Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
String Theory is messed up!
    #1751172 - 07/26/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That is all.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: nubious]
    #1751252 - 07/26/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

thanks....

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: barfightlard]
    #1751299 - 07/26/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

wasnt the string theory replaced by the M theory or something?

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1751557 - 07/26/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

there was string theory...
and then there was SUPER STRING theory... or some shit
I can't keep up with it. don't know anything about m theory

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #1751584 - 07/26/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

All I know is that everything vibrates.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: Shroomism]
    #1751604 - 07/26/03 08:47 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

they should call it the Silly String Theory

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #1751678 - 07/26/03 09:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Not really replaced... m theory tries to incorporate the 3 superstring theories, suergravity (11th dimensions), and heterotic? (dont ask, never read it) cause each one seems to work in a diffrent instance.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1751688 - 07/26/03 09:28 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I dont pay much attention to current earth science theory, I just listen to alien theory, they're more confident in their knowledge.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #1752216 - 07/27/03 01:22 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

M-theory is the collection of all 5 known string theories, and combines them into one unified theory  :smirk:

String theory makes a lot of sense to me, intuitively. It feels like a very elegant and symmetrical view of matter and energy. Everything is a string. Everything vibrates, with the vibrational frequency determening the properities of the resulting "particle".

A great book to read on the subject of string theory is The Elegant Universe, by Brian Greene.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: trendal]
    #1753583 - 07/27/03 04:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

look up Michiau Kaku (sp?) that shit is so unteresting. He is so fucking smart it wigs me out.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: Vulture]
    #1753661 - 07/27/03 05:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I've read one of his books, Hyperspace. He seems pretty smart, yeah, but he also seems to be quite a bit of a dreamer. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but some of his ideas seem like wishful thinking to me  :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Anonymous

Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: trendal]
    #1753893 - 07/27/03 07:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I always sort of knew that everything that exists vibrates but I didn't know there was actually a name for it.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: ]
    #1754420 - 07/27/03 11:24 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The popular books on string theory are great,but what I gathered is that to really understand it,you need to know the math behind it.Unfortunately,that math is beyond 99.999% of the population.

Green's book is really good,but I think it's a lot better at explaining relativity and quantum mechanics to the uniniated than string theory.Towards the end when he gets into string theory,it just feels like your learning a bunch of new words you know nothing about.It's like semantic stamp collecting or something,if you catch my drift.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1754467 - 07/27/03 11:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

A good book on string theory: "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene

Very readable and barely any math! 

edit: already recommended above :smile: but ive got it if ya wanna borrow it

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (07/27/03 11:43 PM)

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: monoamine]
    #1754509 - 07/28/03 12:06 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

grandmasterfat said:
Green's book is really good,but I think it's a lot better at explaining relativity and quantum mechanics to the uniniated than string theory.Towards the end when he gets into string theory,it just feels like your learning a bunch of new words you know nothing about.It's like semantic stamp collecting or something,if you catch my drift.

Yea...i have to agree with that. The book is awesome and i really liked it...but towards the end it got hard to follow, and i didn't find i as enjoyable to read as it was earlier on. That book is awesome though..i especialy liked the chapter where he was talking about all the dimensions. Blows my mind. String theory is an inteesting idea. It makes more sense that everything is made up of one thing than a bunch of different things.

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: Help on the Way]
    #1754622 - 07/28/03 01:14 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Unless you people learn about E9 Symmetry... it's pretty much pointless arguing this shit with a physicist (as they'll pull the bullshit card and say "it's beyond you"). In my opinion (haven't bothered to construct a true proof), Superstring theory and the like use mathematical shortcuts and connections that aren't really viable. This is also why very little (none?) real evidence for such unifying theories has come up since Einstein first introduced the concept.

I'm open to the possibility, but I've been eating pudding all my life and proof for Superstring Theory etc. has never appeared on my spoon.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: ]
    #1754803 - 07/28/03 02:48 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You don't need string theory to conclude that everything vibrates. Ordinary quantum mechanics gives you this result. And we are all vibrationary states of the vacuum according to quantum field theory. The only mystery is that we don't know the nature of the dimensions in which the vibrations are occurring.

String theory is really a modern fancy version of Kaluza-Klein theory. Kaluza-Klein theory was a non-quantum unified theory that was developed in the 1920s. It takes Einstein's theory of gravitation and adds an extra space dimension to Einstein's 3 space dimensions and 1 time dimension. This fifth dimension was assumed to be curled up on itself like a tiny circle, which explains why we haven't noticed it. Classical point particles moving along such a circle corresponded to electric charges. Because two opposite directions of motion are possible on a circle, that explained why there are positive and negative electric charges. Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism could then be derived from Einstein's equations in 5-dimensional spacetime.

The problem with Kaluza-Klein theory was that the size of the fifth-dimension circles is an extra degree of freedom, one which has never been observed, and which is also mathematically unstable. So Kaluza-Klein theory was replaced by what is now called gauge theories, where the fifth dimension is replaced by an abstract entity called "the group U(1)" which does not have that extra degree of freedom. It has only the local phase information corresponding to positions on the circle.

Later on, other more complex groups were added to U(1) in order to represent forces other than electromagnetism: the one for the weak force is called SU(2) and the one for the strong force is called SU(3). The so-called Standard Model of particle physics is based on the combined group U(1) x SU(2) x SU(3). Other groups called SU(5) and E8 x E8 have been proposed for various unified theories.

I don't understand the math of string theory, but the basic assumption seems to be very similar to Kaluza-Klein theory, only now we have 10 or 26 dimensions (depending on which version of string theory) instead of just 5, and of which 6 or 22 space dimensions are curled up in various complicated ways. And even if it's an interesting way to explore unification with gravity, the lack of experimental evidence for string theory is just as conspicuous as it was for Kaluza-Klein theory.

Offlinenemesis
Stranger

Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1755346 - 07/28/03 07:02 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

*nods in agreement*
Superstring theory has its problems but its an attempt. Im always thinking of the universe is meant to be this complicated, maybe there is an infinite form which is not concievable to us yet?.. perhaps, very interesting :smile:

--------------------
May Peace and fellicity smile on those who seek it.

Offlinespecterz
Stranger
Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: nemesis]
    #11066772 - 09/15/09 09:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

it doesnt matter theres infinite sub-sub-sub-sub atomic particles, the whole thing isnt symmetric, there is something outside of it, the least we can do it grab on to a little bit more infinity.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: String Theory is messed up! [Re: specterz] * 1
    #11066867 - 09/15/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order