Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
I feel so unnatural when clean shaven
    #5481698 - 04/05/06 06:19 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I will never get used to it.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: Shroomism]
    #5481700 - 04/05/06 06:21 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

dirty hippy :wink:

Offlinehobbitxkillyou
Shark wrestlingchampion

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: goobler]
    #5481713 - 04/05/06 06:30 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I've had a nice beard for 10 weeks now and neither myself nor my friends can picture me without it. It makes me look at least 3 years older.

--------------------
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.

-H. S. Thompson

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: hobbitxkillyou]
    #5481715 - 04/05/06 06:32 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I just cant handle a full blown beard...2-3 day stubble, ok, but beyond that bugs me

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5481769 - 04/05/06 07:02 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Bugs me too........Most I grow is my sideburns.......sometimes a goatee

--------------------
I don't do drugs....I am drugs

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5481771 - 04/05/06 07:03 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I quite enjoy being clean shaven, it's a nice change

couldn't handle it every day tho

:strokebeard:

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: OJK]
    #5481788 - 04/05/06 07:10 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

LOL I should grow one like Salvador Dali....haha id look like a madman

--------------------
I don't do drugs....I am drugs

Invisible013akilper

#5481790 - 04/05/06 07:11 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

im ugly as fudge so i usually have a beard...last time i shaved was about 7 months ago....just after full shave i look like a fool

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #5481798 - 04/05/06 07:15 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I know what you mean, but I also like it, it's refreshing.

It's weird when you walk outside at first and feel the air brushing against parts of your skin you haven't seen in a while. I'm about due for a shave...

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #5481803 - 04/05/06 07:16 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

heh, me too

I've got the shave munchies

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: OJK]
    #5481807 - 04/05/06 07:17 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I like getting a good old fashioned shave at the barbershop. Ain't nothing like it in this world.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5481809 - 04/05/06 07:18 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

straight razors rule!

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #5483980 - 04/05/06 06:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmm.. It seems that there are a lot of mixed feelings shown in this thread.

As the only other person to see the immediate before and after in person, I must say that you look a lot more handsome and more respectable (to people who don't know you). It was a quite a sight to witness the (IMHO) improvement. Don't you actually feel like you project a different (and more prideful) internal image as you look in the mirror?

When I shaved my head and grew my goatee and got 2 earrings in my left ear to make my "Harley look", it totally changed my sense of pride and it caused an incredible difference in the respect and attention that I just automatically get from strangers who would previously just look right through me as if I weren't there.. It's weird!

Give it a chance while you're job hunting and getting out and interacting with strangers and see if you notice a difference in how you're treated as compared to having that scruff on your face. You may be pleasantly surprised. If so, imagine what other changes in appearance could possibly do... Keep in mind that outward appearance does not define the inner spirit, it only acts as a part of the first impression that you make on people. Your personality and spirit is still quite the same as always, just harder to see (the impression you were projecting) without further examination. It's that further interaction with a stranger that makes the real impression without the person having any preconceived ideas which could affect the interaction's direction and outcome. I'm not talking about just perspective employers, but everyone you meet.

It's all up to you, really, but you put up this post for feedback and that's mine. :peace:

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
    #5483998 - 04/05/06 06:25 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
I like getting a good old fashioned shave at the barbershop. Ain't nothing like it in this world.

The barber could slice your throat and you'd be dead in 10 seconds. I dunno, I suppose there might be some psychotic barbers out there. I would never trust another man to put a razor against my throat. :thumbdown: :grin:

--------------------
:orly:

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #5484058 - 04/05/06 06:42 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

sell out :evil:

:tongue: :heart:

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #5484068 - 04/05/06 06:44 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I used to prefer to be clean shaved all of the time and am clean shaved right now. (Shaved to go visit a chicky Monday afternoon.) However this past year I've enjoyed having a full beard or atleast a goatee. I feel naked without the beard and/or goatee now. :shrug:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: TM]
    #5484143 - 04/05/06 07:01 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TM said:
Keep in mind that outward appearance does not define the inner spirit, it only acts as a part of the first impression that you make on people. Your personality and spirit is still quite the same as always, just harder to see (the impression you were projecting) without further examination. It's that further interaction with a stranger that makes the real impression without the person having any preconceived ideas which could affect the interaction's direction and outcome. I'm not talking about just perspective employers, but everyone you meet.

shouldn't inward content dictate outward appearance for the appearance to be anything but vanity and illusion?

i mean, is it any different if i dress in dead shirts and grow dreadlocks so i can get good acid connects & bang hippy chicks, than if i shave and dress preppy to get a job at the mall? certainly the 'straight' world judges people at first appearance, but esp with something as small (and natural!) as a beard, i'm tempted to say i wouldn't want to be a part of any enterprise that refused my right to grow one.

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #5484151 - 04/05/06 07:02 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I like my beard.  Im always growing it, but about every three days I shave it off so I can work and things.

Someday Ill have my beard in full bloom, lending thousands of dust mites a home!

For now I let my sideburns froof around about my jaw.  They get pretty awesome, me thinks.

Clean shaven shows me a different side of me.

Sometimes I dont want to see that side of me!

ACK! (cathy reference)

:todcasil:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: Krishna]
    #5484211 - 04/05/06 07:12 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
Quote:

TM said:
Keep in mind that outward appearance does not define the inner spirit, it only acts as a part of the first impression that you make on people. Your personality and spirit is still quite the same as always, just harder to see (the impression you were projecting) without further examination. It's that further interaction with a stranger that makes the real impression without the person having any preconceived ideas which could affect the interaction's direction and outcome. I'm not talking about just perspective employers, but everyone you meet.

shouldn't inward content dictate outward appearance for the appearance to be anything but vanity and illusion?

i mean, is it any different if i dress in dead shirts and grow dreadlocks so i can get good acid connects & bang hippy chicks, than if i shave and dress preppy to get a job at the mall? certainly the 'straight' world judges people at first appearance, but esp with something as small (and natural!) as a beard, i'm tempted to say i wouldn't want to be a part of any enterprise that refused my right to grow one.

Inward content does not require outward display of it. What's inside should be discovered, not displayed (or attempeted to be displayed).

Wearing GD T-shirts and sporting dreadlocks does little to help acid find you since that's the way most undercover DEA and other authorities dress.

I agree with your last sentence.

--------------------

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #5484240 - 04/05/06 07:18 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i can understand not needing to shove it in peoples' faces, with the idea to 'freak them out' - but, i don't agree with the idea that the only way to find a place in the active economy is to submit to the prevelant ideals. if so, how are lots of people working in 'alternative' sectors (co-ops, f.ex.)? i don't mean to pick at hairs, because i understand the context of things (shroomism needs to get a job to pay off some debts and get on his feet, etc) - but if it comes down to working for 'the man' just to pay him off, and slowly becoming like him in the process, i'd lean towards saying play his game until you are out of his debt, and then searching for an alternative livelihood that more meets your internal criteria.

--------------------

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: Krishna]
    #5484317 - 04/05/06 07:38 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't mean for this to be all about Shroomisms' job hunt. It applies to far more than that and not just to Shroomism, either. It applies to everyone. Outward looks make a difference in first impressions and the firsat impression you want to give people is an open and neutral one so that they can feel comfortable and curious, rather than immediately biased in any way. Unless of course you have a mission to deceive or or impress people into a certain direction of the way they think about you.

I had no idea what my major change of outward appearance would do for me or against me because I never really considered it before doing it (that probably relates to my recent discovery, blind to others' views, never considering them). But MAN!! I noticed an immediate change in the way I'm perceived in the first impression ever since the change of outward appearance.

Again, this not about Shroomisms' decision to shave his face at my suggestion, but about why I made the suggestion and it wasn't completely job-related at all.

I hope you understand that I'm not arguing with your valid viewpoints or opinion, just clarifying mine. :wink:

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: TM] * 1
    #5484395 - 04/05/06 07:59 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Outward looks make a difference in first impressions and the firsat impression you want to give people is an open and neutral one so that they can feel comfortable and curious, rather than immediately biased in any way. Unless of course you have a mission to deceive or or impress people into a certain direction of the way they think about you.

This is somewhat true, in that a lot of people judge others by first impressions, but I think one should really just not give a shit what others think. I generally prefer to appear however I feel, and if people act biased in any way, then that's on them.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: dblaney]
    #5484413 - 04/05/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney said:
a lot of people judge others by first impressions, but I think one should really just not give a shit what others think. I generally prefer to appear however I feel, and if people act biased in any way, then that's on them.

Hmmmm.

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #5484428 - 04/05/06 08:11 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Hehe, well to an extent...not about EVERYTHING: empathy and compassion are wonderful things but if you let yourself care excessively about the image you're projecting, then I think it could be problematic.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: dblaney]
    #5484448 - 04/05/06 08:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Hehe, agreed.. I was just pointing out the way your statement came across. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #5484458 - 04/05/06 08:26 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I feel ya.luckily my facial hair grows so slow i can go 4 months without shaving and after all that time its only about 2 inches long

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5484466 - 04/05/06 08:29 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

heh.. I did not put this thread up for feedback. I was making a statement.
I could really care less about my first impression with people, as people that judge solely on appearance suck.. and are not the type of people I want to be friends with or working for.  :stoned: :strokebeard:  Plus beard just feels natural.

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #5484480 - 04/05/06 08:35 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, always be yourself no matter what...don't worry about what others think..

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5484482 - 04/05/06 08:36 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
heh.. I did not put this thread up for feedback. I was making a statement.
I could really care less about my first impression with people, as people that judge solely on appearance suck.. and are not the type of people I want to be friends with or working for.  :stoned: :strokebeard:

The bolded, although VERY true, has nothing to do with what I said, I never used the word "solely".

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5484485 - 04/05/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not down with semantics :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5484494 - 04/05/06 08:41 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

That's not semantics, it changes the whole meaning. I'm sorry you didn't see that.

It's like what happens when people whisper something to each-other in a circle and that last person blurts out what it was supposed to be started as.

Totally different.

--------------------

OfflinePhoshaman
Litteringannnnddddd?
I'm a teapot

Loc: FLAHHHIDAAA Flag
    #5484595 - 04/05/06 09:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

ain't shaved for weeks

ain't shavin for weeks

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: Phoshaman]
    #5484791 - 04/05/06 10:02 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I believe that its not what they think...

If you are uncomfortable with the beard because you think THEY think its weird, its only yourself making you uncomfortable.

If anyone judges you differently because you have a beard, then they have a lot of growing up to do.

If you think people are judging you because of your beard, its a simple case of being uncomfortable in your own skin.

Perhaps people want to live those childish non-chalant days of there lives past physical maturity, and if they have a beard, they feel like they somehow have to represent a mindset of adulthood? therefore they think that everyone is judging them because of there facial hair.

blah blah blah!

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5484797 - 04/05/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

What is the deal. I use the sharpest razor the best cream, short strokes, and hot water to rinse the razor, and I still have the razor burn line at the bottom of my beard. What the fuck is goin on, mayn?
Is there some sort of cure. Most men don't have this

--------------------
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Decides Who's Left."

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: Todcasil]
    #5484800 - 04/05/06 10:04 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

:lol: that is great advice! hey long time no see...

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5484812 - 04/05/06 10:08 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Are you going to the burnin man southeast in three months? It's going to be da shit for us sun dwellers.
At least in my Saturn induced positive hysteria, I feel that I'll really get somewhere, there. It's the only time I can take off till fall probably.
But how is the lions plains for you.

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: Kerbouchard]
    #5484860 - 04/05/06 10:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

We will see about things like that!  I have a friend who is very into burning man, and he is constantly trying to get me to go.

If I have the funds, anything is possible...

Life has a way of shaping my off time as of late though :laugh:

~whats happenin skunky!?

--------------------
GODDESSES
GODS.

~Casil

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

#5484878 - 04/05/06 10:25 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

not much, back from my 3 month banning here on the pub.
I have a job interview tomorrow for a night gocery stocker. I hope they dont pre-employment test for alcohol though, they are going to drug test me, no big deal there, I havent done a drug that comes up on a test since the end of july of last year.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: Skunk420]
    #5484898 - 04/05/06 10:31 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

super sweet deal man.

Im just tryin to keep it real up in the hizzy if you know what im sayin.

i hope you do, cause i dont!

YEAH!

--------------------
GODDESSES
GODS.

~Casil

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

#5484907 - 04/05/06 10:34 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

hey cool, I think I will be okay, i never had been tested for alcohol anytime during my court probation so I think I will be cool with this.
Hey have you been doing good, it has been a while...i cant flame anyone anymore here...I am not gonna, not worth it.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

#5484941 - 04/05/06 10:42 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Its cool, i didnt think you were gonna flame anyone? :lol:

Ive been ok struggling through a divorce, getting my shit together as it is said.

Freaking out on occasion and being wonderful on others :shrug:

the phase of the moon is predictable, and so is my mind.

I feel sorry for anyone I happen to go crazy around, but the people permanently in my life are used to it by now.

Always growing, always conversing, brother.

--------------------
GODDESSES
GODS.

~Casil

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5484978 - 04/05/06 10:53 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

toad is in da mode. I know it like it was my own toes.
Hairy hobbit feet, is what I Say, when I hit the trails and make a good day.
Trail blazin is what I did today, with trails a blazin and a giant stack of hay.

As far as burning man goes, I can't wait. I feel like I am a burning man. And like the burning women.

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

#5484979 - 04/05/06 10:53 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

That sucks about your divorce, I heave never been married do I dont have a clue.
But hey I flamed the user 'theolduser' on one of his threads..and I just flamed him because he kept pming me about hooking him up with some bud, and I just told him i wansnt interested in hooking up someone unless I got to know him and hung out for a while first.
He got all pissed at me that i didnt hook him up right away and gave me a one shroom trade rating....I never even traded with him, he should have been banned for that...it was drama.
oh well I dont care now that was 3 months ago..

Edited by skunk78395 (04/05/06 10:54 PM)

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5484982 - 04/05/06 10:54 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Going crazy? I doubt it. We like to think tha. Because life really IS crazy. We aren't going crazy, life is. LOVE IT BRO. Love the crazy, it's sometimes hazy. Which sucks for long term planning.
Long term? I live in the NOW(try too :sun:)

--------------------

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
    #5485018 - 04/05/06 11:05 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

never shorter than an electric razor can cut never longer than a electric razor can't cut. that's where i stay.

Edited by rawtoxic (04/05/06 11:05 PM)

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: rawtoxic]
    #5485028 - 04/05/06 11:08 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

goodnight pub and shroomery. All day

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Re: I feel so unnatural when clean shaven [Re: rawtoxic]
    #5485031 - 04/05/06 11:09 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

if I start growing out facial hair i always get acne, besides my job only lets you have a moustache that is only so long.
if I could grow facial hair I would grow out a mostache and a goatee again.

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5485459 - 04/06/06 04:56 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

grow whatever you want, wear whatever you want, be whatever you want...

just accept the consequences of those actions

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom