Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Psilocybe pelliculosa and bluing Inocybe Oregon
    #18854000 -

Found a wooded trail system today that i explored. It was fenced in with barbed wire, goes through the woods with grass trail. A ton of cow shit everywhere. There were hundreds of lobster mushrooms and Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca.

Then i found this guy in a strange spot, no grass just moss and some ground cover foliage. in the woods. But there was cow shit everywhere.

light purple gills, hygrophanous, seperatable gelatinous pellicle..

Habitat






Then i found this bluing Inocybe, the bluing is alot stronger than in the pictures. I often find Inocybe calamistrata but they are always with a long slinder stipe unlike these.

They appear to have white gill edges.






Could it be they are just really fat calamistrata? or are they another species of bluing Inocybe?


--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Edited by OregonBlueShroom (09/17/13 08:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18854041 -

Your "semilanceata" would make more sense as a pelliculosa. Insofar as I know no active Inocybe grows in our state. Very cool finds! :congrats:


--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.



AMU Q&A

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #18854052 -

I thought about pelliculosa too because of where it was found, no grass.. but i figured maybe the mass amount of cow shit around made up for it :shrug: Either way I am happy to find it.

And i wouldnt want to try an active Inocybe anyways. But the bluing inocybes are always fun to find. Inocybe calamistrata is one of my favorites to find and enjoy looking at the bluing but i think these may be another species.


--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18854457 -

I think pelliculosa as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: jet li]
    #18854493 -

jet li said:
I think pelliculosa as well.



I agree that Inocybe doesn't look like I.calamistrata.:cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #18854965 -

I went back to the area and checked very thoroughly for any more. I looked in the surrounding area for over 2 hours and did not find another. I guess i got very lucky to find this tiny mushroom in my long trek.

A bit more about the habitat, it does not fit semilanceata habitat at all. There is cow shit throughout the area but none anywhere close to the spot where the psilo was found. Its all trees/ferns/forest type area. So ill call it pelliculosa, This is my first psilocybe find of the year and my first time finding pelliculosa so im happy :smile:


--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18855455 -

:headbang3:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #18855529 -

I think your Inocybe is in the I. calamistrata group.  It is unusually chunky.  Check the odor, check for red staining where bruised, and also check for blue staining where bruised.

It would also be cool to have a pic of the spores.  Species in the I. calamistrata group have smooth spores that are shaped like beans.


Looks like it is growing with Abies, correct?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #18855542 -

It has a very strong odor, not really pleasant. almost chemically and makes me sick to smell it.

There is reddish/brownish staining on the cap and base of the stem.

The blue seems to be already there along the stem base, not staining stronger after picking/handling.

Yes there was douglas fir around the area.

I will spore print and attempt to get a picture of the spores soon but my microscope only works with low magification.


--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Edited by OregonBlueShroom (09/17/13 09:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18855551 -

No need to take a pic of the spores, you can just look at them and describe what you see.


Would you classify the odor as fishy?


Since it stained red where bruised, you probably have Inocybe hirsuta var. maxima.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #18855560 -

Yes the smell is kind of fishy, and very strong.

Thanks for the help Alan.


--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18855585 -

Fishy smells are common in the Inocybe calamistrata group.


Recent research by Brandon Matheny says that this clade is not toxic or psychoactive.  I guess it might be edible???

The paper is online, you can google for it.  I think it is from 2013.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Another semilanceata and bluing Inocybe Oregon [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #18856578 -

I dont think I would want to try, the bluing Inocybes are cool to look at but smell bad and dont seem very appetizing.

I already got more chants, lobsters, and COTW than i can eat so ill stick with those for now. Thanks again for the info Alan.


--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Bluing Inocybe # 2 - Jalisco, Mexico
( 1 2 all )
Alan RockefellerM 5,652 26 11/16/07 02:17 AM
by CureCat
* Bluing Inocybe # 1 - Jalisco, Mexico Alan RockefellerM 1,391 5 10/20/07 10:35 PM
by cactu
* MUSHROOM OF THE MONTH INOCYBE SP.. cactu 1,898 6 09/20/07 03:14 PM
by Alan Rockefeller
* A couple of Psilocybe semilanceata photographs from this past season ivi 34,990 13 07/05/14 04:52 AM
by fluffy clouds
* Bluing Inocybe # 3 - Colima, Mexico Alan RockefellerM 954 4 11/02/07 02:16 PM
by cactu
* possible inocybe calamastrata from the truffle thread
( 1 2 all )
myCo_psyCo 3,313 31 02/08/08 03:17 PM
by landsnorkler
* inocybe calamistrata. viscid 7,441 9 11/02/02 07:28 PM
by viscid
* another close encounter with the inocybe kind cactu 1,390 13 10/29/07 11:18 PM
by Alan Rockefeller

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,705 topic views. 1 members, 17 guests and 70 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.