Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: libertarianism [Re: ]
    #1925171 - 09/17/03 01:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I see the point. I don't know if this reduction in the price of goods would actually happen though. Just because a company can make something cheaper does not mean they will sell it cheaper.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: libertarianism [Re: shakta]
    #1925198 - 09/17/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Just because a company can make something cheaper does not mean they will sell it cheaper.

generally, yes, it does, provided that there is free competition and other companies can make it cheaper as well.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1925202 - 09/17/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

So in this libertarian society, would there still be protections against monopolies and such? What about price fixing?

Anonymous

#1925210 - 09/17/03 01:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

no.

here's a good thread on that subject:

monopolies

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
    #1925214 - 09/17/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

But during the time right after the industrial revolution, the factory workers made goods that were not sold to them, just exported, or sold to higer class people, as I could see happening if we had no minimum wage too. Also if there are little to no immigration laws, like the liberatarian party calls for, then there will very possibly be a huge amount of possible labor, wich could lead to mass unenployment. In the other side of this argument, money is already worth a certain amount right now, I doubt most employers are going to say:

"oh , by the way, bob, you are now being paid $0.3 an hour"
but it could be a possiblity in the lowest paying jobs that require the least amount of skill, particularyly if there is alot of immagration...

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: libertarianism [Re: domite]
    #1925235 - 09/17/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No immigration laws? That sucks.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1925263 - 09/17/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
I see the point. I don't know if this reduction in the price of goods would actually happen though. Just because a company can make something cheaper does not mean they will sell it cheaper.

They will if they wish to stay in business.

Think about how many cars are sold each year. If the wages go down as far as the "gloom and doomers" seem to think, how many cars will be sold? How many TV's? Stereos? Shoes?

Minimum wages have done little but fuck us.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1925558 - 09/17/03 03:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Say you owned a business producing tea cosies which u sold for $10 a throw. Would you feel right paying the people who made them 20cents and hour just because you could get away with it? Wouldnt you feel like you were exploiting them just a little bit?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: libertarianism [Re: GazzBut]
    #1925572 - 09/17/03 03:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Depends.

What is the cost of materials?
How long does it take to make one?
Do they sell at $10 or are they just sitting on the shelf?
What is the cost of benefits?
Shipping costs?
Property taxes?
Insurance?
Business taxes?
Personal income taxes?
Do you have stock-holders who expect dividends?
Salesmans commisions?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: libertarianism [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1925580 - 09/17/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well Id say if the answers to those questions dictated that you could only pay your workers 20 cent an hour then you wouldnt be able to be in business.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1925587 - 09/17/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Well Id say if the answers to those questions dictated that you could only pay your workers 20 cent an hour then you wouldnt be able to be in business.

Why assume that? Perhaps after all that you're still making a profit for yourself of 40 cents per hour.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1927892 - 09/18/03 03:33 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It was a simple question with no need for you to be so obstrcutive! Besides I was asking Mushmaster anyway.  :smirk: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1927960 - 09/18/03 03:56 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
It was a simple question with no need for you to be so obstrcutive!

Yes, it was a simple question. And the word is instructive.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1927983 - 09/18/03 04:08 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Lol! thats a good one. Still havent answered my simple question though.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1928014 - 09/18/03 04:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Actually.... I did.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1928029 - 09/18/03 04:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You most deinitely did not. How old are you Luvvie? Is it possible senility has begun to set in?  :grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineseraphim
pugilist andstamp licker

Loc: brooklyn, ny
Re: libertarianism [Re: domite]
    #1928307 - 09/18/03 07:02 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have been toying with some libertarian ideas lately, too.
One of the things that make it hard for me to jump into is that a lot of libertarians seem to come from a right wing background, the opposite of mine.
That being said, there is a lot of interesting ideas in it. Try looking at reason magazine's website for some online info and updated news and a discussion permitted weblog.
Some of the questions I have are - what about basic regulations, like the FDA preventing (trying to, anyway)poison from being in my food - would a libertarian society not have that regulation and leave any offense like that in the hands of the consumer, so that they'd have to sue?
It's difficult to imagine a truly libertarian world beacuse we have never had one, and people have never had to act in the ways they could.

--------------------
trying to lose the monkey mind a little bit

Anonymous

Re: libertarianism [Re: seraphim]
    #1928329 - 09/18/03 07:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have been toying with some libertarian ideas lately, too.
One of the things that make it hard for me to jump into is that a lot of libertarians seem to come from a right wing background, the opposite of mine.

it's never a good idea to keep old beliefs simply because they're old beliefs. how long you've held a certain opinion, and how tightly you've held it, are not indicators of its validity. sadly, many people seem to act like they are.

Some of the questions I have are - what about basic regulations, like the FDA preventing (trying to, anyway)poison from being in my food - would a libertarian society not have that regulation and leave any offense like that in the hands of the consumer, so that they'd have to sue?

if someone poisons you, or unduly places you in danger of being poisoned, they've initiated force against you. certain safety regulations are permitted in a libertarian society (actually, they MUST be enforced). i think that when you buy food or drugs, it's implied by the manufacturer that it's safe to consume. if they are neglectful and their product is dangerous, i think that they're violating a consensual agreement, and should be held responsible. there may be other libertarians that say otherwise though.

It's difficult to imagine a truly libertarian world beacuse we have never had one

we were pretty close to it in the early days of our nation's history.

people have never had to act in the ways they could.

?

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1928337 - 09/18/03 07:31 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You didnt answer the question I asked you.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Anonymous

#1928362 - 09/18/03 07:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

which one?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals