Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
is the world really too masculine/yang?
    #1733593 - 07/20/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I tried to download the new matrix, but the file I got was actually fight club. I've seen it a few times (of course) but I'm bored and so I'm watching it again.

anyway, I just got to the part where ed norton's character is talking to tyler about tylers dad's useless advice (go to college... get a job... get married...). ed norton says "get married? I'm a 30 year old boy..." tyler responds with "we're a generation raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is what we need."

this is opposed to what is often said about our times being a "dominator model", that the modern era is too filled with yang at the expense of yin. this bit in the movie got me thinking that perhaps it's more that we've defined "yang" and "masculine" improperly. is imperialism manly? is george w. manly? well, he works out.... but I'm pretty sure I'd kick the shit out of him if it came down to it. and that matters.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: is the world really too masculine/yang? [Re: Malachi]
    #1733939 - 07/21/03 01:25 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

imperialism is definitly masculine, one culture invades and dominates another culture. Its political rape, and last time I checked, males were the sex committing 99 percent of rape

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: is the world really too masculine/yang? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1733951 - 07/21/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

**whoosh** (point flys over atomikfunksoldier's head)

when was the last time you saw a rapist on tv and said "damn, now that is a perfect example of manliness!"

no, I'd have to say that both rapists and imperialists fall more into the "sissy bitch" category.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

#1734005 - 07/21/03 01:53 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

ummm....so according to your conception of yin and yang, somehow a huge chunk of human behaviour trancends masculine and feminine?

as I understand....yang is aggressive and yin is passive, yes?

whoosh! your point gets carried away with the wind because it has no substance.

--------------------

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #1734015 - 07/21/03 01:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yin and yang basically represents balance in life. One side is male one is female. There are basically two sides to everything.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

Re: is the world really too masculine/yang? [Re: Cherk]
    #1734021 - 07/21/03 02:02 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for enlightening us

--------------------

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #1734022 - 07/21/03 02:04 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

my sarcasm detector sucks.  Are you being sarcastic or not?  :laugh:

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #1734027 - 07/21/03 02:07 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That whole movie is about narcissism; the trap of society.
That's the reason why tyler was created.

Tyler was the pain Jack forgot to feel about his life.
At the beggining of the movie, Jack was this passive observer of his own life. He was even passive about moving in with tyler. He could'nt even explain why he was'nt trying to get his life together after his apartment exploded! I mean, talk about detached...

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1734046 - 07/21/03 02:25 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

atomikfunksoldier said:
ummm....so according to your conception of yin and yang, somehow a huge chunk of human behaviour trancends masculine and feminine?

my point is that neither are reducible to stale and mislabeled dualities. what "chunk" of behavior? I'm assuming you're talking about evil (vis. the example). to that I say that evil exists in both sides.... maybe it's just the stonedness, but I don't understand where you got the notion that I was arguing against the yin/yang paradigm.
Quote:

as I understand....yang is aggressive and yin is passive, yes?

well, sort of. that's what my post is about. it kind of is, but not categorically. perhaps this is a better way of putting it: misplaced energy (on either side) can be evil. when bush sits in DC while people die for oil, he's being womanish, hence evil. when saddam kills people with his hands, he is being more manish but still evil. both motivations, greed, are manish. both act and motivation are evil, while not belonging to the same side of the yin yang.
this is misunderstood resulting in gangsters following hardcore killers whose actions (not motivations) are womanly, and americans following a similar quasi-fag.
I think the best case scenario is womanish motivation with male action in both sexes, just to different degrees and different styles between them. the gradation and style is really important though (male-female essence is still distinct, just sharing a motivations-action scheme).
Quote:

whoosh! your point gets carried away with the wind because it has no substance.

hey, I aim at lofty goals.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1734093 - 07/21/03 03:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

whoosh! The lower-circuit baboon memes get blown away by spirits.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: is the world really too masculine/yang? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1734125 - 07/21/03 03:28 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

no way man, the spirits groove with the monkey memes.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1734218 - 07/21/03 05:28 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"when bush sits in DC while people die for oil, he's being womanish, hence evil."

In my understanding of male and female - male is aggression, war, drive, science, technology and the rational and female is nurturance, peace, creativity, emotion, religion etc and as atomikfunksoldier said - yin/yang = passive vs. active. I think what you describe is the worse side of male. It's still aggression and lack of emotion, it is just Bush is detatched from his actions. (And I am not saying anything about individual males and females here - just the symbolic relations).

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: is the world really too masculine/yang? [Re: enotake2]
    #1734586 - 07/21/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

aggression is emotion, and it can be a damn good one at that. what he's doing is emotional - just the bad part of womanly emotion.

Im arguing that passive v. active is too simplistic.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1734625 - 07/21/03 10:49 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think we can really define what makes a male and what makes a female... I mean, it doesn't seem anymore like males our masculine and females our femine, everyone is a combination of both, whether or not we have penises or vaginas. hehe
I mean, the above mentioned differences obviously distinguish us into male and female, but other than that, it doesn't determine our personality traits. I mean, obviously a lot of males have similar traits, and the same with women, but we ALL have a lot of similiar traits. Our personalities and behaviours shouldn't be assumed or judged by the fact that we are male or female.
Also, isn't yin and yang used to represent all paradoxes? Light and dark, etc? It isn't just limited to male and female (who are only physically different)...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: is the world really too masculine/yang? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1734646 - 07/21/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

but too often yang is called bad and yin is called good. this defeats the intention of lao tzu of overcoming duality (hence a little of each in within each). I'm just trying to say that manliness itself is too often confused with evil, while neither yin or yang is "evil". evil does exist (hardcore dualism opponents would aruge that there is no good/evil... what are anti-dualists called in the wester world?) when men inappropriately act womanly (opposed to the right time to act womanly) and vice versa.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1734679 - 07/21/03 11:10 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Like I said, I think that yin and yang is just a model. Neither side doesn't represent anything until we apply it to the model. It could represent mind and body, light and dark, left and right, good and evil, etc.. while representing that both interact, are equal in value, and equal one whole.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1734769 - 07/21/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

the universe balances itself, regardless of what we do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds