Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth * 3
    #17774867 -

According to new data provided by NASA's Kepler Space Telescope they have found billions of Earth like planets in our galaxy.  The data comes from scientists studying the red drawfs in our galaxy.  They estimate 6 percent of the 75 billion red dwarf stars may have Earth-size planets orbiting them at a possible habitable distance. That works out to approximately 4.5 billion Earths out there.  Also they estimate that the nearest possible Earth like planet is only 13 light years away (78 trillion miles) which astronomically speaking is practically next door.  Here is the article: link.

Anyone else think this information considerably strengthens the UFO argument?  I think without a doubt we have, and still are being visited by extraterrestrials.  :aliendance:


--------------------
                           

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: liberty hunter] * 2
    #17774871 -

Woah, thats interesting.


--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: liberty hunter] * 1
    #17774882 -

Pretty cool.
Doesn't really present a compelling argument for extraterrestrial visitors.  Still neat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: liberty hunter] * 3
    #17774883 -

Without a doubt we have been and are being visited by beings who refuse to make themselves known but don't hide themselves well enough to avoid "sightings"? Scientists at NASA would disagree but you're certain?:hmm:


--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."


UBUNTU- I am because we are.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17774906 -

JoieDeVivre said:
Without a doubt we have been and are being visited by beings who refuse to make themselves known but don't hide themselves well enough to avoid "sightings"? Scientists at NASA would disagree but you're certain?:hmm:



Of course NASA would disagree. Imagine the widespread panic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: luvdemboomers] * 2
    #17774932 -

luvdemboomers said:
Of course NASA would disagree. Imagine the widespread panic.



They disagree because there's no real proof. Why does it even seem likely there are other intelligent beings that have acquired the ability to travel such far distances when we haven't even done that yet? And why would these beings be so secretive and hidden yet able to be spotted randomly by joe schmoe the conspiracy theorist?


--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."


UBUNTU- I am because we are.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: luvdemboomers] * 2
    #17774937 -

luvdemboomers said:
JoieDeVivre said:
Without a doubt we have been and are being visited by beings who refuse to make themselves known but don't hide themselves well enough to avoid "sightings"? Scientists at NASA would disagree but you're certain?:hmm:



Of course NASA would disagree. Imagine the widespread panic.



NASA would not be the gatekeeper of that kind of knowledge. These telescopes, like the Kepler, are not subject to government clearance. Most of their data is in the public domain, and the people who run the missions are not usually government employees.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: koods]
    #17774945 -

JoieDeVivre said:
Scientists at NASA would disagree but you're certain?:hmm:



This former NASA astronaut would agree: Link


--------------------
                           

Edited by liberty hunter (02/09/13 09:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17774954 -

JoieDeVivre said:
luvdemboomers said:
Of course NASA would disagree. Imagine the widespread panic.



They disagree because there's no real proof. Why does it even seem likely there are other intelligent beings that have acquired the ability to travel such far distances when we haven't even done that yet? And why would these beings be so secretive and hidden yet able to be spotted randomly by joe schmoe the conspiracy theorist?



:lol:

We've only been to space about 50 years ago, you put the human race on a way too high pedestal. Also we use fossil fuel, do you think it's weird we don't get far?

If only I could live in the future of space colonization. :feelssadman:

i'm not saying we are being visited but i'm not denying it either. If i'd take my loopglass and put it over planet earth to see what's going on, I wouldn't want to be seen either. Befriending parasites will suck you dry.

Edited by Beanhead (02/09/13 09:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: Beanhead] * 1
    #17774967 -

There's absolutely no evidence pointing to the contrary that we are the pinnacle of technological progression at this time.
Speculation, regardless of how credible, is just that; speculation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: Beanhead]
    #17774968 -

ONLY 13 light years away!!!


--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 4
    #17774970 -

JoieDeVivre said:
Why does it even seem likely there are other intelligent beings that have acquired the ability to travel such far distances when we haven't even done that yet?



While I whole-heartedly appreciate your skepticism in this situation, I can't help but find this line of thinking completely arrogant. What do human achievements have to do with the possible achievements of extra-terrestrial lifeforms? To assume we're the pinnacle of intelligent life in the universe seems awfully narrow-minded.


--------------------
:philkensebben: There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: mytehdogizflying]
    #17774982 -

sVs said:
There's absolutely no evidence pointing to the contrary that we are the pinnacle of technological progression at this time.
Speculation, regardless of how credible, is just that; speculation.



:shrug: life is too random to not occur elsewhere.

mytehdogizflying said:
JoieDeVivre said:
Why does it even seem likely there are other intelligent beings that have acquired the ability to travel such far distances when we haven't even done that yet?



While I whole-heartedly appreciate your skepticism in this situation, I can't help but find this line of thinking completely arrogant. What do human achievements have to do with the possible achievements of extra-terrestrial lifeforms? To assume we're the pinnacle of intelligent life in the universe seems awfully narrow-minded.



Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: Beanhead] * 2
    #17775013 -

I think it's mistaken to think I'm being arrogant. I'm not assuming we're the pinnacle of intelligent life in the universe, I'm just saying that we have no proof that there is life more evolved than what we have here on earth out there. I'm not saying it's impossible or unlikely.

We have no evidence to suggest there is life more intelligent than the life on Earth, and thus it is the most likely scenario. It's entirely possible that tomorrow morning intelligent beings will land here on earth and then we'll have proof of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe but right now we have no proof at all. :shrug: If there were intelligent beings that could travel to earth there's no real reason for them to be hiding because there are plenty of intelligent and tolerant human beings and it's certainly unlikely that their cloaking devices would occasionally malfunction so that random conspiracy theorists could have UFO sightings.


Beanhead said:
:shrug: life is too random to not occur elsewhere.




Life is too random to not occur elsewhere? I don't understand that claim. For life to have developed on earth a lot of highly improbable circumstances had to all line up at the same time and that had to keep on happening for life to evolve to the point that it has thus far.


--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."


UBUNTU- I am because we are.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: Beanhead]
    #17775034 -

That's not even a remotely compelling argument, as it makes zero sense.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17775068 -

JoieDeVivre said:
We have no evidence to suggest there is life more intelligent than the life on Earth, and thus it is the most likely scenario.



No, the complete lack of ANY evidence on either side means both scenarios are just as likely.

Again, I appreciate your skepticism, but I don't understand why it's only narrowly applied to the things you don't believe. You should be skeptical of everything, including accepted facts.


--------------------
:philkensebben: There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17775075 -

JoieDeVivre said:
right now we have no proof at all. :shrug:



Here are 12 government documents released through the FOIA that shows proof of sightings. Link


--------------------
                           

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: liberty hunter]
    #17775090 -

mytehdogizflying said:
No, the complete lack of ANY evidence on either side means both scenarios are just as likely.

Again, I appreciate your skepticism, but I don't understand why it's only narrowly applied to the things you don't believe. You should be skeptical of everything, including accepted facts.



You're only reading part of my posts. (I was going to go back and edit the poorly worded sentence you did quote out anyway but I didn't get a chance.) I'm just saying it's entirely possible there's intelligent life out there, but that it's completely unlikely that "UFO sightings" are evidence of them visiting us or that they'd be visiting us so frequently and hiding themselves from us. That's what I meant to convey in this thread.

There's nothing I do "believe" because belief implies a lack of knowledge. There are things I know for certain, there are things I know are probable and there are things I know are not probable. My skepticism is applied across the board and even the things I know are liable to be changed if compelling evidence to the contrary becomes apparent. :shrug:

liberty hunter said:
Here are 12 government documents released through the FOIA that shows proof of sightings. Link



Yeah there are plenty of UFO sightings, I'm not saying they don't happen. I'm saying they aren't indicative of intelligent life visiting us, they're just indicative that when things are far away in the sky they're difficult to identify especially for your average person.


--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."


UBUNTU- I am because we are.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 3
    #17775155 -

I've had sightings, these pics suck (doesn't every UFO pic suck unless it's faked?) :lol:
It was about a mile from my house in FL early this week on my way home from work. Never posted them before.
I'm not saying this was aliens, but it wasn't anything I've seen before, and it hovered in place for 2-3 mins before vanishing.



I consider myself a legit dood.
:awesomenod:


--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kepler Space Telescope Finds Billions Of Earth Like Planets Near Earth [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17775174 -

Okay, okay, I get it :smile:. No proof and no speculations! I do have a very vivid imagination. Look up "neccesity and sufficiency" though* and you can't discredit something that science can't prove yet, that isn't very scientific of you.

I think the opposite, Joie. To put it simply: life requires a few building blocks to flourish, there are many different combinations which flourish in many different conditions; as of now planet earth has a good enviroment for life, not only for humans (there are species out there which survive without oxygen, without light, which survive in extreme heat and cold). There is ET life; perhaps we are(nt) visited by other sentient beings but atleast there's proof for the early form: bacteria which we may or may not have brought to another planet ourselves but that's not important, seeing as it survives there anyhow. These bacteria can only develop further, despite the conditions.

As long as we aren't able to view further then our own galaxy (or is it noses?) I can't argue with you as I also want proof but alas our technological pinnacle can only reach a few planets further so yes, we are the only life here. One can't argue about the probability of infinite planets out there as that is not proof for life, although we have 8 (pretty known) planets here and one has life. That makes a rather big probability percentage-wise with infinite options to choose from.

Also sVs, you don't bring a lot of bread to the table eh? :lol:
*Look it up.

Edited by Beanhead (02/09/13 10:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Kepler 22-b!!!! (Earth 2.0) Envix 981 13 12/06/11 12:29 PM
by Shroomism
* Historic Kepler Telescope crippled by malfunction DeadHearts 677 8 05/16/13 12:13 PM
by DeadHearts
* NASA's Kepler Confirms Its First Planet in Habitable Zone Outside Our Solar System Daytona White 648 7 12/06/11 03:18 PM
by AlteredAgain
* If Kepler Planet 485b had life, how would it change your life? LogicaL ChaosM 693 13 07/29/15 10:07 AM
by Prisoner#1
* Kepler Finds 1st Earth-Sized Planet in Habitable Zone
( 1 2 3 all )
hTx 1,780 44 04/18/14 11:04 AM
by hTx
* Kepler Telescope Detects Possible Earth-Size Planet Taco Chef 833 13 08/26/10 05:02 PM
by MoJesus
* NASA picture of the day - The Kepler
( 1 2 all )
Frost 1,951 29 04/09/11 09:28 PM
by AErthule
* Telescopes/. JaRRn 1,176 10 02/14/05 07:10 AM
by niteowl

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,200 topic views. 1 members, 16 guests and 95 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.