Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: Headphones [Re: GrimTroll]
    #17388757 -

Yeah as i was walking home from work i realized i was being a dick.  I can see how once you get used to a certain level of quality in the upper range, it would be hard to listen to things otherwise.

I thought of this metaphor, to me the sacrifice of low end for the sake of the ups is like getting a delicious pizza but 1/3 of it is burnt, vs a more full range headphone thats not particularly clear would be like getting a mediocre pizza but its not burnt.

ya know what i mean?  like i don't give a shit about the quality of a pizza i just want to eat it.  Other people might care more about the taste than quantity or a blemished part they can eat around.

the only thing i would take issue with is the idea 600$ headphones can match 1200$ speakers, 600$ headphones can't match 200$ speakers.
that kind of makes me raise my eyebrow and go back to considering this some sort of headfi brainwashing.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: Galidor4]
    #17388827 -

Galidor4 said:
Hokay so,

I'm looking into buying a pair of 'overear' headphones and I was looking for some suggestions. I don't wanna spend over $100-150 preferably, what is your recommendation?





Must be nice to have that kind of money to spend on headphones. :frown:

I'm currently in the market for something in the...oh say... less than $20 range. :lol:

Surprisingly, I've occasionally found some fairly respectable ones ranging from $15 to $25. My last pair of Philips $25 headphones were not only nicer-sounding, but far outlasted the rather expensive Sony pair that I bought before them.

I'm not sure I've even ever tried $100+ dollar headphones. And at this point, I'm not sure I want to know what I may or may not be missing. haha


--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: teamkiller]
    #17388929 -

teamkiller said:
Yeah as i was walking home from work i realized i was being a dick.  I can see how once you get used to a certain level of quality in the upper range, it would be hard to listen to things otherwise.

I thought of this metaphor, to me the sacrifice of low end for the sake of the ups is like getting a delicious pizza but 1/3 of it is burnt, vs a more full range headphone thats not particularly clear would be like getting a mediocre pizza but its not burnt.

ya know what i mean?  like i don't give a shit about the quality of a pizza i just want to eat it.  Other people might care more about the taste than quantity or a blemished part they can eat around.

the only thing i would take issue with is the idea 600$ headphones can match 1200$ speakers, 600$ headphones can't match 200$ speakers.
that kind of makes me raise my eyebrow and go back to considering this some sort of headfi brainwashing.




Obviously not matching it in experience as much as... level of detail, you still do not GET IT (performance), but man, it is pretty friggen close, there are some albums that sound SOOOO good on these headphones, you'd swear you're standing in a room, with it surrounding you - no joke.

It can be pretty surreal at times, I didnt just spend $600 cause I have it to burn, I saved because I knew.

And on psychedelics, it is truely unreal. haha.


--------------------
Now pick me up night and whirlwind and let me ride with you to peace of mind and nothing to rebel...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: GrimTroll]
    #17389700 -

Sound staging on headphones will never match similarly priced speakers. Good speakers blow out comparably good headphones every single time.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: jewunit]
    #17389819 -

In my experience you need to spend about 2x as much on speakers to get comparable sound quality to headphones... But I definitely like listening on speakers more.


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: twighead]
    #17390414 -

Yeah I guess "similarly priced" was a poor way to phrase that.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: teamkiller]
    #17390473 -

These are pretty damn good for 65 bucks. Ill get laughed at. But I've always liked them and they have a lifetime replaceable warranty. Which is awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-SCS-SCBP3-5-Skullcrushers-Subwoofer-Headphones/dp/B000OYFOVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355500041&sr=1-1&keywords=skullcandy+skullcrushers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: jewunit]
    #17390544 -

Yeah I much prefer listening on speakers too, but with neighbours, sometimes headphones is the correct option.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #17391818 -

I do not think anyone is going to argue they prefer listening to a loudspeaker system... but this a discussion about headphones, why are we discussing preference on speakers?

I can not take my loudspeaker system out for a walk.

Apples and Oranges folks!


--------------------
Now pick me up night and whirlwind and let me ride with you to peace of mind and nothing to rebel...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: GrimTroll]
    #17391879 -

I brought speakers into the discussion because speakers generally don't have much trouble with coloration vs headphones, lol its funny to me how differently weall hear things.  I'm under the impression the great speaker battle has to do with dispersion and the associated imaging problems. 

when I make music stereo image is my biggest fascination.  to get a wide image that translates across most systems is kind of the hallmark of mastership I think as far as a mix down goes.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: teamkiller]
    #17391915 -

I think 200 dollar speakers and 100 dollar headphones can be plunty satisfying when listening to "good music." Idk just seems excessive to spend 600 dollars and headphones. But I can't talk I have my pricey hobbies as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: i like cow poo]
    #17408268 -

i like cow poo said:
But I can't talk I have my pricey hobbies as well.





And Amen.


--------------------
Now pick me up night and whirlwind and let me ride with you to peace of mind and nothing to rebel...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: i like cow poo]
    #17408599 -

i like cow poo said:
I think 200 dollar speakers



I... am just gonna leave that alone.
But the next speakers I buy will need another zero, maybe more, tacked onto that price.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: abltsandwich]
    #17411103 -

abltsandwich said:
i like cow poo said:
I think 200 dollar speakers



I... am just gonna leave that alone.
But the next speakers I buy will need another zero, maybe more, tacked onto that price.



Yeah... $200 for speakers gets you very little.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #17411113 -

This thread, amazon.com reviews & the youtubes has me convinced I am in need of the ath-m50 immediately


--------------------
*
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: Shroomopotamus]
    #17411165 -

Shroomopotamus said:
This thread, amazon.com reviews & the youtubes has me convinced I am in need of the ath-m50 immediately



They're really awesome headphones.  You will not be disappointed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: Shroomopotamus]
    #17411199 -

ive have the AKG k-240 and the sony mdr-7506 (at around $100.00),...the AKG's are too flat sounding imho,...the sony mdr 7506 have more hyped frequencies but not in a bad way i always thought the sony's were great 'until' a friend had me listen to a pait of bose headphones ,...they sounded awesome,...i dont remember the model # on them tho.
the one drawback to closed ear type headphones ,...imho is that if its hot outside it can get all sweaty and gross around the foam  surround around the ear,...


--------------------
MUSIC / ART / CREATIVITY (its what i LoVe)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Headphones [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #17411205 -

pwnasaurus said:
Shroomopotamus said:
This thread, amazon.com reviews & the youtubes has me convinced I am in need of the ath-m50 immediately



They're really awesome headphones.  You will not be disappointed.



I don't think many headphones would be a disappointment to me :lol:
I have never had headphones that were more than about $50 & as of lately I have been stuck with in-ear ipod type-a headphones so I am very excited to get it.
Just gotta decide wether to get the limited edition ones or not...


--------------------
*
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Around Ear headphones wicket 986 12 06/04/10 03:21 AM
by Janamil
* are dre beats the best headphones out there?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
yoimjohn 8,189 107 11/04/11 04:49 PM
by teamkiller
* Post your headphones!
( 1 2 3 4 all )
schwarg 3,812 64 11/21/12 05:24 AM
by agentg
* Best Type of Headphones?
( 1 2 3 all )
vitadura 6,466 55 06/27/09 07:16 PM
by joe Biggs
* Headphones?
( 1 2 all )
Sinistral 2,771 35 03/21/06 06:55 PM
by Vvellum
* headphone reccomendations?
( 1 2 3 all )
Tcm19277 2,772 47 07/25/10 02:05 PM
by islanduniverse
* Infrasound - Low Frequency Sounds & Effects on Humans
( 1 2 all )
Platinum 5,040 28 11/11/08 09:38 PM
by PhanTomCat
* Headphones
( 1 2 3 4 all )
tpihkal 3,977 60 10/01/09 01:44 AM
by teaparty

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,631 topic views. 4 members, 11 guests and 112 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 15 queries.