Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
How to eliminate greed
    #1702353 - 07/10/03 01:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I would like to hear people's ideas on this topic. What are your practical suggestions on how to eliminate greed?

I know this is a lot to ask, requesting practical suggestions on a political forum, but since many here seem to think that greed is the worst problem we face today, I would like to know what political methods people suggest that we use to solve this problem. No repetitive whining please, just constructive ideas.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1702399 - 07/10/03 02:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

go to good vibin parties with an open mind and a friendly attitude (a nice shirt helps too). meet people. laugh, dance, be merry = increase in love and compassion for fellow man.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1702407 - 07/10/03 02:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

It's not possible.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#1702421 - 07/10/03 02:11 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

in yourself or in society?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1702438 - 07/10/03 02:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Greed is part of life, if there's a person on this earth that claims to not be greedy they are also a liar.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1702554 - 07/10/03 02:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have to agree with everyone else; it is not possible to eliminate greed (at least I can't think of a way).

--------------------

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: ]
    #1702569 - 07/10/03 02:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

in yourself or in society?

In society.

Actually Malachi has already expressed what I think is best on a personal level: meet people. laugh, dance, be merry, and show love and compassion as a human being.

But on a political level? I was hoping to get some input from the left-wing participants there. Personally I think there is very little that politics can do to handle greed, but I'd like to hear more opinions before I say what I think is possible.

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1702626 - 07/10/03 03:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

There is no political solution.
I agree that greed is wired into us.Has to be, cause the submissive puppy,monkey,man gets fed last.Still,greedy tendencies can be overcome.What did people like Gandhi,Mother Theresa,MLK jr. lust for?Greed in itself is not evil.
This half-ape half-man is foraging for meat and taters when he stumbles on a deer that broke it's legs in a tater patch.Bonanza,apeman grunted.The weathers been bad and his clan is on the verge of starvation.He can save his clan.Well up comes another apeman who's keen on taking the booty.Apeman 1Picks up a stone and dashes apeman2 brains out.This act of savage greed saves the lives of his clan.Greed in this instance is required for survival.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: shroomophile]
    #1702642 - 07/10/03 03:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

But was that greed or self preservation?

Or both?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1702702 - 07/10/03 03:18 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Greed is part of life, if there's a person on this earth that claims to not be greedy they are also a liar.

Bullshit. Get out more. Meet a few more people. Travel.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1702716 - 07/10/03 03:22 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Don't really know.My point is that greed in itself is not a bad thing,it's a survival instinct resulting from millions of years of evolution.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1702727 - 07/10/03 03:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I think that it will require a change of people's basic mindset, but that it's hard for people to see this right now, because their current worldview doesn't allow it.

Take a current topic, peer-to-peer filesharing (and to a larger extent, Internet). Ignoring the 'morality' of it for a second, this is something that has been adopted by hundreds of millions of people in just a few short years.  These hundreds of millions of people around the world now feel that it's perfectly normal to swap ideas and information freely between each other (some of which are copyrighted materials).  When you think about this, it's a massive change in some people's way of thinking, brought on by a few pieces of software and the advancement of technology.

Look at the kind of life people had 50 years ago (many people thought that landing on the moon was impossible for example), then look at what we have now.  I can't even begin to imagine what life is going to be like in 50 years, but with the rate of technological change accelerating every year, I think it's very likely that we will have very different 'mindsets' by then.

If we just speculate on a few ideas maybe, like life expectancy.  It's possible that within the next 50 years we could have basic life-extending techniques, or at least much better healthcare.  What kind of possibilities open up if it's suddenly possible for you to live an extra 50 years?  How would you live your life differently now you have that extra time (and in that extra time, more advancements could be made, enabling you to live even longer)?

How about energy?  In 50 years it's possible we could have refined existing sources of 'renewable' energy, and even come up with some more.  How would that affect the way we live if most of our energy was free and unlimited?
Nanotechnology?  In 50 years we may have microscopic machines that can build almost anything we desire from a basic blueprint.  We may be able to invent our own realities by having nanobots interface directly with the neurons in our brains.

A lot has changed in the last 50 years, and technology is advancing ever faster, not slowing down.  I know that I haven't really given a 'practical' answer to your question, but changes are happening, and it's amost inevitable that some of these changes will affect the way we think.

I'm sure most of us here can think of a few ideas in the 50's that just seem quaint, embarassing, or even abhorrent nowadays.  We might look back from the future on these times with the same kind of feelings.

Of course this is just wishful thinking on my part right now, it's equally as plausible that we could destroy ourselves completely within 50 years too. :smile:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: Xlea321]
    #1702775 - 07/10/03 03:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I travel quite a bit (probably more than most), and i see it even in Jolly 'ol England.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1702804 - 07/10/03 03:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"Greed is part of life, if there's a person on this earth that claims to not be greedy they are also a liar."

wow, what an amazing absolutist statement with no basis in reality. I guess it depends on how you define "greed" eh? Ive met many a humanoid who isnt greedy. But how to eliminate it?

hmmmm, well, i dont know if you could "eliminate" a human (emotion?), but you could limit its effects on society through governmental controls, like....high taxes. If an individual can only make, say...half a million dollars a year, then they cant be all that greedy, they know their limits from day one. And then eventually, the individuals within the high-tax society will become accustomed to the condition created by the taxes, and they will have less of a chance to fall victim to greed, either that or they will move to the US.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1702822 - 07/10/03 03:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I travel quite a bit (probably more than most), and i see it even in Jolly 'ol England.

How greedy are you inny? If someone offered you a million bucks or the chance to save a few thousand lives which would you pick?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1702886 - 07/10/03 04:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wow, what an amazing absolutist statement with no basis in reality

It is reality, i'm not proud of it but it IS and no country or person can say that they have never been greedy. I will change my wording around to fit the sensitive ones here and say that the world may be filled with greed but not all people are generally greedy.

Quote:

Ive met many a humanoid who isnt greedy.

you have never met a person who has never been greedy. (above statement clears up this.)

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: Xlea321]
    #1702890 - 07/10/03 04:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

How greedy are you inny? If someone offered you a million bucks or the chance to save a few thousand lives which would you pick?

the lives ofcourse, i can always earn a million dollars if i work hard at it (unless those greedy libbies enact some sort of law by putting a cap on earnings)

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: How to eliminate greed [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1702893 - 07/10/03 04:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

high taxes

That doesn't eliminate greed. It may control greed. If anything it would spur greed because those who wish to be rich, will still wish to be so.

--------------------

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1702894 - 07/10/03 04:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

well thats a very different scenario then isnt it?

never been greedy/is consecutively greedy.

have I ever been drunk, yes. Am i always drunk, no. Its impossible to deter people from EVER committing an act of greed, but what im concerned with is a lifestyle of greed. Hope that clarifies.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #1702991 - 07/10/03 04:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well, you would'nt want to elimate greed so much as we would like to eliminate the pathological form of greed. And like ridding every other personality/pathology I believe this requires a culture that is keen on the nature of man. Unlike present cultures which are currently under severe denial over every individuals true nature. If you want to get rid of pathological greed, you must raise a generation, not on the current narcissistic traits of american culture, no, but on a culture that is much more realistic and accepting. If you want to get rid of certain adult personality traits you gotta raise the babies right. If you fuck the surroundings, then you fuck the poor babies, then the babies grow up and they fuck you. Then we're all fucked.

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

General Interest >> Political Discussion