Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLapius
Super Fighting Robot

Loc: Earth 25XX
Case question weird materials used..
    #1002641 - 10/29/02 09:33 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hey everyone..
my friend met an alien the other day, and he told him that in the vast universe they use diffrent materials to grow shrooms then humans. see on his planet he dosent have manure like we do, he had to buy some at the store but it had a 42% hummus mix into it.. the alein said that he followed the normal tek for casing.. he incubated and it colonized slowly but it did colonize... he then cased it with coir and hes had a flush already but there were few...3 grams dry.. and hes noticing on the second flush theres even less.. there no contam but on his planet the temps are bit cooler.. fruiting temps at around 70 to 74F... could there be a way any one can help him? perhaps some info to make his casing work better
thanks
-PeZ
_

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Case question weird materials used.. [Re: Lapius]
    #1002661 - 10/29/02 09:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I may be wrong here but your PH levels may be off.  I believe the hummus would cause it to be too acedic.  Maybe next time try adding lime and or crushed oystershells to buffer the PH a little.  But most store bought composts don't work that well anyway.  The only type I have heard of or had success with was Scotts 3 in 1 mix.  You can still find it  at lowes accasionally but Scotts discontiued this product some time ago.  Not to mention the shipping costs to send it to your alien friend :laugh: LOL!  Try making a compost bin like here  DIY compost bin  Check out the related prodjects at the bottom of the page for more tips and ideas to fit your needs.  For a good source of worm castings if you can't find around town anywhere.  Go to your local bait shop and buy some night crawlers!  Use the night crawlers for fishing or your compost pile.  Keep the dirt (worm castings) for growing mushrooms!

Peace :laugh: ignuF

--------------------
All the above information is for microscopic research only! 

Life is short so make a dent in the world so people can tell you were here!

Edited by ignuF (10/29/02 10:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation