Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Alternate Light Source
    #1718052 - 07/15/03 02:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Could glow in the dark paint be substituted for actual light???

An example of such would be if I were to paint my terranium in glow in the dark paint and used a camera flash to light the paint up. Would the paint be enough light to tell the little guys it's time to go?

If so would it have any effects on growth which direction would the mushrooms grow if the entire tank was giving off light???? This might not be the right forum for this question. Also could you paint your fully colonized jars with glow in the dark paint to cause them to pin and grow inside the jars (I think this is called invitro but I can't remember) this way you could grow your mushies inside the jars without any real light aside from a camera flash once in a while total darkness pretty much????

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepeeko
poop
Re: Alternate Light Source [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1719021 - 07/15/03 07:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm no expert but I don't think that glow in the dark paint would be powerful enough. If it was, though, and you painted the inside of the terrarium with it, the mushrooms would (I think) grow in every direction. If glow in the dark paint did work, I'd just paint the lid of the terrarium... but that's just me cause I like pretty mushies...

Again, I'm no expert, but I don't think the glow in the dark paint would be powerful enough for the zoomers.

Offlinecerealrat
Stranger
Re: Alternate Light Source *DELETED* [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1719428 - 07/15/03 11:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by cerealrat

Reason for deletion:  

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: Alternate Light Source [Re: cerealrat]
    #1720452 - 07/16/03 04:56 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This section is a short section, because there is not much to it.
As long as there is a window in the room, there will be sufficient light for your mushrooms to grow. In fact all your mushrooms really need is a few minutes of light a day to grow. All they need the light for is to know which way is up so they know which way to grow, but the amount of light given will not affect wether you get mushrooms or not.
The heigth of your mushrooms will also not be determined by the amount of light provided. Sometimes mushrooms will grow longer if they have less light.One way to use light to your advantage though, is by using blue light as your number 1 source of light.Blue light has proven to be the best spectrum for mushrooms, than any other spectrum on Earth. Shown to stimulate upward growth, speed of growth, and overall health.
What is mostly recommended for use is blue LED lights, but LED lights are really hard to find, and they are really really tiny, so you would need A LOT of them to even make a difference in your chamber. So forget LED lights.You can integrate the use of blue light by choosing a blue container as your growth chamber. The kind that isn't transparent, but will still let light through. This way, any and all light that enters the growth chamber will turn blue.
:smile:
You can accent this blue light by placing a fluorescent lightbulb on top of the lid for a few hours a day

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Alternate Light Source [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1721086 - 07/16/03 11:38 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My personal experience, contrary to everything i've read has been that more light is better. More light gives way to better pinsets.

This contradicts many things i've read, and how it's supposed to work. But that's my experience.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Re: Alternate Light Source [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1722242 - 07/16/03 06:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I said a camera flash because a camera flash charges glow in the dark paint up real good, as does black lights perhaps here another perspective if I put a black light in a closet with a glow in the dark painted tank the black light would make the paint glow everywhere and thus even out the lighting. This way the little guys would grow specifically towards the light which would remain very lit up during the time the black light was left on which wouldn't be for too long only part of a day the other thing is glow paint glows for quite a while and if shrooms need only a small amount of light then wouldn't it glowing be sufficient.

My Question again wasn't about using a low watt bulb, it was about the use of an alternate light source that's why I posted it in advanced vs the typical forum. I have been thinking about the blue spectrum of light for sometime now and after reading your post I think I'm going to give it a shot. The other thing is, there is paint which is also blue when put under a black light could you paint this onto your terranium everywhere to also give it a blue spectrum from the black light.

Offlinecerealrat
Stranger
Re: Alternate Light Source *DELETED* [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1722292 - 07/16/03 07:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by cerealrat

Reason for deletion:  

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Alternate Light Source [Re: cerealrat]
    #1722779 - 07/16/03 09:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Search for posts about PF mutating his entire spore stock via blacklights before using them in a grow room....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: Alternate Light Source [Re: mycofile]
    #1722789 - 07/16/03 09:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

didn't PF also note the degeneration caused by regular flourescents?

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Alternate Light Source [Re: felix]
    #1726594 - 07/18/03 01:26 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

PF also thought shiitake spore prints were bacteria because they were white.

It's hard for me to take him seriously. Sure, he knows growing cubensis. But I don't think he knows much about anything else in the field of mycology.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology