Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
An Egress (Or rather, a Transposition)...
    #1298210 - 02/11/03 12:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I happened to catch the film, "Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould," tonight on IFC. I loved that film when it first came out -- I thought it was quite brilliant. However, you must remember, that I am possessive of the typical upper-middle-class sensibilities -- much derided in certain fashionable circles of the self-proclaimed, hip, intelligencia -- that actually believes that Gould was a master interpreter of the contrapuntal structure in the melodic lines of folks like J. S. Bach... But then I also like Will Durant?s histories and Kurt Cobaine?s music as well... So sue me... :wink:

At any rate, seeing this film again, after almost a decade, had me digging through boxes of CDs for my Gould performances of the French Suits and the Goldberg Variations, and having found them, and sipping my coffee,  I am now complete and whole... :laugh:

The point is, that I was struck by Gould?s rational for quitting performance at the height of his career. A bold post-modern move, much in line with the McLuhanesque emphasis on the media, over content, in the fifties and sixties. His rational was, in essence, to shift the performer-to-audience relationship from that of one-to-many to one-to-zero. He was much derided in his time, but this has now become one of the hallmark tenants of post-modernism itself.

Why is this important to me at this time. Well, one could say that it is also directly attributable to the current quagmire I find myself engaged in as an Admin at this site. I have been actively engaged in a one-to-many relationship with the membership, only to be betrayed and stabbed in the back by several of the very members I have been trying to help. True, I have helped many more, than those few who have fucked me over, but at what cost to my own personal emotional-health and well-being?

All it takes is a couple of selfish assholes to make your life a hell -- if you care at all -- and then the problem becomes one of not being able to help anyone because of those few suck the very life out of you, like vampires, and for what? I am beginning to think that a more appropriate strategy, is to remove, and recuse, myself from the spotlight. To no longer get involved in the day-to-day operations and personal politics of the paranoid and insane that largely comprise the grist for this human-soul-mill we call our home.

I now believe that the best of all possible answers, in this best of all possible worlds (please excuse the Panglossian reference), is to simply remove myself from the day-to-day, one-to-many, relationship, and strive for a platonic ideal of a one-to-zero relationship. I shall now delegate to the Nth degree, and let the chips fall where they may. I will no longer expend my emotional energy on those few who spit it back in my face mixed with the immature saliva and venom of a self-important piety, and selfishness, that can only truly be possessed by the young and inexperienced.

I now, at this time, make my public egress, to deal with Shroomery matters, at a different level. I love this community, but I can no longer allow its on-going petty politics of the insane and paranoid, and its levels of personal betrayal and drama to eat up what?s left of my emotional currency. I do love you all, but I must save myself. I will continue as Admin, but I will no longer be as public as I once was, and I will no longer stand in the way of progress with my own personal beliefs. I will let the chips fall where they may, and back up the will of others. That is all I will do for the foreseeable future. My friends will still know how to reach me, and I will always be there for them. :smile:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: An Egress (Or rather, a Transposition)... [Re: Papaver]
    #1298217 - 02/11/03 01:07 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It's a shame, you kicked it with the best of us in the forums and we had a good time doing so. But do what you must do, and good luck :smile: Don't let our community get destroyed! And I can rest assured, as long as you're in the higher rungs of this site, then you sure as hell won't let that happen. 

Anonymous

#1298220 - 02/11/03 01:11 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I couldn't be more delighted to hear it!

Bravo! Well done!

This will not only help you in the difficult task of leadership but will also help the Shroomery. We do not need you to tear yourself apart over things are are less worthy of your time, energy, love and effort.

Just be mindful that the agenda you are promoting is they will of those you serve and those that serve with you, not your own.

Leadership is a tough task and only meant for those with the personal strength to handle it.

For my part I will be as direct as I know how. I do not pull any punches or coddle anyone when so much is at stake.

It sounds like you are finding your rhythm. Good, we need you.

As always, your co-servant,

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #1298221 - 02/11/03 01:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

PS: I've finished the "French Suites" now, and I have moved on the "Goldberg Variations." Man, Gould could nail that counterpoint -- it's like he was playing with three hands, or two hands and his penis... :wink:

PPS: Our Canadian members should be very happy that I mentioned two of their greatest contributors to late-Twentieth Century thought, in my above post, Gould and McLuhan! :cool:

PPPS: I like posting stuff that's not directly related to the socio-political climate of this place and is more personal. Consider the above post, a transitional piece back into that territory. I have officially transposed my writings from G to C#...  :wink:

Edit: Thanks, Plato and Sheepish! :smile:

--------------------

Edited by papaver (02/11/03 01:20 AM)

Anonymous

#1298231 - 02/11/03 01:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Goldberg variations are my absolute favorite!

I'd give Gould three thumbs up for that!

I love to see your brilliance shine this way! I am not referring to the "upper-middle-class" elitism but the twists and turns of your mind, heart, and attitude! My heart leaps as does my respect!

Go Papa GO!

C#, much better than the key with 2 flats in it, isn't it!

Make it HAPPEN! Focus like a laser beam where your energy does the most good!

God speed man, God Speed!

That kind of talk makes me want to hear Mozart!

Inspire us! Lead us!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Leadership [Re: Papaver]
    #1298685 - 02/11/03 06:36 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Like it or not, you are a leader here. The moderators here will support you, or they are not deserving of the position. The users of the site have the choice of accepting the decisions of the site leaders or going elsewhere. Those are the same choices at every site.

We may all dissent and debate, but leaders are the ones who make the actual decisions. If somebody wants things a certain way they may request it. If they don't get it they can accept it or go to or create a place that suits them better.

Leadership transforms the leaders just as surely as it transforms those led. There are and will be changes and adaptations you will have to make to lead well.

No matter what you do, there will be those who will find fault with it. No matter what you do, there will be those who think you did the right thing. And there will always be those who don't care.

Don't waste time, effort, or your mental health worrying about those who disagree with what you do. Instead, focus on being as sure as possible that what you do is the right thing, given what you know. Accept that you will make mistakes, and try to plan for them. Avoid taking irrevocable action, except when necessary. Seek to know as much as possible before making a decision.

Finally, don't let the bastards get to you.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #1299042 - 02/11/03 08:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

>>I have officially transposed my writings from G to C#...

???????As a pianist i must say that I despise the key of C# major, eventhough it is essentially D flat major, C# is just hard and it's difficult to make yourself think in D flat maj when you see sharps everywhere. It's essentially an exercise of the mind.
???????Don't fall into the trap of settling for easier - yet the same - key signatures. It's a great mind exercise and will ward off atrophy of the brain. Try your hardest to stay in C#, once you master it - as i did as a pianist - you'll be forever grateful for having done so, and a better person as a result.

edit: hrmm indentations didn't work

Edited by neuro (02/11/03 08:53 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Leadership [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1299188 - 02/11/03 09:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You sound remarkably like a man who has lead. :wink:

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Leadership [Re: ]
    #1299781 - 02/11/03 12:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I agree, as someone with a staff of 400 I can tell you that leadership is all about reading people and reacting to their individual needs. Pushing the right buttons at the right time so to speak.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub