what it is or what to do about it. One person suggested that his computer might be overheating; my fan works fine but I do leave my computer on a long time and maybe that's contributing to the problem?

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1376754 - 03/14/03 07:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I would be inclined to agree with you about it being a faulty hard drive except I just replaced the hd two months ago because my old one went kaput due to the same error (a detail I left out of my first post for the sake of brevity). This to me pretty much rules out that it is the hard drive at fault; the last one went down and never came back up but this time it rebooted and -- thank whoever -- it survived.

It is not unheard of that a new hard drive will fail. I've worked in IT departments at several companies and it has happened several times in my experience.

I went to Microsoft's web site and searched on the error, but could find nothing. The closest match I found is here.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: sunyata]
    #1376852 - 03/14/03 08:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Alien Substrate Instructional:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG82xLzrNg8

Edited by Alien (03/14/03 08:23 PM)

Invisiblesunyata
Re: kernel stack inpage error? [Re: Alien]
    #1395231 - 03/20/03 12:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey fellas, thanks a bunch for your replies. It has happened a couple more times since I posted this, and I noticed that it also says "beginning dump of physical memory" on the blue screen when the error occurs. The error only seems to happen if I have too many programs (ie, more than one) running at the same time. If I just do one thing at a time, it seems I am fine. One operation that causes this error every time is when I try to defrag the hard drive.

I went to MS' support site and came up with this after a little intensive searching, but I must admit I really don't know what it means or what I should do from this point. Anyone care to take the time to decode it for me?

------------------------------------------

Stop Error 0x00000077
Stop error number:

(0x00000077)

Descriptive text:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

Usual cause:

The requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

To troubleshoot Stop error 0x00000077
Using a current version of your virus-protection software, check for viruses on your computer. If you find a virus, perform the steps required to eliminate it from your computer. See your antivirus software documentation for these steps.

If the computer is formatted with NTFS, restart your computer, and then run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. If you cannot start the system due to the error, use the Command Console and run Chkdsk /r.

Run any system diagnostics supplied by your computer manufacturer, especially the memory check.

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

---------------------------------

So that's it. Don't know what else to say. Do y'all think it is worthwhile to change my BIOS options as specified here? Is there any risk of fucking things up worse? It's my gf's computer so I don't want to do anything I can't undo... Thanks again for your help guys.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#1395462 - 03/20/03 02:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would try the things Microsoft lists, in the order listed. Yes, if the other options fail, by all means try to disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

--------------------

OfflineLasairfion
Stranger
Re: kernel stack inpage error? [Re: Evolving]
    #6499182 - 01/26/07 02:54 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Here am I, going to dredge up an old topic, in the hope that either those who were here then, or perhaps those here now, with techie style knowledge can shed some light.

My problem is exactly the same as the one already stated. Only this is 2007, XP Service Pack 2, and my much beleagured, as of late, desktop PC.

I have gone through every website I can find on this error, and I have turned off system caching, run virus checks, run spybot, checked my firewall, unplugged my DLink ethernet modem, and you name it, it still happens.

I have also got through not 2, but 5 hard disks (3 Maxtor, 2 Western Digitals all SATA II drives) in my quest to find one that this does not happen to. But despite ghosting across my system to a new disk, there doesn't seem to be any luck. It still keeps happening. I also tried a complete fresh install, and that hasn't helped either.

I've checked all my drivers, updated every program, driver, bios etc that could possiby be out of date, and waggled everything that could possibly be loose.

Any ideas?

P.S. I cant believe I joined a mushroom site to ask this... But it does all looks rather interesting you know.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology