Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Self-medicating ADHD with kratom? * 1
    #18628388 -

Well, I have ADHD. I tried kratom a long time ago but I can't remember how it was very well.

Anyway, it can have both stimulant and sedative effects, so in theory it should help alleviate some ADHD symptoms and help with focus, right?

What do you think, would it help me?


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Self-medicating ADHD with kratom? [Re: Synthe]
    #18629378 -

I think that sounds like a generally terrible idea.

First of all, kratom is addictive. Not highly-- there is plenty of worse stuff out there. But it is a mild opioid, and many people have become habituated after a period of constant use. So that makes it a little risky-- and doubly so if you have a propensity for addiction (or addiction running in your family.)


Further, it's been a little while-- but the way I remember it, kratom is one of those "stimulants" that is better for giving a little physical energy than it is for focus.


It does sound interesting, as an experiment-- but a very risky one. I've been told I probably have ADHD (and a parent and a sibling have been diagnosed-- my other parent probablyshould be diagnosed).  I am not medicated for this condition, even though it is a serious impediment for me sometimes, because I have a history with addiction, and I've  been unable to develop mutual trust with a prescriber thus far...  That said, I have done a few stretches of regularly taking kratom, and I can't remember an increase in focus. Maybe even the opposite. It did make me feel better though-- but that's mainly because I'm an opiate addict, and my stints with kratom were in the name of weening off a harder drug... :shrug:


--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Self-medicating ADHD with kratom? [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #18629456 -

It helps me to focus on drawing, and sometimes to study, clean, work.. but not everyday. Like anything, it shouldn't be abused, or the positive effects go away.


--------------------
Made possible by viewers like you...
:themoreyouknow: THANK YOU.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Self-medicating ADHD with kratom? [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #18629497 -

Beer, weed, opiates, caffeine... I've used all to help with my ADHD.

Adderall seems to be pretty much the best and Pirecetam was a lovely addition until my parents seized it and my psychiatrist decided he wouldn't give it back.

Attention problems are less about a specific MECHANISM that stimulating helps. The reason stimulating HELPS is exactly why these other ways help too: THEY MAKE YOU LESS BORED, letting you give salience to more important tasks without regard

The nucleus accumbens is the big player here... read up on how that works and how Adderall, Ritalin, etc. affect them and you'll have a great understanding of why our PERSONALITY TYPES (which is what ADHD really comes down to) benefit so much in fitting into the expectations of functioning in todays society.

Again, it's nothing like psychosis or depression... we simply need ENTERTAINMENT and these medications and sometimes drugs and alcohol help us because they turn the "Entertained Switch" to the "Engaged" position so that we could be playing video games, painting beads, studying french literature, or working at McDonalds and it all be just as satisfying to us.

I figured this out from investigating after I noticed that if I had a beer or two such that I had a LITTLE fun/happy buzz, I could read with NO problems even if Plato's Republic hadn't quite snagged my actual engagement-type of interest.

I bet 4-FA might be helpful too if it's not to trippy/rolly and empatheogenic like MDMA.

Second Poster is right though... you don't want to dick around with Kratom on the regular or you'll end up dope sick.

I've seen MANY people at our local headshop coming in looking like death warmed over, hands trembling as they desperately count out nickels, dimes, and pennies trying to afford just one small hit of Kratom to slake their withdrawal.

Please don't go this route. Use it once in a while though for sure, and it would be even better if you made yourself a deal that every week you stay up on your assigments (with the help of some good prescription meds if they help you, sounds like you could benefit :thumbup:) you get to go out and get a hit or two of Kratom to reward yourself.

This will actually TRAIN the nucleus accumbens too, in a much more mechanical/direct way on the brain and may help with motivation.

YOU SHOULD KNOW that in mice (and probably people though I haven't researched that), opiates breed complacency, specifically damaging motivation and drive to seek out natural endorphin-releasing experiences such as accomplishment, camaraderie, thrills, and exercise.



Do you see a doctor and get prescription meds? Look into this and also look into Pirecetam. I felt like I was on a learning  version of "The Matrix" when I was on it.


It's also an interesting side note that ADHD kids do tend to abuse drugs and alcohol more, but (and I need to fact check him on this cause he'd be biased as fuck), my doctor has explained a couple studies to me where interestingly, if you give ADHD kids amphetamine we are MUCH less likely to seek out stimulation/pleasure in street drugs and binge drinking.

I've found that since being treated for it, a lot of times I can just power through my day and boredom (which is like an itch for us ADDers) doesn't surface much at all [and normally, I treat boredom with drugs... a habit I need to get out of].


--------------------
Back, bitches.
st1lln0x: so i'm on weed, temazepam, adderall, dexedrine, dxm, dph, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, tryptophan, GABA, and kratom
Cavemen_savemen: st1lln0x, do you feel like a robot yet?
st1lln0x: I feel like a fucking Gundam
Click to friend me on Steam for Counter-Strike
:crankey: IS LIFE SKULLFUCKING YOU!? HAVE SOME FREE MORALE! :awesomenod:
Click if you want to feel you alone can do it! Click if you want to feel confident and beastly! Click if you want courage to let go and move on! And click the message if you need someone to talk to -- I'll understand, even if we "hate" each other on here :hug: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Self-medicating ADHD with kratom? [Re: Synthe]
    #18629828 -

I self medicate with kratom for anxiety, depression, & lethargy...It also helps with my aches & pains (obviously) and depending on the strain of kratom I most definitely notice it helps me focus and my attention doesn't get distracted as easily. I can sit and get one thing done with out being distracted or with out my mind wondering about something else. I'm not as "scattered", when I want to get something done kratom keeps my mind on track and allows me to get things done the first time around.



In my experience, and other regular users of kratom would likely agree, I find kratom to be no more addictive than a cup of coffee. Addiction, in my opinion, depends entirely on the person and what they're using the substance for...not the substance itself. If you're taking kratom everyday solely to get high and feel good, sure there's the chance you will develop somewhat of an addiction for yourself, especially since you will likely start to take more and more of it chasing that buzz and creating even more of a tolerance for yourself digging yourself even deeper into addiction...

But if you're taking it daily as a medicine, you're approaching it with a completely different mentality, not chasing a high but rather taking a fixed amount of something to help you. I never have problems taking a break from kratom after months of daily use. No urges or cravings for more, just a bit irritable and lethargic for a few days (signs of mild withdrawal), but for the most part I just return to how I am with out kratom in my system.


The medications that are typically in place for "adhd", adderall and ritalin, people tend to dig themselves into addiction with those far more so than people do with kratom do...so :shrug: ....

I think kratom is a great alternative to other "stimulants" for adhd. Of course, this leaf might work better for some than it does for others. Perhaps try taking small daily doses (1.5g to 2.5g) of a stimulating strain, or just take it the days you really need it. Experiment a bit and you'll find the strain that works best for you and the sweet spot in dosage that works best for you...often, less is more when it comes to kratom.




:2cents:




-OM


.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Self-medicating ADHD with kratom? [Re: openmind]
    #18629860 -

openmind said:
I self medicate with kratom for anxiety, depression, & lethargy...It also helps with my aches & pains (obviously) and depending on the strain of kratom I most definitely notice it helps me focus and my attention doesn't get distracted as easily. I can sit and get one thing done with out being distracted or with out my mind wondering about something else. I'm not as "scattered", when I want to get something done kratom keeps my mind on track and allows me to get things done the first time around.



In my experience, and other regular users of kratom would likely agree, I find kratom to be no more addictive than a cup of coffee. Addiction, in my opinion, depends entirely on the person and what they're using the substance for...not the substance itself. If you're taking kratom everyday solely to get high and feel good, sure there's the chance you will develop somewhat of an addiction for yourself, especially since you will likely start to take more and more of it chasing that buzz and creating even more of a tolerance for yourself digging yourself even deeper into addiction...

But if you're taking it daily as a medicine, you're approaching it with a completely different mentality, not chasing a high but rather taking a fixed amount of something to help you. I never have problems taking a break from kratom after months of daily use. No urges or cravings for more, just a bit irritable and lethargic for a few days (signs of mild withdrawal), but for the most part I just return to how I am with out kratom in my system.


The medications that are typically in place for "adhd", adderall and ritalin, people tend to dig themselves into addiction with those far more so than people do with kratom do...so :shrug: ....

I think kratom is a great alternative to other "stimulants" for adhd. Of course, this leaf might work better for some than it does for others. Perhaps try taking small daily doses (1.5g to 2.5g) of a stimulating strain, or just take it the days you really need it. Experiment a bit and you'll find the strain that works best for you and the sweet spot in dosage that works best for you...often, less is more when it comes to kratom.




:2cents:




-OM


.



This man speaks well.

But remember, PRN is best and tolerance holidays are your friend (as are we here so keep asking away till you fully feel like you've got a feel for this).

Why don't you try it a little and let us know how it goes? A LOT of us have ADHD here.


--------------------
Back, bitches.
st1lln0x: so i'm on weed, temazepam, adderall, dexedrine, dxm, dph, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, tryptophan, GABA, and kratom
Cavemen_savemen: st1lln0x, do you feel like a robot yet?
st1lln0x: I feel like a fucking Gundam
Click to friend me on Steam for Counter-Strike
:crankey: IS LIFE SKULLFUCKING YOU!? HAVE SOME FREE MORALE! :awesomenod:
Click if you want to feel you alone can do it! Click if you want to feel confident and beastly! Click if you want courage to let go and move on! And click the message if you need someone to talk to -- I'll understand, even if we "hate" each other on here :hug: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* ADHD Drugs May Kill You
( 1 2 3 all )
daimyo 7,869 55 02/12/06 05:26 PM
by Stonerguy
* The over-medication of our children takes a victim.
( 1 2 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 5,157 34 03/26/07 01:15 AM
by Hallucophetamine
* Do you have ADD/ADHD?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Madtowntripper 5,774 60 06/20/15 07:13 PM
by BeyondtheScope
* Just opened the mail, and found 25 grams of Kratom Psilocybeingzz 4,869 10 12/12/10 03:05 AM
by stefan
* Kratom FractalDust 1,514 8 01/22/07 10:21 PM
by pscyanescens
* anti add and adhd articles LethalX5 1,038 7 11/14/06 10:33 PM
by Konnrade
* So apparently my favorite kratom vendor inst taking orders due to "market volatility " LemurLemur 986 4 03/02/18 09:47 AM
by Scott Bennett
* Using kratom for pain management Gumby 670 7 02/06/08 07:19 PM
by Psy Baba

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,532 topic views. 4 members, 19 guests and 159 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.