Home | Community | Message Board


Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblebrainbreath
perpetual newbie
Registered: 06/13/03
Posts: 67
Loc: down on the corner
A. virosa/A. bisporigera
    #1843689 - 08/23/03 05:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I recently was hunting in the woods, and found several virosas/bisporigeras which I picked/handled... Later that night or early the next day I was pretty sick, which lasted a few days... Now I'm paranoid that I may have inadvertantly poisoned myself. I've read several faq's and done several web searches, but have been unable to find anything related to dermal poisoning-only information about ingestion. What I want to know is if it is at all possible to be poisoned transdermally, can anybody help?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefalcon
In the green

Registered: 04/01/02
Posts: 6,835
Last seen: 7 hours, 16 minutes
Trusted Identifier
Re: A. virosa/A. bisporigera [Re: brainbreath]
    #1843775 - 08/23/03 06:25 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You can handle them and not be poisoned you just can't eat them.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebrainbreath
perpetual newbie
Registered: 06/13/03
Posts: 67
Loc: down on the corner
Re: A. virosa/A. bisporigera [Re: falcon]
    #1843864 - 08/23/03 07:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks :smile:
Glad to know I was worried about nothing...


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Registered: 06/28/02
Posts: 6,478
Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Last seen: 18 hours, 37 minutes
Trusted Identifier
Re: A. virosa/A. bisporigera [Re: brainbreath]
    #1844487 - 08/24/03 12:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You can relax about transdermal absorbption of toxins.

There are no recorded cases of anybody ever being poisoned by handling or touching mushrooms. Poisoning requires you to do something to get the stuff inside you.

Most of the time that means eating them. There are a few rare cases on record of people shooting mushrooms up (bad idea - it very nearly killed them!).

If all you did was handle them then there's no issue.


Let's consider what the situation would be if you had been poisoned by the mushrooms.

The delay in the onset of symptoms suggests a moderate poisoning (delay of 12 - 24 hours). The main test which would indicate the problem would be for Transaminases, which would peak at 1000 - 5000 IU/L about 4 days after being poisoned. Kidney problems might occur by 7 - 10 days, but would be expected to resolve themselves. Overall, you would be expected to recover after intensive supportive care in a hospital.


If you're still concerned about the possibility, see your doctor and explain the situation to them. A blood test will confirm that the Amanitas are not the problem. And if a problem is ongoing, they should be able to help fix it.

Good luck!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Registered: 02/15/01
Posts: 1,959
Loc: Random Field
Re: A. virosa/A. bisporigera [Re: brainbreath]
    #1844714 - 08/24/03 02:29 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I just got over a pretty bad flu type virus. I usually never get sick and the symptoms included aching muscles, headache, and bad stomach cramping. I thought I had been bitten by a spider or had food posioning! Anyway, it went away after about 2 days. Guess its just been a while since I've been sick, so I over hyped it. Maybe your in a similar situation.


--------------------
_______________________________________
CSC


Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* handling poisonous mushrooms rouge 4,775 2 09/28/03 08:59 PM
by ToxicMan
* Poison concerns SDguy 880 6 01/27/05 11:54 PM
by CptnGarden
* Poison Shroom Question Leablas 1,324 6 08/09/04 12:59 AM
by shroomydan
* MUSHROOM POISONING - THAILAND (02): SI SA KET, AMANITA SPECIES x7x_x7x 4,147 3 08/17/08 02:57 PM
by N2loma
* Alright homies, I need some help with a list of poisonous mushrooms GumbyM 3,534 12 04/05/12 06:37 PM
by 1ve5w4hu
* Pictures of Poisonous Mushrooms
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 12,050 43 03/11/03 09:26 AM
by Anonymous
* The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread
( 1 2 all )
DannyGlick 3,821 22 10/25/08 01:34 PM
by Bobzimmer
* AMANITA... VIROSA blowe46 1,313 11 01/31/06 01:22 PM
by blowe46

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, Alan Rockefeller, TimmiT, Joust
628 topic views. 2 members, 31 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.051 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.