Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
McCain: Bush 'Stonewalling' 9/11 Commission
    #1701082 - 07/10/03 12:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Story

Quote:

McCain: Bush 'Stonewalling' 9/11 Commission

After months of defending the Bush administration's decision to go to war in Iraq, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is accusing the White House of "stonewalling" the independent commission set up to examine why America was vulnerable to the 9/11 attacks.

"While I don't want to believe such a basic lack of cooperation was intentional, it nonetheless creates the appearance of bureaucratic stonewalling," the influential Republican told the commission, in comments reported Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal.

"Excessive administration secrecy on issues related to the Sept. 11 attacks feeds conspiracy theories and reduces the public's confidence in government," he added.

The criticism from McCain, who was a main sponsor for the bill that created the independent probe, has Democrats piling on, with commission member Max Cleland, the former senator from Georgia, complaining that the White House is "cherry picking" the documents it wants to turn over for review.

"It's obvious they're sifting the information to the 9/11 commission now," he told the Journal. "The picture is not encouraging."

For its part the White House says it has nothing to hide.

"The president believes the commission should carefully investigate the evidence and follow all the facts wherever they should lead," White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett told the paper. "What the investigation would show is that we took terrorism very seriously."

Still, administration critics complain that access to key documents has to be routed through the Justice Department and that subpoena power will be restricted under rules required by the White House.

The Bush administration insisted that the 10-member panel be evenly spilt between Democrats and Republicans, requiring at least one Republican to go along before any witness is subpoenaed.

A controversy is also brewing over claims from former Clinton administration officials that their warnings about Osama bin Laden went unheeded by Bush officials.

"I know that during the transition between the Clinton and Bush administrations that the outgoing administration told the incoming one that they would spend more time on terrorism and bin Laden than anything else," Sen. Hillary Clinton complained earlier this year, adding, "That wasn't their priority. Their priorities were different."

Though commission members include sharp-eyed partisan Democrats like ex-Whitewater damage controller Richard Ben Veniste and former Janet Reno deputy attorney general Jamie Gorelick, Republicans on the committee seem just as flat-footed as ever.

In a move that signals that the White House is committed to staying on the defensive, neither administration officials nor their ham-handed allies in Congress have expressed any interest in ex-President Clinton's confession last year that he turned down a deal to extradite Osama bin Laden to the U.S. in 1996.

Despite the GOP's investigative lethargy, the ex-president seems to be taking no chances. While Mr. Bartlett told the Journal that President Bush was open to being interviewed by 9/11 probers, a Clinton spokesman declined to say whether his boss would also agree to be grilled.

Wondy why Bush wouldn't want the 9/11 Commission to see these documents? Could it be because..............................

BUSH KNEW?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: McCain: Bush 'Stonewalling' 9/11 Commission [Re: Learyfan]
    #1701786 - 07/10/03 06:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

John "Lets pass an unconstitutional campiagn finance law" McCain?

The guy is not one I think too highly of.

I suspect a lot of what he says based on Bush winning the primary.

Now to set the record straight, some here will remember me stateing I didn't vote for Bush in the primary.

I voted for McCain because at the time I believed him to be a better choice. The Campaign Finance Bill ended that belief. Common thought has the bill being better for the Republicans, but I still think it stinks and is unconstitutional.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: McCain: Bush 'Stonewalling' 9/11 Commission [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1702088 - 07/10/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

What's Bush hiding about 9-11??

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1702119 - 07/10/03 12:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
What's Bush hiding about 9-11??

As far as has been proved? Nothing.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#1702131 - 07/10/03 12:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Makes me think that if every 9-11 document was turned over, some "proof" may be found.

Think about it though. Why wouldn't he turn over every document right now?

If he's innocent, then what is he hiding?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1702141 - 07/10/03 12:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

In the history of the US, how often do you think all government agencies have turned over all requested, and even subpoenaed documents?

With things the way they are today, what makes you think they could even FIND all the documents?

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#1702205 - 07/10/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

In the history of the US, how often do you think all government agencies have turned over all requested, and
even subpoenaed documents?

That's no excuse. Let's start holding the men who run our country accountable.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1702213 - 07/10/03 12:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Perhaps when the people start being accountable, our leaders may be.

When you've governed stooges for so many years, it's not so easy to take things seriously.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#1702239 - 07/10/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Are you saying it's ok for politicians to lie and/or withhold the truth?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1702249 - 07/10/03 01:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

While I'm not sure where you got that from this thread I'll answer anyway.

In matters of national security, yes.

To protect their asses, no.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1702389 - 07/10/03 02:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There's also an article over at The Guardian which presents the story in a different light:

9/11 inquiry alleges witness intimidation

Julian Borger in Washington
Thursday July 10, 2003
The Guardian

A US panel investigating the September 11 terrorist attacks yesterday accused the Pentagon and the justice department of obstructing the inquiry and said witnesses were being intimidated.

The federal commission of inquiry was appointed eight months ago by the White House, which was under intense congressional pressure to look into allegations that the CIA, the FBI and the Pentagon could have done more to prevent the 2001 al-Qaida attacks.

Among a string of apparent intelligence failures, the commission will be asking why the FBI failed to heed warnings from some of its agents that al-Qaida could be planning to hit targets with hijacked airliners.

The investigation has been hampered by the withdrawal of its original chairman, Henry Kissinger, on grounds of conflict of interest, and funding difficulties. The bipartisan panel now says its work has been blocked by the bureaucracy.

Tim Roemer, a former congressman and a member of the commission, said yesterday: "We're not getting the kind of cooperation that we should be. "We need a steady stream of information coming to us...Instead, we're getting a trickle."

In a statement, the panel said the Pentagon's lack of cooperation was "particularly serious".

The inquiry's chairman, Thomas Kean, criticised the justice department for insisting intelligence officials giving testimony should be accompanied by "minders" from their agency.

"I think the commission feels unanimously that it's some intimidation to have somebody sitting behind you all the time who you either work for or works for your agency," he said.

The White House said the president was committed to the process, adding: "The president has directed federal agencies to cooperate and to do so quickly."

But Steven Push, whose wife died on September 11 and who represents victims' families, said: "I believe that there is stonewalling going on here."

He added: "It's beginning to look like some type of a cover-up."

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1702597 - 07/10/03 02:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Learyfan said:

In matters of national security, yes.

To protect their asses, no.

I agree with you here, but who gets to determine national security - the potentially guilty party? A bipartisan team should be appointed to look at what the national security concerns are and determine if they are sufficient to warrant the stonewalling of information.

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1702609 - 07/10/03 02:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Its getting very interesting, even CNN is picking up these stories and running all day with them.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: McCain: Bush 'Stonewalling' 9/11 Commission [Re: pattern]
    #1705452 - 07/11/03 12:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The Internet is full of wild theories -- that Mr. Bush knew in advance of
9/11 and allowed it to happen so he could exploit it to get his way in
domestic and international politics is the most notable -- and while
cyberspace is the natural home of the improbable and the far-fetched, the
administration's stonewalling only lends credence to those who believe a
cover-up of something is going on.

Why does 9/11 inquiry scare Bush?

--------------------