Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #18618195 -

Just tell them how hard the economy is, so if they wanna double take your advice, tell them to never do it in front of your face :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #18618224 -

Lead by example is and was constantly beaten into my head. I've worked in the Army and I was a Non-Commissioned Leader (NCO) for 5 years.  But I've had years of preparation through various other jobs working over and under people. You know what right and wrong look and feel like since you were at the bottom ladder once- never forget that and try to look at situations from a subordinate's perspective as well. 

Be willing to get your hands dirty.  They will not respect you ( even though you're the supervisor) if you just watch them all the time and never share in the workload.

Offer up incentives, if possible, for everyone besides the pay. Best team in the factory. 

As a leader you should know when to turn off and on the humor.  Let your boys relax a bit as long as their performance is meeting standards- but always try to push beyond the standards set.  You need to be clear on how they address you instead of one of the guys. You have to separate work and play. 

If you got a problem with someone never correct them in front of coworkers etc.  Hopefully you know this...

Be open and adopt an open door policy.  anyone can come to you if they have a problem or go to higher authority if you are the problem.

Don't be a brown-noser, this can not be overstated.

If possible and within budget, plan a get together with some of the employees. If you can plan company picnics etc than all the better.

I could go on and on so pm if you ever have questions I don't want to take over your post.  I have a wealth of knowledge- I say that with no ego..


--------------------
 

"I'm chilling in a room with a view, there's always room for improvement; so i grab my coat and go and prove it"-Method Man

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: InfiniteToker]
    #18618894 -

The childish peeves are things like saying something over the radio that they already know about or that was not totally necessary (as if i can read their minds). Or moving a piece of paperwork 5 feet away, to the only other logical place it could be moved to. Or helping them with their work when they are backed up. Or telling them to do something in a more efficient manner. One guy gets pissy when I hand him the list on quality issues he needs to fix. Basically minor inconveniences that could be solved with politness instead of saying "HEY ASSHOLE!! your pissing me the FUCK OFF!!  STOP FUCKING DOING THAT!!! *knocks shit over*". Mind you, making my coworkers jobs easier is my goal. If I am inconveniencing them I would more than gladly alter the way I do things to help them.

And my boss is hard ass, and for the most part I am a puppet, and he is pulling my strings. So I really have no choice in doing much of what I end up having to do.

We do have many fans. But the principle of the idea follows my thoughts of boosting comfort and morale.

I am only friends with my equals and my hardest most loyal worker. But I think what gets me is my general compassion and understanding for people, even assholes.

Today I had to come down on this really nice Colombian guy for slacking... It sucked because his sister all the way in Colombia was having medical issues causing him anxiety... But the companies motto is "when you punch in your here to work and you leave your personal life and affairs at home"... I really like this guy to, I am not his 'friend' but he is such a nice person... I have a hard time being playing the Darth Vader role in this situation, but at the same time its a lot of money riding on this guys ability to do his job and I know the company has to be this way.

And failure is not an option, if I have to slit throats then I gotta do what I gotta do, however I hope to pull my crew together in a way were we all can succeed and be happy. If I cannot I will have to take the bosses suggestions of inserting my foot into their asses.

I am trying to emphasize to them that I only come down on them because I really don't want to see them loose their jobs or get written up. I really do care about all of them.

But I feel like i cant speak the truth, because the truth would be "if the company wants to make money and do what is right for itself we need to fire half these guys and replace them with guys that want to make the company money and not just get a paycheck.". I mean over 200 families depend on the success of this place, that is how I look at it and I find it very serious. I am there to make the company money, getting paid is the side effect of that.


--------------------
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.”
― Terence McKenna

My Trade list

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: InfiniteToker]
    #18618906 -

SHROOMHUNTSMAN said:
Lead by example is and was constantly beaten into my head. I've worked in the Army and I was a Non-Commissioned Leader (NCO) for 5 years.  But I've had years of preparation through various other jobs working over and under people. You know what right and wrong look and feel like since you were at the bottom ladder once- never forget that and try to look at situations from a subordinate's perspective as well. 

Be willing to get your hands dirty.  They will not respect you ( even though you're the supervisor) if you just watch them all the time and never share in the workload.

Offer up incentives, if possible, for everyone besides the pay. Best team in the factory. 

As a leader you should know when to turn off and on the humor.  Let your boys relax a bit as long as their performance is meeting standards- but always try to push beyond the standards set.  You need to be clear on how they address you instead of one of the guys. You have to separate work and play. 

If you got a problem with someone never correct them in front of coworkers etc.  Hopefully you know this...

Be open and adopt an open door policy.  anyone can come to you if they have a problem or go to higher authority if you are the problem.

Don't be a brown-noser, this can not be overstated.

If possible and within budget, plan a get together with some of the employees. If you can plan company picnics etc than all the better.

I could go on and on so pm if you ever have questions I don't want to take over your post.  I have a wealth of knowledge- I say that with no ego..



No feel free to say as much as you can! Pm me if you like, but hey, this might help others too!

Unfortunately I end up doing so much of their work just to keep things afloat that my supervising suffers and things go wrong because I am picking up their slack. Often I am busting ass harder than anyone in the shop, I am the only guy that runs everywhere I gotta go. And then they slack even more because they get used to me carrying them. See I am used to construction work, so I am used to busting ass much harder than most factory workers.

But if I stop carrying them things fall apart. And because I am supervisor, I am the fall guy when shit hits the fan.


--------------------
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.”
― Terence McKenna

My Trade list

Edited by vladtepes (07/27/13 10:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: vladtepes]
    #18618910 -

Tell them you're gonna beat them with a metal bar if they don't do their jobs right.:kingcrankey:


--------------------
I need Jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: thoughts]
    #18619067 -

Don't try and build a city in a day.  People change VERY gradually so you can't go in and change a bunch of things and expect your team to do it.  Definitely yell at people in private.  Give people surprise gifts.  If someone on my team does a really good job, I buy them a 6er randomly.  If someone is causing trouble among your other team members, it's probably worth letting them go instead of trying to force compliance.


--------------------


"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: vladtepes]
    #18619251 -



--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Being the boss! Any experienced supervisors out there? [Re: Gretchenmeister]
    #18619263 -

Gretchenmeister said:
Leading by example is always good. I have been a supervisor for many years and now own my little corporation with 23 some odd employees.  Before I start laying the law down, I usually am seen working twice as hard as anyone else. I have a generally friendly and positive attitude about work, it sets the pace for others.  It is work, work sucks, especially if you are in a bottle factory in 120F weather. Adds insult to injury to have to endure such environment with fruitless bullshit powertripper management tactics. Music is good, iced anything is good, especially if you take time to arrange the novelty yourself.

I do feel it is especially important to figure out the standards you will be a stickler about, and stick to them from day one.  And while being friendly, you have to also not befriend folks. You have tons to worry about and the last thing you need is to be everyone's personal advocate.

Never be seen or heard speaking negatively about another person in your workplace.  Always face challenge with a positive attitude. Thats what good leaders do, and good employees will usually follow.

Bad and negative management tactics lead to mutiny on the ship and make a miserable work place for you to go to as well. No one likes going to work feeling like a load of bricks is on their chest. 

Best of luck!



:werd:


--------------------
Not all who wander are lost.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* fucking boss blkjkrabbit 763 10 10/18/07 08:55 PM
by blkjkrabbit
* need genuine advice, a letter to my boss
( 1 2 all )
KerbouchardS 2,490 25 03/25/06 03:50 AM
by moosehead
* starting salary part time supervisor for UPS? LethalX5 30,029 10 10/07/09 12:36 AM
by Chespirito
* DELETED* Azen 1,101 19 09/01/07 01:30 PM
by AaronEvil
* Boss fucked me over DNKYD 1,035 7 06/24/07 08:34 PM
by Banez
* Going to Costa Rica...with the boss!
( 1 2 all )
ToTheSummit 4,303 25 03/10/07 07:13 PM
by Gastronomicus
* looking for some help developing leadership skills lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl 752 9 07/20/06 10:34 PM
by deryl
* An Egress (Or rather, a Transposition)... PapaverS 991 8 02/11/03 12:24 PM
by Ripple

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,980 topic views. 4 members, 233 guests and 117 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 15 queries.