Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChimera
Eyes wide open!

Loc: Great Smoky Mountains
I have a question about pH levels.
    #1802679 - 08/11/03 05:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hello everyone. A friend of mine recently innoculated four quarts of wild bird seed. They're coming along nicely so he wants to get prepared for the next step: casing. He has decided to use Roadkill's "60/40 Vermiculite and Coco Coir Casing Tek" and has heard that the casing mixture is slightly acidic. Would my friend be changing the pH balance by adding egg shells or should he just search for some hydrated lime to add to the casing?

If hydrated lime is the wisest choice then how much should my friend add? The container used to hold the casing is a medium sized aluminum bread pan. I don't know the exact dimensions of his bread pan. Thank you.

--------------------

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." - John Muir

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: I have a question about pH levels. [Re: Chimera]
    #1802692 - 08/11/03 05:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You'll need a pH test kit, available at most garden shops. If you use hydrated lime be careful - it's powerful stuff.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: I have a question about pH levels. [Re: dog]
    #1804267 - 08/12/03 01:06 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hydrated lime is for an instant PH change, and the egg shells, or oyster shells, are for a long term PH buffer. Using both is good, and what afoaf does. If you can't get a PH tester, I would recommend casing with straight verm the first time or two. You get good results and can get a handle on casing.

-FB

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I have a question about pH levels. [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #1804306 - 08/12/03 01:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Use hydrated lime. A good rule of thumb if you don't have a ph tester is to spread your casing to about 1/2" thick, then lightly sprinkle the lime on the surface just to give the casing a 'whitish' look. Don't turn the casing completely white, as that would be too much. No need to mix the lime in if you do it that way. It will gradually sink in as you mist.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offline284_27
Indocybin

Re: I have a question about pH levels. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #1804625 - 08/12/03 04:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Why not just use limestone dust ( CACO3), that is a buffered salt and no need to worry about burning the mycelium.At the same time will cure any acidity.

--------------------
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Fly high and I will meet you there .
- Timothy Leary

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
Re: I have a question about pH levels. [Re: 284_27]
    #1805136 - 08/12/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

when casing with just verm and coco coir there no need for a PH buffer.try oyter shells is a long term buffer funkybudah said,and as shroom produce their so called piss it'll make your casing more acidic this all happens over a period of time.

--------------------

OfflineChimera
Eyes wide open!

Loc: Great Smoky Mountains
Give me some juice. [Re: dog]
    #1805577 - 08/12/03 12:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. My friend has decided to purchase a pH testing kit when the time comes to make the casing mixture. He will then make up his mind where to go from there.

--------------------

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." - John Muir

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom