Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
First Resume (updated) - made one for review
    #17783642 -

Well I need to create a resume. I've never done it before, I only have 2 years of job experience at a car wash, and no community service besides a couple hours at a library. I still don't have my High School Diploma because I can't afford a class I need to take just to obtain .5 credits.... Any advice?

UPDATED:

Didn't sleep at all so I decided I make one :goodmorning: , it's for Nordstrom, :shrug: jobs a job.




Anything I might need to change? Any advice?

Edited by zee007 (02/12/13 01:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: zee007]
    #17783661 -

I just made mine this afternoon. this is how I did mine
Heading: Name
        Addy
        Phone #

Education:
High school
College(if any)

Work experience:

Personal Info(goals n shit)

Thats the outline my mom told me to do so I did.
Good luck mate!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: Divinity]
    #17783673 -

There are also tons and tons of resume formats on the internet!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: Futuresight]
    #17783681 -

Futuresight said:
There are also tons and tons of resume formats on the internet!



I know this I'm just trying to absorb all the advice I can get! I'm sure someone on the forum can give me some nice tips I wouldn't have come across anywhere else

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: Futuresight]
    #17783702 -

Futuresight said:
There are also tons and tons of resume formats on the internet!



Yea man, just do a google search for resumes.

I'd suggest adding things in like

-skills that could apply to the job you are applying to
-Skills with being social (being able to work as part of a team)

I'd send you my resume to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, but I'm no comfortable divulging all that information. Good luck.


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17783707 -

Try not to say anything negative, instead make it sound positive. (ex. instead of low-self-esteem, put "perfectionist")


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17783711 -

I say keep it simple.  Nobody wants to read pages and pages of bullshit.

Name, basic skills, basic experiences.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: badchad]
    #17783819 -

Thanks for all the advice guys.. yeah it does seem google is my best bet... You think being .5 credits away from a high school diploma is going to fuck me over? I'm applying to jobs that require it.... IF ONLY I GOT MY FUCKING ACT TOGETHER ONE SEMESETER

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: zee007]
    #17783846 -

First things first, man.
Get your diploma.

No good job is going to take you seriously without one.


--------------------
I need Jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: badchad]
    #17783847 -

Keep it professional and make sure you have it flawless. Most places that might have taken you will put your otherwise-polished curricula vitae straight into the recycle bin if they see "2 years, 8 months - Oak Street Car Wahs" or any other oversights.

Most of the templates/sample layouts that come with Word, Open Office, etc. have been seen by HR people a million times before so if you're applying to anywhere big or that has a large HR/recruiting division, it's a -1 if they recognize your layout as one they've seen before... a MILLION times before. A mom'n'pop outfit, this isn't a big deal though and will (*probably*) be neutral.

HAVE SOMEONE YOU KNOW LOOK IT OVER AND DO SEVERAL DRAFTS. I submitted my resume to a major corporation once and then was going to use that resume for an FBLA resume contest; the faculty sponsor for FBLA approached me a day or two before we headed out to the contest and said my resume was so bad there wouldn't be time to get it in shape so just don't worry about competing there.

The library probably, like nearly all public libraries, has someone that puts on resume workshops or who you can meet with. Investigate this. If they don't but there's someone that does ANYTHING related, i.e. Microsoft Office for Beginners workshop, approach them and ask them to give you tips.

MOST OF ALL:

KEEP IT RELEVANT AND FOCUSED. This is more true the more formal/"corporate" the position is. In a small-town, mom-n-pop restaurant, they might not mind (and it may do good!) to include your hobbies but may be less and less appropriate the--again--more formal the position is. Have an objective/about me section where you say what you're about and what you want with them (I'm a reliable, customer-oriented hard-worker [[<--note that what you chose to "call" yourself here sets the tone so make sure it flows into the rest of your resume]]
seeking an opportunity to apply my skills and leadership as assistant manager/an intern/a line chef at [their name here].

I'd be happy to look it over for you and give you suggestions. Bigger places looking for more "vocational" skills, i.e. programming, often completely strip the formatting out of your resume and run it through a computer to scan for keywords their managers have been complaining they don't have enough people for (i.e. "C++", "Python", etc.) so put anything and everything and be descriptive.

I had to do 5 volunteer events at a soup kitchen in high school for my [mandatory] Catholic Confirmation. On my resume? "Volunteer, St. James Soup Kitchen, 2005-2006: helped prepare and serve over 200 meals each visit while assisting in coordinating volunteer participation and managing kitchen and cleanup duties".

If you're not exaggerating your resume, you're behind the 100% of people that do, keep that in mind. If you're lying on it though, as 40% do, you're BEGGING for trouble. Also be ready to talk about anything you put on the resume in an interview.

Again, PM me and I can give you my email so I can look over what you come up with and give you suggestions. I'd even be happy to be your "go through a couple drafts with" guy if you'd like, but I do recommend once you/we get it in good shape to run it one more time by the person at your library who'd be in charge of this kind of thing.


Hope that's more helpful than google :smile:

Source: bazillions of internships


--------------------
Back, bitches.
st1lln0x: so i'm on weed, temazepam, adderall, dexedrine, dxm, dph, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, tryptophan, GABA, and kratom
Cavemen_savemen: st1lln0x, do you feel like a robot yet?
st1lln0x: I feel like a fucking Gundam
Click to friend me on Steam for Counter-Strike
:crankey: IS LIFE SKULLFUCKING YOU!? HAVE SOME FREE MORALE! :awesomenod:
Click if you want to feel you alone can do it! Click if you want to feel confident and beastly! Click if you want courage to let go and move on! And click the message if you need someone to talk to -- I'll understand, even if we "hate" each other on here :hug: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: zee007]
    #17783849 -

The ideal resume fits on a single page.

Up at the top you will have your career goal statement.  This goes under your name, address and phone number.  This is the statement that is going to catch the eye of the employer/recruiter and must encapsulate what your services really mean to the potential buyer (i.e.: the employer).

Under that do your section on school and what you accomplished there.  Let's face facts; you are going to be looking at an entry-level job, so that should be what you focus your skill set match upon.

Under that put in three (3) character references.  People who are somebody (i.e.: doctor, lawyer, successful businessman, etc.) are who you want, not fellow stoners or college chums.

Center it on the page and don't forget to focus on the things that are meaningful to the employer, such as:

1. Being a team player and what you learned from team sports.

2. Being an effective communicator and how school prepared you for your vocational career by helping you learn how to be an effective communicator.

3. Being a leader and getting people to buy into your ideas plans and programs.

Good luck!


--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: zee007]
    #17783868 -

If you're only 1/2 a credit short there are places where you can finish that course on a computer in a classroom outside of your school. This might be just here, but it's worth looking into.

You could always just get your GED if what I mentioned above isn't available where you are. A monkey could pass the GED test it's so damn easy.

Here ya go, this is a GED practice exam:
http://www.4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=38


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: zee007]
    #17783883 -

zee007 said:
Thanks for all the advice guys.. yeah it does seem google is my best bet... You think being .5 credits away from a high school diploma is going to fuck me over? I'm applying to jobs that require it.... IF ONLY I GOT MY FUCKING ACT TOGETHER ONE SEMESETER



Yeah, it's gonna fuck you over. Play it to your advantage. Talk about how you regret it but you've been working on your GED for a while now and look forward to finally having that huge accomplishment/milestone in life (and act proud when this comes up in the interview; it's circumventing a problem/potential door while also giving you a chance to show them another good aspect of you, which is that you're a self-improver and that you've been doing more than just hanging out on drug forums while you haven't been working.

Not working on your GED yet? Then 2 things... A) yes you were and B) get on it! It's a ticket to ride and not having a HS Dip/GED will lock you out of a lot of good opportunities.

If you're under 21, you're federally entitled to a public education. Go re-enroll for that last half credit hour. Frankly, it'd be even less work to do a summer HS class for your last 0.5 hour class than to have to start from the ground up (basically) on a GED. Talk to your former principle/teachers about if this might be able to be arranged.


Kroniko is right too (BTW I've been listening to nothing but D.Veloped since winter break, Kroniko lol). Online high schools are becoming popular and will be free if you're under 21, else talk to a school official (probably your old counselor/adviser) about how you could use this to plug the gap and graduate. Else, get you that Good Enough Diploma... you'll be proud of yourself :smile:


--------------------
Back, bitches.
st1lln0x: so i'm on weed, temazepam, adderall, dexedrine, dxm, dph, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, tryptophan, GABA, and kratom
Cavemen_savemen: st1lln0x, do you feel like a robot yet?
st1lln0x: I feel like a fucking Gundam
Click to friend me on Steam for Counter-Strike
:crankey: IS LIFE SKULLFUCKING YOU!? HAVE SOME FREE MORALE! :awesomenod:
Click if you want to feel you alone can do it! Click if you want to feel confident and beastly! Click if you want courage to let go and move on! And click the message if you need someone to talk to -- I'll understand, even if we "hate" each other on here :hug: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: thoughts]
    #17783893 -

iwasaClown said:
First things first, man.
Get your diploma.

No good job is going to take you seriously without one.



I know :unwanted: I just cnat afford to get it. I really need a quality job. do they look to see if you have your highschool diploma in your resume?

@Kr0nik0 I refuse to graduate with a GED, I'm looking towards bigger plans in the future


Thanks again for the advice guys, some posts I skipped over, TL;DR but I will take my time out to read them when I finish filling out some minimum wage apps I just came across that may be hiring

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: st1llnox]
    #17783908 -

st1llnox said:
zee007 said:
Thanks for all the advice guys.. yeah it does seem google is my best bet... You think being .5 credits away from a high school diploma is going to fuck me over? I'm applying to jobs that require it.... IF ONLY I GOT MY FUCKING ACT TOGETHER ONE SEMESETER



Yeah, it's gonna fuck you over. Play it to your advantage. Talk about how you regret it but you've been working on your GED for a while now and look forward to finally having that huge accomplishment/milestone in life (and act proud when this comes up in the interview; it's circumventing a problem/potential door while also giving you a chance to show them another good aspect of you, which is that you're a self-improver and that you've been doing more than just hanging out on drug forums while you haven't been working.

Not working on your GED yet? Then 2 things... A) yes you were and B) get on it! It's a ticket to ride and not having a HS Dip/GED will lock you out of a lot of good opportunities.

If you're under 21, you're federally entitled to a public education. Go re-enroll for that last half credit hour. Frankly, it'd be even less work to do a summer HS class for your last 0.5 hour class than to have to start from the ground up (basically) on a GED. Talk to your former principle/teachers about if this might be able to be arranged.


Kroniko is right too (BTW I've been listening to nothing but D.Veloped since winter break, Kroniko lol). Online high schools are becoming popular and will be free if you're under 21, else talk to a school official (probably your old counselor/adviser) about how you could use this to plug the gap and graduate. Else, get you that Good Enough Diploma... you'll be proud of yourself :smile:



There is a online class I have partially signed up for that will give me .5 credit and a highschool diploma. I just need to cough up $200 which I'm having family members work on. But are you saying it may be too late for me to get my diploma?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: zee007]
    #17783918 -

zee007 said:
iwasaClown said:
First things first, man.
Get your diploma.

No good job is going to take you seriously without one.



I know :unwanted: I just cnat afford to get it. I really need a quality job. do they look to see if you have your highschool diploma in your resume?

@Kr0nik0 I refuse to graduate with a GED, I'm looking towards bigger plans in the future


Thanks again for the advice guys, some posts I skipped over, TL;DR but I will take my time out to read them when I finish filling out some minimum wage apps I just came across that may be hiring



Good for you. GED's are the easy way out, and yes, employers look for your education level in your resume which should be included.

If you're just applying for some minimum wage jobs, I doubt they care if you graduated from HS or not. I mean, I was working at CVS as soon as I turned 16. :shrug:


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: zee007] * 1
    #17783961 -

get a good tan, learn a little spanish and stand outside home depot.
someone will give you a job.


--------------------
:willynilly:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17784099 -

kr0nik0 said:
zee007 said:
iwasaClown said:
First things first, man.
Get your diploma.

No good job is going to take you seriously without one.



I know :unwanted: I just cnat afford to get it. I really need a quality job. do they look to see if you have your highschool diploma in your resume?

@Kr0nik0 I refuse to graduate with a GED, I'm looking towards bigger plans in the future


Thanks again for the advice guys, some posts I skipped over, TL;DR but I will take my time out to read them when I finish filling out some minimum wage apps I just came across that may be hiring



Good for you. GED's are the easy way out, and yes, employers look for your education level in your resume which should be included.

If you're just applying for some minimum wage jobs, I doubt they care if you graduated from HS or not. I mean, I was working at CVS as soon as I turned 16. :shrug:



I disagree.  You weren't expected to have graduated high school at 16, but by 19-20 you are, and if you didn't finish and aren't in school, that doesn't look good on you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: broken]
    #17784106 -

No ones gonna ask for your HS diploma. If they do, oh well. Move on. Just lie about it.


--------------------
A million tomorrows and a million yesterdays but mine is today

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: First Resume [Re: Cybernetic]
    #17784193 -

Cybernetic said:
No ones gonna ask for your HS diploma. If they do, oh well. Move on. Just lie about it.



This is what I was looking for! :thumbup: Thanks man

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Lying on your resume
( 1 2 all )
Gilgamesh18 2,143 31 08/04/14 08:37 PM
by akira_akuma
* Making a resume Corporal Kielbasa 1,760 15 02/01/07 03:08 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* Teaching English Abroad (esp. Latin America) OneMoreRobot3021 1,696 11 02/23/06 07:39 AM
by Derelict
* Venting on job hunt Horse_Meister 1,020 5 04/10/07 12:13 PM
by coAsTal
* Fake Id For Job ? Questions and any suggestions for me
( 1 2 all )
PLOWTO 3,365 29 01/28/14 07:34 AM
by Repertoire89
* Why is graduating high school such a big fucking deal?
( 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 all )
TrippingFace 9,092 200 06/03/13 07:41 AM
by Trippinhighman
* Finally ! OogieBoogie 1,144 18 06/10/09 12:02 PM
by OogieBoogie
* Did you go to college after high school??
( 1 2 all )
Anthony917 1,956 35 05/03/11 12:58 PM
by IamMatt

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,092 topic views. 6 members, 34 guests and 228 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.