Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: Yoschie99]
    #7766874 - 12/16/07 07:03 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Yoschie99 said:
no, i don't wear them when i spin, though I've thought about it... I think mainly because i tend to forget i have headphones on and try to walk somewhere.. so, the coiled cord of dj headphones comes in handy. 

I still use my original pare of stanton headphones to dj.. they've lost very little quality over time.  I did ask for a pair of the dj1000s by pioneer for x-mas, so we'll see if i'll be changing.

yos-

i always felt like the dj1000's were too bass heavy.  this can be good if you're trying to just match beats, but when you can't hear your mids or highs properly it makes mixing and blending a total bitch.  But that's just me, i know a few dj friends who swear by em.

I guess my main problem with using earbuds to spin would be losing the ability to flip a can off the ear real quick to hear how the mix is sounding on the floor, or to drop both off completely and mix using the monitors.  I've gotten so used to playing like that i dont think i could do it any other way :wink:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCaptainKirk

Loc: gone
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: Yoschie99]
    #7766880 - 12/16/07 07:04 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Yoschie99 said:
i prefer the shure in-ears. 

but, for the over the ear variety.. seinheiser are a good choice... pioneer makes a couple nice ones, too.

:smile:

yos-

i just picked up a set of these..and they sound hella nice..i got the se210's ..kinda pricey but worth it ..very comfortable and easy to forget there on :wink:

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: coda]
    #7766890 - 12/16/07 07:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i can never get them to actually stick for any more than 10 to 15 minutes before they pop out again. i once got them to stay in for about and hour (it wasn't very comfortable either) but as soon as i turned my moved my head more than just a little bit they popped out again. :frown:

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #7766902 - 12/16/07 07:10 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yah, i know that, when i tried em again last year after getting a set with my mp3 player i had to put them back in every 10 or so steps.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

InvisiblepB0t
I'm a teapot

Re: Best Type of Headphones? *DELETED* [Re: Drewwyann]
    #7766987 - 12/16/07 07:27 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by pB0t

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleCaptainKirk

Loc: gone
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: pB0t]
    #7767007 - 12/16/07 07:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

:yesnod:  that why i run lossless  wma's on my toshiba 30gig

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: vitadura]
    #7767040 - 12/16/07 07:42 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I had two pair of JVC HA-D810's f for around 12 years. They were awesome! Of course, time and abuse took their toll on 'em and naturally, they were discontinued.

I listened to over 38 pairs of headphones trying to find a pair that would rival the accuracy of the JVC HA-D810's... I listened to everything you could name, including several pairs of Sennheisers ranging from $70 to $600 a pair.

Finally, I tried THESE!!!

I bought 3 pairs of 'em!!!

They are without a doubt, the best headphones I've ever heard! Not just for DJ's!! They are serious audiophile headphones!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Offlinemorphius2661
Basic Psychonaut
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NC
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: Drewwyann]
    #7767065 - 12/16/07 07:48 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Drewwyann said:
just a side question, does anyone know if mp3 players will play flac? Probably the dumbest question on earth...

Because since I'm getting nicer headphones, it only makes sense that I would get a more detail intensive format.

Check out rockbox, it's a mod for a bunch of diff mp3 players, depending on what you have. I know they have support for the Ipod up to at least 5.5 (what I have) and it'll play FLACs. Rockbox.org I think is their website, if not, google. It's free and open source.

edit: oh yeah, and I use sennheiser px250 (I think it's px). They sound really good for being 50 dollar headphones, the px100 are heavier in the bass though, but theyh're also open so people around you can hear what you're listening to (I didnt get those because I wear them on planes all the time). But, I would recommend them for being < $100 headphones.

--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the estabilished authorities are wrong."

Edited by morphius2661 (12/16/07 07:50 PM)

InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: morphius2661]
    #7767904 - 12/16/07 11:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I have a pair of Grado SR-80. These cans are "open" meaning they have holes in the casing on the back of the driver. Since these are open you can hear outside noises and your music will be heard by others although quietly. These are easily driven by a portable device so an mp3 player would still sound good. This type of headphone is great for rock, acoustic music and voices. The bass is there but if you listen to trance or hip hop you may want to try a closed headphone.

My closed headphone is a Beyerdynamic DT-770 . These are great for trance and have the most bass out of any headphone I've heard. It isn't bloated crappy bass like the sony dj headphones either. These truly rattle my head with some songs. The Beyers however have a higher ohm rating so they need to be plugged into my receiver to sound good. They are super comfy with velour earcups that go completely around your ears.

I used to own a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. These were sealed and sealed out pretty much ALL outside noise. These sounded good for the money but I gave them to a friend when I got my Beyers.

I would definitely check out Head-Fi.org. You will find tons of information and comparisons there.

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

OfflineOneWhoHasSeen
Temporal Anomaly
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: jewunit]
    #7771050 - 12/17/07 07:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Vitadura!

Well, I did a lot of research into headphones just recently, I really feel that two Sennheiser headphones really take prize for being the best in the less then $100 dollar price range.  The first is the Sennheiser Eh 350 monitor headphones.  They are open ear monitor headphones that will give you the best balance of sound quality and they cost about $50 bucks online.  I did a review on them which I will post below...

Also, take a look at the Sennheiser HD 280s as well.  Their MSRP is $200 dollars and they are currently selling for less then $100 online, what a deal!  They are closed ear headphones that will probably be a lot more comfy then the 350s but will be a bit larger.  Read some tech reviews or customer reviews if you want to know more about them.

In my opinion, those are the best two headphones you can buy for good money.  I went with the 350s, mostly because they were less expensive and had slightly better bass response.

Sennheiser EH 350 review:
"Well, it took me a week of researching customer and tech reviews, but I finally settled on the Sennheiser EH 350s and I have been exceptionally happy with my choice.

The primary point of purchasing new headphones is because I play a bass guitar and I wanted a pair in order to hear the nuances of the music I am playing.  Also, I own a couple MP3 players and I wanted some headphones to use with them as well.

The first pair I bought, just willy-nilly really, was the Skullcandy Skullcrusher “subwoofer” headphones.  Big mistake, it was the worst $45 I ever spent.  Their mids and highs were lackluster, and the so-called “bass” was really just vibration with little really true bass frequency.  Sure I could “feel” the vibration of the bass, but it was impossible to pick out individual notes because it drowned everything out.  Then my dog chewed them up because he was disgusted as I was, and although I share his enthusiasm I was sad to see I couldn’t return them :smile:

Anyway, the EH 350 is like night and day with the Skullcandy’s.  The Sennheiser’s really try to reproduce the original studio sound, hence why they are called monitor headphones, and they do an excellent job of it.  The sound is flat, as the sound is not artificially boosted, which also means that music that comes out of it will sound slightly quiet.  But I found that if I just jack up the volume on my preamp or mp3 player the sound comes out strong and loud.  I use a 30GB Zune, and it has plenty of power to blast out a sound that is just tolerable at highest volume.  This is good because some headphones out there have troubles producing a good volume with mobile devices.  Now onto the sound quality.

The mids and especially the highs are very well defined with these headphones.  They shine through with exceptional quality and precision, and although the highs are a bit stronger they actually balance well with each other.  The highs were a little too high upon first purchase, but after a couple days it mellowed out nicely without losing any of the previous power.  After only a two hour burn in, you will notice an appreciable improvement in sound quality.  I am excited to think how these will feel a month from now.

Of course, I really bought them for the bass.  Upon first purchase the bass was a little too quiet for me, or perhaps it might be better to say that the highs drowned it out too much.  Actually I think it was a mix of both, but now that a few days have passed the bass has become excellent.  Some reviews listed this product had a bass that was slightly too quiet.  The fact is, that is how bass usually sounds in the studio.  The key with bass is that you train your ear to hear it, rather then just try to buy headphones that artificially boost the bass.  If you want to hear a tight, true bass sound that has the power to blow your mind away, go out and buy a pair of $1000 dollar monitor speakers and feel the love.  Otherwise, you wont be able to beat the well balanced richness of the EH 350's bass.

The end effect?  Although the sound of monitor headphones can tend to be flat, the EH 350 sound comes out exceptionally well balanced.  Although I couldn’t call them “golden with richness”, they will however produce a sound that is so accurate to original studio that you will pick up hidden nuances and stylizations that you will have never heard before.  With these headphones, you can hear each of the individual instruments and voices of your favorite music instead of them all muddled together like other headphones who might sound more rich.  I would
highly recommend these headphones to any musicians who are looking for monitor headphones on a budget but who don’t want to sacrifice sound quality.  I also recommend these headphones to anyone who has ever wanted to play an instrument or sing, these headphones make it easy to tune your ear to individual instruments and puts forth and incredibly accurate note and pitch.

Note however that the EH 350s, like most monitor headphones, are open ear.  That means that sound is allowed to pass freely out of the headphones.  This allows the sound to extend past the headphones and makes it so that the shape of the headphone cup does not distort the sound like a lot of closed-ear headphones will do, and it has the additional benefit of keeping airflow within the cups, so your ears never sweat or become uncomfortable.  On the other hand, although the EH 350s are pretty good at keeping at least moderate noise levels out, other people around will be able to hear what you are listening, especially in quiet or small quarters.  These might not be the best headphones for you if you are wanting to take them on the bus or be in crowds.  Some headphones are large and noticeable.  I have noticed that the Sennheiser’s are small and stylish enough to at least go largely unnoticed, but I wouldn’t call them attractive.

But how do they fit?  It is true that Sennheiser’s are slightly tight as many reviewers have stated.  But this is how they are designed.  I am a male with a reasonably sized head.  I wont say I have the biggest head out there, but I have been known to have a sizeable noggin.  Although the EH 350s sit tight, they do not sit uncomfortably so.  In fact, the tight fit is actually a necessity to the open ear system of the headphones and improves sound quality, and as I stated previously this makes them able to reasonably block out moderate external sounds without losing the benefit of open ear headphones.  They also are slightly too bulky to take jogging and undoubtably would be uncomfortable if you took them running with you.

One other point before I move on, the cups on these headphones are slightly small.  I would say I have slightly smaller then average sized ears for a man and they go around my ear and sit on my skull, but people with large ears might find the cushions lying on the ears instead of around them.  It is also very important to note that the leather cushion on the top of the headphones should rest firmly upon the top of your head as to hold some of the weight.  If you over adjust these headphones the weight will fall on the cups and your ears will begin to rest on the hard plastic within.  After about an hour, this will cause discomfort.  This is, of course, easily alleviated by simply properly adjusting them to fit your head.

What about value?  At prices well under $100 dollars, these headphones are easily worth twice their price.  I don’t think any headphones at any price will be able to beat the 350s precision.  You will have to begin looking at the $200 dollar price range if you want headphones that will have the precision of the 350s and have a more full bodied richness.  I hear the 595s might be what your looking for if you have dough to spend.

Overall, the Sennheiser EH 350s get a five star, 9 out of 10.  With a perfect balance of precision and value, you can’t beat these headphones if you have less then a hundred dollars to spend.

Oh, and thankfully, my dog has decided to spare these headphones... for now..."

--------------------
A Temporal Anomaly

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: vitadura]
    #7771094 - 12/17/07 07:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Senheisers have always been good to me. Excellent crisp quality, Wonderful range of sound, comfortable on the ears after hours of listening (that one is very important) and durable.

There are lots of quality headphones out there, I don't think any particular brand is better than any other/
One thing that is true though, is that if you want some serious decent headphones expect to pay at least $75-100.. with some of the higher-end ones running around $250+.

Don't ever buy Logitech headphones or headsets, they are absolute trash.

--------------------

OfflineLiquid_Dimension
Lighthousekeeper
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Radioactive state
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: Shroomism]
    #7771104 - 12/17/07 07:29 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Which sennheiser headphones are great for mp3 players and also PC with some good bass?

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: Liquid_Dimension]
    #7771132 - 12/17/07 07:35 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I have these
For the past year or so, I use them primarilly for gaming but also listening to music.. they are excellent. Not the "top of the line" by any means, but they get the job done for me. I didn't really feel to need to spend an extra 100 bucks for something marginally better.

Ahh.. but you said mp3 player.. and those are usb. Something like this or this might be good for your purposes. Just shop around and look for ones in your price range and make sure to read reviews.

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (12/17/07 07:40 PM)

OfflineOneWhoHasSeen
Temporal Anomaly
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #7771411 - 12/17/07 08:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Liquid_Dimension said:
Which sennheiser headphones are great for mp3 players and also PC with some good bass?

Well, you have to define what "good bass" is.

You see, there are two different types of bass. There is vibrational bass (subwoofer bass) and true bass.

You know vibrational bass because you can physically FEEL the bass. The vibrations will fill your skull and have a good deal of volume. This kind of bass is great for beats, like drums, techno, rap, and hip-hop. However, bass like this has little real bass SOUND, more just the vibrations of the bass. So if you want to pick out the bass guitar in a band, this kind of bass response is not for you. It does have a tendency to drown out the sounds of highs and mids as well (of course, this matters little in most rap type music). Headphones with good vibrational bass are Sennheiser HD 212 and Skullcandy Skullcrushers.

Now, true bass is the actual sound that bass produces but without the vibration of it. This is a great way to pick out the bass guitar in a band, or hear the intricacies of a stand-up bass in a quartet. However, the BOOM BOOM is missing so if you are the kind of person who loves ground shattering bass, this is not the kind of bass response for you. My Sennheiser EH 350s are some of the best headphones for this kind of response IMO.

But the 350s are monitor headphones, meaning that none of the sound is artificially amplified but rather balanced together. So despite its good bass response, it wont overcome the highs and mids of the rest of the music. Some say that these kinds of headphones sound “flat” because of this, but you will pick up details in your music that you never heard before because they are designed to reproduce the original studio sound.

Right now there are a lot of Sennheiser headphones that are on sale well under MSRP, a lot of them more then 50% off. This is a great time to pick up some good headphones without breaking the bank. Check out amazon.com and newegg.com for some of the best prices on the web.

--------------------
A Temporal Anomaly

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#7771487 - 12/17/07 08:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Liquid_Dimension said:

Go with the HD 25 SP from sennie. Priced around 100-125 bucks, and sound almost has good as the HD 280's. Plus they have a really long cord which makes it great for gaming if you plug your headset in the back of your PC, i like it for spinning because i don't have to take off my cans to get a record.

--------------------

-JG

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

#7771798 - 12/17/07 09:38 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

if i ever use them other then that i use my comp wired to the stereo, or car

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: SheerTerror]
    #7771839 - 12/17/07 09:45 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup: with the computer

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Best Type of Headphones? [Re: SheerTerror]
    #7771992 - 12/17/07 10:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

sennies blow the mdr's out of the water, there's no comparison, and the HD 25's are priced just the same with quality that's 10x better then sony's cans.

--------------------

-JG

OfflineLiquid_Dimension
Lighthousekeeper
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Radioactive state
    #7772012 - 12/17/07 10:24 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

thanks guys,Yeah I usually listen to alot of Hip hop/trance/downtempo music.

I might just get two headphones..bah! one for crazy bass and the other to hear everything balanced :yesnod:

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery

Loc: Gallifrey
    #9536252 - 01/03/09 05:16 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, so it's been awhile since this thread was created. But there was no need to create a new one! Right now my two headphone choices are:

Denon AHD 1000
Bose Over-Ear Headphones

I've listened to the Bose headphones before at Best Buy, and they do sound really great. Everything I read about the Denon's is absolutely positive though. Anyone actually listened to 'em? I'm starting a new position at my company, I'll be working 3rd shift pretty much by myself and want to be able to just shut off the outside world and totally get into my music while I work.

I have no doubt at least 10 people will come out of the woodwork and say sennheiser is the way to go. I already have a pair of open air sennheisers that are super comfy and nice, but I need a pair of cans and I'd like to try a different brand. My price range is $75-150 or so, depending.

Suggestions? Comments? Opinions? Anecdotes? :smile:

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale