Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |  [ show all ]
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #17375650 -

Quickly! We need to write to Congress! They have a good record of getting stuff done for the people! They'll have this thing fixed in a jiffy!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: ClaudeRains]
    #17375659 -

The Ministry of Love will get right on it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #17375704 -

:tinfoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #17375936 -

Gilgamesh18 said:
The US minimum wage actually hurts the working class :eek:



the numbers say otherwise


--------------------
Think for yourself, question authority

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: psyconaught]
    #17376232 -

psyconaught said:
Gilgamesh18 said:
The US minimum wage actually hurts the working class :eek:



the numbers say otherwise



the numbers are derived differently, its a science experiment without proper controls.

If you want a clearer picture you have to take all the factors into account.


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Shins]
    #17376261 -

Shins said:
psyconaught said:
Gilgamesh18 said:
The US minimum wage actually hurts the working class :eek:



the numbers say otherwise



the numbers are derived differently, its a science experiment without proper controls.

If you want a clearer picture you have to take all the factors into account.



did you even read the source? they're pretty damn thorough. and as soon as you develop and execute a better study than the world bank i'll start taking your criticizms of it seriously


--------------------
Think for yourself, question authority

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: psyconaught]
    #17376270 -

to no one in particular: does the minimum wage often come with sustenance and housing assistance? Is that cost allayed through the collective wealthy entrepreneurial tax base?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: psyconaught]
    #17376444 -

psyconaught said:
Gilgamesh18 said:
The US minimum wage actually hurts the working class :eek:



the numbers say otherwise



Ive talked to small business owners minimum wage prevents them from hiring more labor.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: ClaudeRains]
    #17376852 -

ClaudeRains said:
viktor said:
Average unemployment rates, 2010:

USA: 9.6%
Australia (minimum wage is twice as high): 5.2%
Norway (socialist hellhole): 3.6%

Source: World Bank data

Bit weird, that, isn't it?



Are you telling me that the US minimum wage system is incapable of fulfilling the basic needs of the working class?





Well, this is known by everyone except for the US working class, who sadly, have been fooled into supporting the interest of their corporate masters.


--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #17376875 -

Gilgamesh18 said:
Ive talked to small business owners minimum wage prevents them from hiring more labor.



So, although your basic assumption re: minimum wage laws and unemployment was proven to be conclusively incorrect and in fact the opposite of reality, you continue to make it.

I have a suggestion: that the small business owners met you and saw an opportunity to sucker someone into cheerleading for them by telling them something that was not true but, if widely repeated, might benefit them.


--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Statisticons_win]
    #17376899 -

Statisticons_win said:
to no one in particular: does the minimum wage often come with sustenance and housing assistance? Is that cost allayed through the collective wealthy entrepreneurial tax base?



In the USA it often does.

Pretty much every other Western country has learned that if you screw the working class beyond a certain point, the whole country loses.


--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: viktor]
    #17389530 -

The capitalist libertarian is an American oxymoron.


--------------------
Workers of Shroomery Unite!

Warning: Everything I say is possibly a work of fiction.
Fuck you NSA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Smokey420]
    #17389924 -

It seems to my addled worldview the levels of mercy, compassion and those qualities relationship to living standard is at question, that and the psychological operation against proletarian despair. Minimum wage is an attempt to wage "war" against the psychological roots of desperation. It is a tax to keep poor people sort of sound, but in great standards of living and minimal production


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Statisticons_win]
    #17416086 -

Um, isnt one of the first things people learn in economics is that minimum wage raises unemployment?  Then again, judging by viktors earlier post, paying attention is quite the problem for him.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: demon6fire]
    #17416111 -

demon6fire said:
Um, isnt one of the first things people learn in economics is that minimum wage raises unemployment?  Then again, judging by viktors earlier post, paying attention is quite the problem for him.



Seems to be a problem for a lot of socialists :rofl:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: demon6fire]
    #17417111 -

demon6fire said:
Um, isnt one of the first things people learn in economics is that minimum wage raises unemployment?



No.  The only empirical evidence of a correlation between an increase in minimum wage and the unemployment rate is a temporary one for teenagers.

It's not necessarily a bad thing when people to have more money to spend.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #17417504 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
demon6fire said:
Um, isnt one of the first things people learn in economics is that minimum wage raises unemployment?



No.  The only empirical evidence of a correlation between an increase in minimum wage and the unemployment rate is a temporary one for teenagers.

It's not necessarily a bad thing when people to have more money to spend.



no one is denying this but small businesses generally have large over heads and having too many employees that get paid too much can ruin a business if they can't keep up with sales. Generally not dis agreeing that the more people get paid the more money they have to spend. If people had a lot of money then obviously businesses would be in better shape, without people and money then businesses can't compete with larger businesses and their sales drop. If a guy doesn't get enough money on his pay check he won't go out and spend at restaurants and buy dvd's etc.

Personally I hate low minimum wage as corporations use it as an excuse to keep low over head other wise they hike the prices on their product line. This has never been proven as being necessary to a large corp as much as it is to a small business. The fact is they want to keep their same profit and therefore don't like paying employees and if they are forced to pay more they will raise prices whether they need to or not. Supply and demand determine prices, not saying that over head doesn't also. But if there is a high demand, and low supply, prices will surely go up. It hurts the economy in the long run to inflate things un evenly as if a car goes up a house goes up if a house goes up a car goes up but all in all this doesn't necessarily mean the price of a candy bar will go up.

Make no mistake though, for a small business model, a minimum wage can RAPE the revenue of things necessary to keep sales, such as marketing etc. etc. I think a minimum wage hurts things and if they removed it people would compete for employees, maybe a janitor will never be SUCH a competitive job, but then again without a minimum wage a janitor for a Ritz Carlton that mops a marble floor will still be regarded as a higher skilled janitor as he manages a more expensive floor. This gives a reason for everyone to compete to pay employees more. Smaller businesses on the other hand would pay less since the skill level required would be less. Is this a good thing?

Well in the current economic environment it's not like small businesses have an easy time competing. It's not as though things would be much tougher a small business would pay less and also should charge less for product or service to match the competition. If they invest more in marketing and make higher profits they can afford to invest more and grow the business. Either way I can't see how minimum wage does anything but prevent ABSOLUTE corruption. It does that, to a degree. It prevents ABSOLUTE corruption that you see in 3rd world countries like China that employs people in sweat shops. But really, isn't there another way?


--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #17418529 -

Gilgamesh18 said:
demon6fire said:
Um, isnt one of the first things people learn in economics is that minimum wage raises unemployment?  Then again, judging by viktors earlier post, paying attention is quite the problem for him.



Seems to be a problem for a lot of socialists :rofl:



Can you explain how your belief that countries with a lower minimum wage have lower unemployment turned out to be the exact opposite of what is the case in reality?

Because anyone reading this thread and seeing you claim something that is the opposite of the truth will be suspicious about everything else you say.


--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: demon6fire]
    #17418542 -

demon6fire said:
Um, isnt one of the first things people learn in economics is that minimum wage raises unemployment?  Then again, judging by viktors earlier post, paying attention is quite the problem for him.



Um, doesn't anyone with an advanced education in anything usually learn that the basics they were taught in first year are oversimplifications and therefore represent a gap between theory and reality?

It seems like you're admitting that your economics education never went past the most basic level - is this correct?


--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I cant stand Libertarians.... [Re: viktor]
    #17454872 -

viktor said:
demon6fire said:
Um, isnt one of the first things people learn in economics is that minimum wage raises unemployment?  Then again, judging by viktors earlier post, paying attention is quite the problem for him.



Um, doesn't anyone with an advanced education in anything usually learn that the basics they were taught in first year are oversimplifications and therefore represent a gap between theory and reality?

It seems like you're admitting that your economics education never went past the most basic level - is this correct?



No, it means unlike you, I can think critically of the theories of why minimum wage are beneficial and realize they are bullshit and only cover a few industries in specific situations.  But then again, as seen by your posts, its not worth debating with you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* libertarianism
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
domite 12,841 131 09/23/03 03:26 PM
by Autonomous
* Positive & Negative Liberties in Three Dimensions lonestar2004 1,186 5 06/20/05 09:32 PM
by Phred
* Questions about libertarians DigitalDuality 1,833 13 09/18/04 05:44 AM
by luvdemshrooms
* Libertarians & Corporations Autonomous 787 6 05/11/05 10:38 AM
by Autonomous
* Minimum Wage Revisited
( 1 2 all )
Evolving 4,497 33 04/15/04 12:49 PM
by Tao
* foundation of libertarianism followed to it's logical conclusion = anarchy
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 4,988 45 10/12/04 02:27 PM
by Anonymous
* For libertarians: A message of hope Silversoul 1,065 2 07/07/05 12:02 PM
by Redstorm
* A couple of questions on the minimum wage
( 1 2 all )
Evolving 3,665 29 10/21/03 03:40 PM
by Evolving

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
9,422 topic views. 3 members, 1 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.045 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.