Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

Loc: South-central USA
Mushroom Hunting Database
    #1752022 - 07/26/03 11:34 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

First, sorry for the long absence.  Between moving and the summer term and starting my own business, I've barely had time to tend my grows, let alone talk about them.  :smile:

Anyway, I've this idea: A searchable database using longitude and latitude to advise potential mushy hunters.  By using long/lat, we can tell people exactly where other people have found mushrooms.

How it will work:

Everyone who remembers where they've found shrooms and doesn't mind taking the time will fill out a form, on the honour system, which will feed into a database, which can be searched by species, location w/in so many miles/degrees of a given location.  Effect: The 'Wild mushrooms in my area?' posts disappear and eventually I might even try to render some maps of special(of species (sp)?) coverage throughout the world.

Anyway, I'm posting this before its ready in case there are obvious problems with this I haven't considered. 

Comments welcome

-Seiko

EDIT:
The census bearau seems to have made the location to coordinate conversion pretty simple: (http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer) at least in US.  Note the grid-lined maps.

--------------------
Seiko Samurai -=- The Way, The One, The Force: Tao

Anything herein is a work of creative fiction not to be treated as even having a basis in fact

Edited by Seiko (07/26/03 11:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Hunting Database [Re: Seiko]
    #1752213 - 07/27/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

it would either have to be verry vague concerning locations or be hosted at another site, due to the rules here.

i think it sounds like a good idea in general.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

Re: Mushroom Hunting Database [Re: canid]
    #1752833 - 07/27/03 11:36 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, of course, I was planning on developping and hosting it myself.

-Seiko

--------------------

Anything herein is a work of creative fiction not to be treated as even having a basis in fact

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

#1752851 - 07/27/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You raise a good point though, concretefeet, I wonder what kind of legal situations I'll be putting myself in. As long as I disclaim that I take no responsibility for illegal utilization of this service, etc.

Anyone know better than me the law regarding hunting and reporting thereon?

-Seiko

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1752978 - 07/27/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

[edit: oops, double post]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (07/27/03 12:38 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1752979 - 07/27/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

it is perfectly leagal to report findings of mushrooms, even psilocybian mushrooms. the leagal problems only come into play when you are in posession of them or trespassing to find them.

you would have to be sure nobody reported finds on private property, and hopefuly [IMO] not even on specific pieces of property, so that overhunting dosen't become a problem in a particular field.

i like the idea. it would be nice to be able to keep records of finds for species not well known by most hunters. it seems that there is orten an enormous amount of coonfusion over which species grow in a particular state, much less a town.

good luck, and be sure to post about it or ask any questions.

--------------------

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

#1753127 - 07/27/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I've decided to put a couple hours into it, and I've got an alpha version of the system up and running on the company box. I'll move it when I find a better place.

Even though it looks ugly and the search is only by north-western hemisphere location, the DB backend is totally coded, so do not hesitate to put any hunting reports you'd like into the system.

Alpha Version Site

--------------------

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA Flag
    #1753199 - 07/27/03 02:23 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I see 2 problems with the database.

1) Law enforcement could use it to set up stings.

2) Most people prefer to keep their prime patches a secret.

The site could be great for non-actives though and habitat information.

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

Re: Mushroom Hunting Database [Re: Stymee]
    #1753213 - 07/27/03 02:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What we've all got to understand is that 1/100the of a degree is like an entire city block. I'm just trying to create something so people can tell what kind to look for, and the conditions to keep an eye out for (setting)

I doubt highly that a sting would be built on the possibility of someone who, by their precense isn't likely a home-grower, drug dealer, or anything worth paying all those men 24 hours a day to catch, but I've been surprised before.

-Seiko

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1753232 - 07/27/03 02:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think it would work.

Just from my point of view... I'd be god damned if I ever gave out one of my Morel or Chanterelle patches on the internet.
No way in hell some lazy mofo is going to rape the patches that I worked hard to find.

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

Re: Mushroom Hunting Database [Re: Gumby]
    #1753246 - 07/27/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't want to give away your patches, then, don't give an exact answer. The point isn't to share patches it's to share habitats. No one's asking you to give up your patches, just to give a little hint to others about where they might find their OWN patches.

For instance, just give a whole number degree. That's about a two-county radius, but if you also describe the setting, people will be able to find similar patches for themselves.

-Seiko
EDIT: I overestimated the size of a degree

--------------------

Edited by Seiko (07/27/03 02:58 PM)

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1753367 - 07/27/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Seiko! 

I think MUSHFind is a great idea!  I checked out the Alpha version and submitted the location and date of three choice edibles I've found.  When I did a search for the latitude and longitude I entered, though, it said no matches were found.  What's up with that?

Anyway...  I think having a database like the one you've created is very useful for many reasons.  Awesome job, and keep up the great work! :smile:

Peace,

RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

Re: Mushroom Hunting Database [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1753504 - 07/27/03 04:19 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, you've found the first bug, I guess.  :smile:

I'll look into that.

-Seiko 

EDIT: Fixed it.  I forgot to select the DB in the search page...duh...

--------------------

Edited by Seiko (07/27/03 04:30 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1753542 - 07/27/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yay, i get credit :grin:.

--------------------

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

#1753578 - 07/27/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone that helps enough for me to notice gets credit. And of course, all contributors to the DB are listed.

-Seiko

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1753607 - 07/27/03 05:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

when i entered an A. campestris find from last years notes and querried the database all i got was three entries from 41.5205 N, 80.0573 W.

does the querry function search coordinates within a tolerance?

BTW, might it be possible to allow the entry of ranges in the long/lat fields?

--------------------

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

#1753667 - 07/27/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Somehow, that record was lost...Hmmm...Let me look that over.  A bug report form would probably we worth writing.  :smile:

Did you get the little Thank You alert?

-Seiko
--EDIT--
I've improved the error logging on MUSHFind Tremendously, so I should be able to
manually repair input errors now.  Please re-enter those data that didn't work, and I'll probably be able to fix it all up.

Thanks for the patience everybody.  I wrote this from scratch, so there will be kinks.
--END EDIT--

--------------------

Edited by Seiko (07/27/03 05:37 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1753689 - 07/27/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i'll re-enter that report.

btw, i like the database so far :grin:.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1754275 - 07/27/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

This is probably more than you were intending to do at first, but I would be more interested in something like this site. I suspect that most people would prefer some sort of map that could be somewhat zoomed in on for both data entry and results. (I notice you suggested something like this - I just wanted to supply an example).

I think it's likely to be important that selection from the database also allows for selection by date range.

I foresee two immediate applications for a database like this:

1. Look up the geographic range of a species of mushroom (might somebody want to search by genus?).
2. Look up what mushrooms are/have been coming up around a certain date in an area.

I mention this because that should help you in interface design.

Overall, an interesting project. Keep us posted as you make improvements.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSeiko
Myco Neophyte

Re: Mushroom Hunting Database [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1754359 - 07/27/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hi,

I'm glad you supplied that example. It's EXACTLY what I had in mind, except I was thinking of shading a general area rather than push-pinning. MUSHFind, you must remember, now is only one afternoon's work old. I'm already looking into lookups (odd sentence). If I can find some kind of mapquest.com style engine that I won't be violating any licenses to use and preferably that we can superimpose lat/long grid lines onto, I'll hook all that graphical map stuff up. I'd REALLY like to have that working. Generating coverage pics on the fly is a good eventual goal.

-Seiko

PS Thanks for the interest guys. If we all pool our experience and creativity, this'll be a really useful resource.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag