Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Why you should grow a beard * 3
    #17825560 -

:heytheresexy:

This thread is about beards. The thread title is lighthearted, I don't care if you grow a beard or not. But before you decide if you want to be hirsute or have a smooth face like a baby's tender buttocks, you should consider the following interesting trivia.

1. In ancient greece, the birthplace of western culture (so they say), the state of being bearded was inseperable from the state of being a philosopher which means "lover of wisdom". It was considered unthinkable to be a lover of wisdom and not grow a beard.

2. In the ancient world, beardedness was virtually synonymous with manhood. Almost all men grew beards. The reason why this changed is not generally well known but is interesting. Although all "real men" in the ancient world grew beards , having a beard was a disadvantage in combat, because an opponent could grab your beard and use it to move your head from side to side, which allowed them to yank your head up and expose your throat, which could be fatal.

Alexander the great, therefore, shaved his face smooth, and ordered all his legions of soldiers to do the same. He then went on to conquer the known world and mainain his rule by garrisoning soldiers in occupied lands. Therefore a clean faced man took over the world with his clean faced legions, and had his own face minted on all the coins, showing his smooth face on all currency. Therefore, people raced to emulate him and many shaved off their beards in order to emulate the emperor and his soldiers. That is why to this day more people have smooth faces than beards, when the opposite was true in the past.


3. Evolutionary biologists understand that because a beard has no immediate survival value (you dont need a beard to live) there are only two reasons why the trait of beardedness has persisted in our species. Either or both could be true, but it has to be at least one or the other. Either A. Beards help males attract mates by signalling sexual maturity, virility and desirability to females or B. Beards help males intimidate other males and help them in the bid for social dominance.

In other words Beards either make you sexually attractive to females, intimidating and authoritative to other males, or both. The function of the beard in humans is identical to the function of the mane in lions, the antlers in elk and deer, the beard of a goat, the tailfeathers of a peacock, and so forth. Can you imagine a lion waking up each morning and shaving its mane?

4. Having a beard creates the illusion of having a larger jawline and therefore makes you look larger and stronger, creating a psychological advantage.

5. Beard growth is related to testosterone levels, which are in turn related to strength and virility, therefore having a beard sends a subconscious message that you are strong and sexually active.

6. All day every day the body works to grow the beard. Surely there must be some reason for that? Doesn't it seem a bit odd when you think about it that we constantly thwart our own bodies, as they steadfastly stuggle to "complete" themselves by growing a beard that is part of our genetic design?

7. Having a beard protects the skin of the face from cold, dry air, environmental pollution, wind, salt, etc and therefore slows the aging and wrinkling of the face. A large enough beard and moustache can also protect the respiratory system by filtering the air we breathe in a similar way that the cilia (hairs) in our lungs do. A large moustache is like an extra layer of cilia.

8. All good wizards have beards. Gandalf, Merlin, Dumbledore, Saruman, you name it. You have to have a good beard to be a real wizard. :wizard:

9. Almost all major religions mandate males should have beards. In the old testament in the book of leviticus it says "thou shalt not shave the hairs of thy face nor harm the edges of thy beard". Therefore orthodox jews and christians grow beards. Rastafarians take the nazarite vow, which is to never to cut their hair (among other things) and therefore they also tend to grow beards (and dreadlocks). Mohammad instructed muslims not to shave and they too grow beards. For Sikhs, having a beard is one of the five visible symbols of their faith and is mandatory. Many hindu yogis, sadhus and swamis grow beards, and so did moses, jesus and the prophets. The only real exception is buddhists who tend to shave their heads and faces.

10. If you have a long beard, and you need to change your identity and evade detection or capture, you can shave your hair and beard and look like a totally different person, providing an instant disguise.

11. The beard never stops growing and unlike head hair tends not to diminish with age. Therefore if you start growing a beard now, you can enjoy having a bad ass beard when you get older, even if you go bald.

12. In cold climates, a good beard provides a great deal of warmth to the face and neck, its like a natural scarf.

13. In scientific tests, women were shown pictures of a variety of men who were either fully shaven, partial beard or full beard.

They measured two categoties of response. Attractiveness and desirability as a romantic partner. They found that having a men with a partial beard were seen as more attractive and more desirable as a partner than fully shaven men, and men with a full beard were found to be more desirable as a romantic partner than fully shaven men, although less attractive.

They found that beardedness conveys authority, maturity and aggression.

14. Being able to stroke your beard feels cool and makes you look wise and thoughtful. When you are listening to what someone says you can slowly stroke your beard and it makes it look like you are thinking deeply. :strokebeard:

15. Its just cool to find out what you would look like with a full beard, because otherwise you would never know.

16. When we were prepubescent, we had no beards. When we go through puberty, we grow beards. Therefore it seems to me that shaving is in some way an attempt to return to a prepubescent state, like trying to create the illusion of being a child, in some ways it is a rejection of manhood. For this reason in historical times shaving the beard was associated with femininity, homosexuality, and being a "dandy" .

17. In Mennonite, Hutterite and Amish cultures the tradition is to remain clean shaven until marriage, and once married never to shave again.

18. Beards are a "secondary sex characteristic". Another example of a secondary sex characteristic is a womans breasts. Therefore shaving ones beards is vaguely equivalent to a woman removing her breasts.

19. The idea that a shaven face is more attractive is largely a function of advertising. There is a lucrative business in shaving, for companies who sell razors, shaving cream etc, therefore men are bombarded with advertisements displaying super model men shaving and trying to pressure us to do the same, but there not much business in growing the beard (which doesnt require any products) therefore their are no pro-beard advertisements.

20. Having a beard can convey the look of being a lumberjack, an outdoorsman, a voyageur, a rugged individualist who is capable, self-reliant, competent, masculine, tough and grim. That is also why many motorcycle gang bikers grow beards. They know it makes them look scary and badass.

21. By not shaving your entire life, you will save hundreds of hours in time, thousands of liters of water, and hundreds or thousands of dollars on razors and shaving creams. You could probably write a book in the time you will save by not shaving over a lifetime.

22. Not shaving saves water and materials and is therefore better for the environment.

Just some food for thought.

:strokebeard2:

  :seriousthankyou: :ruggedwink:

Edited by Moonshoe (02/18/13 04:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Moonshoe] * 1
    #17825577 -

Finally. A Beard thread. I approve. Maybe this should be one of the user-created forums?


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17825583 -

Ha, a beard forum.


--------------------

North to the future is our motto I'm still up north no future to follow
We do these things and we don't give a fuck, we fire up a blunt in the car bumping Cougnut.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Boutang] * 3
    #17825617 -

Boutang said:
Ha, a beard forum.



what's that gonna be for?  a place for all your girlfriends to hang out at?

nailed it.  :rofldrunk:


--------------------
TACOS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: HeadTripVertigo]
    #17825639 -

I'd post my beard in it.  :shrug:

Need to grow it back out though.  Some little bitch I live with decided to make it to where I had to shave it or walk around with a huge bald spot on my face.  :facepalm:


--------------------

North to the future is our motto I'm still up north no future to follow
We do these things and we don't give a fuck, we fire up a blunt in the car bumping Cougnut.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Boutang]
    #17825662 -



--------------------
TACOS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: HeadTripVertigo]
    #17825811 -

I like the first one!

I have a beard but mainly cause I am too lazy to shave more than once every six weeks.

I have a theory about the evolutionary function of beards. I like to think the beards ultimate purpose was to protect the fragile throat as it does with male lions. I am talking epic caveman beardiness here  :strokebeard:


--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Tripsurfer]
    #17825826 -

I think beards are hot!!!
Unfortunately my hubby is native so hair just doesn't grow on his face :sad:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: lilhippiegirl] * 3
    #17825912 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: lilhippiegirl] * 4
    #17825947 -

I grew a decent beard, but it got in the way too much when I was eating and drinking. I couldn't deal with food in it, and if you grow a beard YOU WILL GET FOOD AND DRINK IN IT.



--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: lil_demented]
    #17825956 -

I cant grow a full beard so i shave it, patchy beards dont look cool. great OP though, very entertaining... all my friends started growing facial hair in like 5th and 6th grade, i was out of highschool by the time mine started coming in. guess i have bitch genes

:singletear:

Edited by Adolin (02/18/13 05:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Adolin]
    #17825972 -

yes, beards are the fucking shit

lets stand around stroking them
:manofapproval:

and yes you will get food/drink in them

but its called a flavor saver for a reason


--------------------
ModestMouse said:
"Much love for all of the regs here that's all I got to say
:goodnight: "

:heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Moonshoe]
    #17825981 -

Oh man...

I grow facial hair, but it takes SOOOO long to come in, and it's SOOOO patchy. Though, over the last 6 months, it's been getting better. Just shaved two weeks ago, and have been using Biotin. I've noticed an improvement.

Gonna wait a few more weeks, and shave again. I want a beard more than anything. I have such a baby face.


--------------------
To find yourself alone, is to find yourself with your greatest friend, and your worst enemy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: DarkElf]
    #17826017 -

All it takes is patience. Good things take time. My facial hair grows very slowly, but grow it does, and now I have a pretty serious beard. I think it will still take another full year before it is fully the way I want it though. Its been about a year already.


--------------------


Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Moonshoe] * 1
    #17826031 -

how long do you keep yours?

i go through phases of keeping it short to letting it be bushy

this is the best pic i have uploaded that shows a little beard


--------------------
ModestMouse said:
"Much love for all of the regs here that's all I got to say
:goodnight: "

:heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: trippinballs420]
    #17826041 -

I plan to grow my beard until it starts dragging on the ground. Then I would shave it just to keep it from getting dirty trailing on the floor.

Did you know beards can grow to be longer than the hieght of your body? The longest recorded beard was 21 feet long.


--------------------


Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #17826114 -

I don't see how beards are sexual attractive to women, :shrug: I got nothing against beards but in my head I would've reckoned women would be attracted more to clean shaven men than bearded men.

Maybe it's because every time I hear of people talk about beards I think of this guy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: gulper2323]
    #17826121 -

ha ha I think it's sexy.... that might be a little much, I just like the burly look :grin:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: gulper2323] * 1
    #17826176 -

Sometimes when I am having sex with my wife, she reaches out and touches my beard just as she reaches orgasm.

True story.


--------------------


Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why you should grow a beard [Re: Moonshoe]
    #17826199 -

This thread is spot on...


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I Shaved My Beard Off :-) GGreatOne234 569 2 08/05/03 11:52 AM
by Help on the Way
* I feel so unnatural when clean shaven
( 1 2 3 all )
ShroomismM 4,944 47 04/06/06 04:56 AM
by goobler
* Let It Grow
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Ripple 13,410 121 02/17/03 01:58 AM
by Ripple
* Attracting ARSE S.F.Sorrow 623 2 11/11/03 08:26 PM
by Ripple
* You know you've been growing too long when...
( 1 2 3 all )
daba 9,159 50 07/21/03 02:08 PM
by daba
* growing shrooms soon!! hemp_threadz 1,055 2 05/14/03 12:11 AM
by trev
* Need advice from Shroomerite girls
( 1 2 3 all )
silversoul7 9,248 57 09/23/03 04:08 AM
by Anonymous
* Shaven or... sjacobn 160 0 04/09/09 11:41 AM
by sjacobn

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
7,104 topic views. 2 members, 21 guests and 300 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.