Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemaduglyman
Assman

Loc: Halifax NS Canada
Help With edible hunting
    #1752579 - 07/27/03 10:03 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hello, I have just started trying to find some delicious edibles in the woods of Nova Scotia. I have Come a cross a couple of species that I would like help identifying before digging in. Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries just before I could snap a few pictures but I think I can describe it clearly enough.
The first is a bolete that stains blue on the stem. Remember that this is in Nova Scotia in the woods. Is this an edible Bolete or not?

The next is somewhat more tricky. See, I started this mushroom fascination when I discovered my first Amanita Muscaria. The amanita's here are small, 2-5 inches diameter, and arre light orange to yellow. They are everywhere right now and usually have the spots still on them. Ocasionally I will see a mushroom that looks like Amanita, but it is a lighter yellow than the Muscaria and doesn't have spots. The stem is usually a bit longer and thicker than the A. Muscaria. My question is, is it possible that this is Amanita Caesaria? How can I tell in the future to be absolutely certain?

Would really appreciate help with these as I don't want to eat an unhealthy or poisonous mushroom.
THANKS!

--------------------
I Wonder if heaven got a ghetto? and if it does, is Tupac there?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Help With edible hunting [Re: maduglyman]
    #1752720 - 07/27/03 11:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i've heard that blue bruising boletes are for the most part bad news, I would steer clear of them for eating purposes. I don't know about your other find tho. Do you have a good field guide? I would say that's really the place to start.

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #1753930 - 07/27/03 09:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hold your horses for a second....posting here with vague details about whether or not a mushroom might be edible is a recipe for disaster.

Even posting digital photos doesn't necessarily make identification much better -- like the other poster said, you really want a field guide and field tools.

(Not trying to piss on your fireworks; just wouldn't want you to get sick, or worse, from an incorrect identification).

-psy

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Help With edible hunting [Re: psyconaut]
    #1754179 - 07/27/03 11:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I use the national audubon society field guide to north american mushrooms, but I imagine you could find a more specifically canadian guide if you look around. Visit the shroomery bookstore and see if you can find anything there.

http://www.shroomery.org/books.php?cat=Hunting&screen=1

once you've got the guide, don't just look at the pictures, but read the introduction and "how to use this guide" section. When i got my first field guide (reptiles and amphibians) i couldn't read yet so I just looked at all the pictures... I kept up the habit for many years and when i finally learned to use the guide i realized what I had been missing out on. The entries in the field guide will give you an idea of how to describe a mushroom to other mycophiles, which will come in very handy when asking for help on identifications. The people in the mushroom hunting forum can be extremely helpful if given a detailed description of a find. A field guide will also tell you the geographic range and season for different mushrooms.

I would suggest starting out by identifying any mushroom you find w/ your guide, thereby getting practice in using it. As a beginner it would be best to search for very unique edibles (morels for instance) and/or have an experienced mushroom hunter help you. I have been a mushroom enthusiast for years but only recently became comfortable with eating wild mushrooms that I have identified myself. If you are very careful, you will have a long time to pursue the hobby and can go slow, but if one is not careful enough, their mushroom huntin days may be numbered. better safe than sorry.

good luck!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1759683 - 07/29/03 03:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You've posted this question in the wrong forum. The people in the Hunting Forum are probably better able to answer your questions.

First, your bolete. Some boletes that stain blue are poisonous. We need to know a bunch more before we can identify yours to species and know if it's edible, poisonous, or unknown. What color is the cap? How big is it? Is it dry, slimy, sticky? Cut it in half vertically - how long does it take to turn blue? What color are the tubes when young and mature (they may be different)? What color is the spore print? Is the stem smooth or reticulate (looks like a fine net on the surface)?

If you answer those we might have it - we might need to get more info.

Amanita is a dangerous genus to be eating. More people die from eating Amanitas than all other genera of mushrooms put together.

Having said that, there are a few differences between Amanita muscaria and Caesar's Amanita in North America that you can use.

The volva in A. muscaria consists of several rings of tissue on the stem. The volva in Caesar's Amanita is typically a saclike structure enclosing the base of the stem.

The gills in A. muscaria are white or very nearly so. The gills in most varieties of Caesar's Amanita are conspicuously yellow to orange.

Because of the danger involved with a mistake in the genus Amanita, the first recommendation is that you should not eat them. If you're determined to ignore that, then you should collect the edible species several times, preferably over a few years, and get a local expert to confirm the ID, before you eat any the first time.

You should be aware also that there are a lot of yellowish capped Amanitas other than A. muscaria. Accurate identification to species is not easy, and usually requires a microscope. Rod Tulloss is in the process of writing up more than 100 new, currently unnamed species of yellow to brown capped Amanitas from northeastern North America alone. The edibility of these species is unknown. Experimentation with them is not wise.

Currently, the best online reference I know of for the genus is Dr Tulloss' page on the genus. It's far from complete, but he has current versions of the provisional keys he's working on available.

You will notice that I didn't give a scientific name for Caesar's Amanita above. That's because the true A. caesarea probably doesn't occur in North America. One of the species we have is A. jacksonii.

Hopefully that's a little help.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinemaduglyman
Assman

Loc: Halifax NS Canada
Re: Help With edible hunting [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1770712 - 08/01/03 08:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you, that is a very intersting discussion, I'll get the field guide!

--------------------
I Wonder if heaven got a ghetto? and if it does, is Tupac there?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification