Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Buying my 1st knife..
    #18280244 -

I understand there are some talented chefs in this forum and I would love to hear some opinions on good brands and beginner knives. I will be doing most work with prep, line cooking and in school. Thank you :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: fuzzywuzzy19]
    #18280393 -

My first knife was a victorinox. Definately happy with the purchase, cheap, easy to sharpen, light. the only thing i didnt like about it was the softness of the steel - loses its edge fairly quick.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: bigbigbilly]
    #18283469 -

bigbigbilly said:
My first knife was a victorinox. Definately happy with the purchase, cheap, easy to sharpen, light. the only thing i didnt like about it was the softness of the steel - loses its edge fairly quick.



I was going to sugest that too. I actually think they hold an edge pretty well (it's not Japanese high-carbon steel but it's pretty decent compared to most cheap blades). Dexter-Russel is one you'll see a lot in C. schools as well, I haven't used them enough to have much opinion but I think they're roughly equivalent. If you're doing a lot of prep work a 10" is probably the place to start.

If you prefer the weight of a forged blade Mercer makes some good inexpensive chef's knives.

The most important thing to remember with any knife is to keep the edge 'in true' with a honing steel. Ideally you should give it a quick run over the steel every time you get it out.


--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Edited by NizzyJones (05/19/13 02:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: NizzyJones]
    #18285486 -

i wouldnt  spend a lot of money.

a lot of knives are way over priced its ridiculous, its just a piece of metal, usually stainless steel.

i would either buy a cheap one new or go to a second hand store and look for one there, then buy a good knife sharpener at the same time.


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: fuzzywuzzy19]
    #18286067 -

A nice dexter russell will do just fine you want a filet, French or boning knife ? all can be had for 30.00 or less. a piece. long as you keeper sharp. I prefer a Soku but for your first stick with the top 3. :manofapproval:, Oh btw  I.d go with the french till ya get some skills  a 9 inch should do ya good. just  keep er sharp.:manofapproval:


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Edited by r00tuuu123 (05/19/13 12:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: bigbigbilly]
    #18286527 -



:yesnod:

i found they keep their edge pretty well. they are softer steel, but for the fucking price it really can't be beat. that shit was razor sharp out of the package, and they stayed that way for a while. i love the shit out of both of mine. i give 'em a quick go over before i use them every time and i never have an issue with them losing their edge. i actually didn't even start doing that until relatively recently, after having them for almost a year with no noticeable dullness. granted, they get used a lot more now that i have to do all my cooking for myself, and they also provide a nice sharp edge for my roommate to use as well. they are well loved and i will definitely by another when it's time.

i would love to have some good japanese steel, but these work just great for my needs now, and really, for the price it just can't be beat.

(i know the pepper plant looks sad, my mom had put it out in direct sun all day and it's an indoor plant)


--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.


:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #18287714 -

this is what i use... a ~$15 henkel



--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: fuzzywuzzy19]
    #18287773 -

as many have said, Dexter Russel is a good workhorse knife, it's easy to sharpen and cheap enough that you don't worry about losing it all the time or damaging it but still does a decent job of everyday use.

Honestly after that, it's all about how well you can sharpen a knife, because you can spend all sorts of money on a knife but ruining it in a couple of hours honing it the wrong way.

You want to look for the following:

-High carbon steel. Pure carbon is very sharp easy to sharpen but needs to be sharpened constantly and the blade life is shortened because of this. I wouldn't mind buying a chinese made knife if the steel is of good quality.
-A full tang, meaning the blade metal extends fully into the handle, making for a more balanced knife and usually denotes a higher quality of build,
-double sided blade, most western style chefs knives are double edged meaning both sides of the blade are sharpened. Some Sushi and asian knives are grounded only on one side to facilitate a nicer cut when making sashimi
-get a knife that suits your needs, not what you think you may use it for. Lots of people waste money thinking they need 5 different types of knives everyday. In reality unless you're a sushi chef, you'll only really need 3 knives: a chefs, a serrated and a paring knife.
-


--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: soochi]
    #18288060 -

Excellent advice soochi, im just an amateur but i recognize the relevance  of all of your statements

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #18289156 -

Acidic_Sloth said:


:yesnod:

i found they keep their edge pretty well. they are softer steel, but for the fucking price it really can't be beat. that shit was razor sharp out of the package, and they stayed that way for a while. i love the shit out of both of mine. i give 'em a quick go over before i use them every time and i never have an issue with them losing their edge. i actually didn't even start doing that until relatively recently, after having them for almost a year with no noticeable dullness. granted, they get used a lot more now that i have to do all my cooking for myself, and they also provide a nice sharp edge for my roommate to use as well. they are well loved and i will definitely by another when it's time.

i would love to have some good japanese steel, but these work just great for my needs now, and really, for the price it just can't be beat.

(i know the pepper plant looks sad, my mom had put it out in direct sun all day and it's an indoor plant)



I know it's not a culinary knife.. But thought I would share since Victorinox seem to be popular.  This is a 1918 model Elsener Schwyz Victoria (in 1976 they changed the stamp to "Victorinox") bayonet for the Swiss straight pull rifles they "used" during the world wars. Great blades with some history. Can't go wrong with Swiss steel.






Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: StumblesTheDrunk]
    #18295295 -

I have heard many good things about victorinox for first knives. I think its best to keep my budget within 40 dollars. I'm going to the city next week to see what I can find. Thank you for all the advice!:laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: fuzzywuzzy19]
    #18295498 -

fuzzywuzzy19 said:
I understand there are some talented chefs in this forum and I would love to hear some opinions on good brands and beginner knives. I will be doing most work with prep, line cooking and in school. Thank you :smile:



Something just caught  my eyes by school do you mean culinary If so last I knew you will get a knife set as part of your tuition. but find out first. And don't take your own knives to work and be "That Guy" Unless just to sharpen them. . :ancientaliens: It will just make you look stupid to the other cooks . Most decent kitchens us a knife service. Why wear your own stuff out.


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Edited by r00tuuu123 (05/20/13 11:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #18297251 -

Very valid point. When I went to JWU, we couldn't use our own knives and HAD to use the school issued knife. Most culinary schools including le cordon bleu and Art Institutes issue knives as part of tuition cost. and yes most restaurants also have a knife service so yes most of the time it is not necessary to bring your own knife unless you really don't feel comfortable with kitchen knives or are doing more delicate tasks


--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #18310144 -

r00tuuu123 said:
fuzzywuzzy19 said:
I understand there are some talented chefs in this forum and I would love to hear some opinions on good brands and beginner knives. I will be doing most work with prep, line cooking and in school. Thank you :smile:



Something just caught  my eyes by school do you mean culinary If so last I knew you will get a knife set as part of your tuition. but find out first. And don't take your own knives to work and be "That Guy" Unless just to sharpen them. . :ancientaliens: It will just make you look stupid to the other cooks . Most decent kitchens us a knife service. Why wear your own stuff out.





I am doing a condensed course as part of my apprenticeship and knives are not supplied, but the schooling is almost all funded by the government so I don't mind spending some money for a set. At one of my jobs in a smaller kitchen I need my own knife for the line, the other staff uses their own. My boss may let me use one of his but they are really nice and I don't want to risk fucking one up. For my other job I will leave it at home

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: fuzzywuzzy19]
    #18310180 -

fuzzywuzzy19 said:
r00tuuu123 said:
fuzzywuzzy19 said:
I understand there are some talented chefs in this forum and I would love to hear some opinions on good brands and beginner knives. I will be doing most work with prep, line cooking and in school. Thank you :smile:



Something just caught  my eyes by school do you mean culinary If so last I knew you will get a knife set as part of your tuition. but find out first. And don't take your own knives to work and be "That Guy" Unless just to sharpen them. . :ancientaliens: It will just make you look stupid to the other cooks . Most decent kitchens us a knife service. Why wear your own stuff out.





I am doing a condensed course as part of my apprenticeship and knives are not supplied, but the schooling is almost all funded by the government so I don't mind spending some money for a set. At one of my jobs in a smaller kitchen I need my own knife for the line, the other staff uses their own. My boss may let me use one of his but they are really nice and I don't want to risk fucking one up. For my other job I will leave it at home



I took a condensed course on soups from Campbell's.


--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #18312760 -

LunarEclipse said:
fuzzywuzzy19 said:
r00tuuu123 said:
fuzzywuzzy19 said:
I understand there are some talented chefs in this forum and I would love to hear some opinions on good brands and beginner knives. I will be doing most work with prep, line cooking and in school. Thank you :smile:



Something just caught  my eyes by school do you mean culinary If so last I knew you will get a knife set as part of your tuition. but find out first. And don't take your own knives to work and be "That Guy" Unless just to sharpen them. . :ancientaliens: It will just make you look stupid to the other cooks . Most decent kitchens us a knife service. Why wear your own stuff out.





I am doing a condensed course as part of my apprenticeship and knives are not supplied, but the schooling is almost all funded by the government so I don't mind spending some money for a set. At one of my jobs in a smaller kitchen I need my own knife for the line, the other staff uses their own. My boss may let me use one of his but they are really nice and I don't want to risk fucking one up. For my other job I will leave it at home



I took a condensed course on soups from Campbell's.



:lolsy: that was good


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #18312798 -

fuzzywuzzy19 said:
I am doing a condensed course as part of my apprenticeship and knives are not supplied, but the schooling is almost all funded by the government so I don't mind spending some money for a set. At one of my jobs in a smaller kitchen I need my own knife for the line, the other staff uses their own. My boss may let me use one of his but they are really nice and I don't want to risk fucking one up. For my other job I will leave it at home


UR to dumb to do  this with that attitude. I would not let you wash my car. :kingcrankey:


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #18321871 -

Quote:
I took a condensed course on soups from Campbell's.



you just made my night! lmfao

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: StumblesTheDrunk]
    #18321902 -




ORCS!!


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying my 1st knife.. [Re: Asante]
    #18322224 -

The favorite knife in my kitchen is a 6" wusthof classic, it holds its edge forever, is well balanced and ergonomic, has nice style and is all around a pleasure to use.

I would like to add a 7-8" knife just like it, because my midsized henkel cheapie (like the one posted in this thread,) Sucks!


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Wanting to buy knife sharpening system... Need some input rawtoxic 1,579 8 02/28/07 07:10 PM
by rawtoxic
* Knives!
( 1 2 all )
daussaulit 4,720 37 01/02/05 10:24 PM
by Sammy
* Chef Knife's snoot 1,646 12 06/01/08 08:44 PM
by soochi
* Professional knife sharpening daussaulit 917 3 03/22/04 11:26 AM
by GabbaDj
* Ceramic Knives daussaulit 3,027 19 12/29/03 01:14 AM
by boO
* Sharpening a knife, questions zathan 1,388 7 01/25/07 01:05 PM
by agar
* Japanese style boning knives (honesuki) Tasty_Smurf_House 2,148 13 04/03/08 04:07 PM
by danknugz81
* Chef Knives skydog 1,276 8 09/24/07 06:16 PM
by A3eyedfish

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
3,305 topic views. 1 members, 0 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.