Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEasyPeez
Stranger
UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens
    #15473326 - 12/06/11 06:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,

As far as UK actives go, it's never ocurred to me to look beyond my beloved libs, but the terrible season I've had this year has got me thinking maybe i should be a bit more broad-minded in my hunting.

With this in mind could anyone be so kind as to offer info. (or links to info.) on the above mentioned mushroom types - i.e picking season, habitats, ID tips etc.

And yeah, i know I should be able to look all this up myself - I have done some researching, but because I can only access the 'net at work I have to be very discreet and fast about my research so wading through lots of old threads is not possible and all the ones I have looked at seem more US orientated.

Thanks again for any help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: EasyPeez]
    #15473366 - 12/06/11 07:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

EasyPeez said:
Hi,

As far as UK actives go, it's never ocurred to me to look beyond my beloved libs, but the terrible season I've had this year has got me thinking maybe i should be a bit more broad-minded in my hunting.

With this in mind could anyone be so kind as to offer info. (or links to info.) on the above mentioned mushroom types - i.e picking season, habitats, ID tips etc.

And yeah, i know I should be able to look all this up myself - I have done some researching, but because I can only access the 'net at work I have to be very discreet and fast about my research so wading through lots of old threads is not possible and all the ones I have looked at seem more US orientated.

Thanks again for any help.

Psilocybe cyanescens should be a cakewalk to find if you live in the UK. Panaeolus cyanescens, not so much. There is actually a dispute going on right now over the possibility of it bewing in the UK, so stay tuned.

--------------------
]

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: Ieponumos]
    #15473371 - 12/06/11 07:05 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Woodchip beds are where you want to look. Not sure if there's a connection but the one I found them in had roses growing out of it.

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: elprawn]
    #15473380 - 12/06/11 07:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

elprawn said:
Woodchip beds are where you want to look. Not sure if there's a connection but the one I found them in had roses growing out of it.

Roses are cool (except when they stab the ever-loving shit out of you and give you sporotrichosis). I've found some nice edibles growing amongst them.

EDIT: Oh yeah and listen to elPrawn for cyan advice. He knows his shrooms.

Edited by Ieponumos (12/06/11 07:10 AM)

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
    #15474170 - 12/06/11 11:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

elprawn said:

There's a connection If you ask me. Psilocybes love the Rose Family. I suspect and would not be surprised to hear there's a endophytic or Mycorrhizal relationship is going on there.

--------------------

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: ehtdaedlufetarg]
    #15474243 - 12/06/11 11:23 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Quote:

elprawn said:

There's a connection If you ask me. Psilocybes love the Rose Family. I suspect and would not be surprised to hear there's a endophytic or Mycorrhizal relationship is going on there.

Kinda like the association between P. cyanofibrillosa and Rhododendrons?

--------------------
]

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: Ieponumos]
    #15474408 - 12/06/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Quote:

elprawn said:

Yep. That statement could be broadened to section cyanescens and rhodadendrons IMO. Our PNW woodlovers would have been more with bush Lupine and rose family plants, as we have one native rhodie and it doesn't grow where actives do. In the UK and Europe, Scotch broom and rhodies become good partners, although I have more doubts about scotch broom actually forming a symbiosis as compared to simply providing ample food.

Section cyanescens Extensively associates with various shrubs, and through introduction of non native species any of the mentioned plants could be hosts in either location.
This isnt fact, but rather a combination of observation, deduction, and opinion.

--------------------

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #15474765 - 12/06/11 01:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Picking season is around the same time as liberty caps, maybe a little bit later starting and ending just after. They do grow naturally in the UK but are by far at their happiest amongst woodchip bedding where the mycelium can spread quickly between the chips.

So anywhere there is woodchip landscaping in an urban setting could be home to Psilocybe Cyanescens. Rack your brain and think where there could be such landscaping in your area; roundabouts, roadside bedding, pub playparks, supermarket car parks, public parks, business parks etc etc and get out there pronto as the end is near!

One thing I have noted is that they seem to have areas of the UK where they are common and others where thay are rare. They were first introduced in Kew Gardens in the early 20th Century and sightings around Surrey have been plentiful since. Epping Forest and other counties surrounding London seem hotspots too.

I scoured everywhere in my local Lincolnshire Town over and over to no avail last year but on passing through Surrey jumped out and the first and only landcaped area I checked had Cyans! One stem butt and you can be set for life too...

Forget Pan Cyans for now mate.

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
    #15476455 - 12/06/11 07:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Quote:

elprawn said:

Yep. That statement could be broadened to section cyanescens and rhodadendrons IMO. Our PNW woodlovers would have been more with bush Lupine and rose family plants, as we have one native rhodie and it doesn't grow where actives do. In the UK and Europe, Scotch broom and rhodies become good partners, although I have more doubts about scotch broom actually forming a symbiosis as compared to simply providing ample food.

Section cyanescens Extensively associates with various shrubs, and through introduction of non native species any of the mentioned plants could be hosts in either location.
This isnt fact, but rather a combination of observation, deduction, and opinion.

That's fantastic news to hear, because the cyans that I found were voracious and growing in an extremely dense formation, with a wide coverage across the bed. I've roses growing in my front garden and I've a feeling that they're soon to be accompanied by a gang of friendly alder chips. :smile:

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
    #15476508 - 12/06/11 07:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

When people say that psilocybe cyanescens have a close relationship with roses, rhododendrons and other bushes. Does that mean people have found them growing from out of the soil in the ground under these plants? I would think that psilocybe cyanescens have a closer relationship with alder chips more than plants. What does the myclium feed on if it grows from the earth? Does this have anything to do with people planting bushes in wood chips?
If I were to look under rhododendrons growing in the middle of the woods what would my odds me of finding cyanescens?

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

InvisibleJimlim

Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #15478038 - 12/07/11 12:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
When people say that psilocybe cyanescens have a close relationship with roses, rhododendrons and other bushes. Does that mean people have found them growing from out of the soil in the ground under these plants? I would think that psilocybe cyanescens have a closer relationship with alder chips more than plants. What does the myclium feed on if it grows from the earth? Does this have anything to do with people planting bushes in wood chips?
If I were to look under rhododendrons growing in the middle of the woods what would my odds me of finding cyanescens?

checked a fair few Rhododendrons out and about ... can say i never found any Cyans .. let alone other mushrooms ... but i did notice that the micro-climate beneath them and the smell emenating from below was more akin to a mushroom breeding ground compared to neighbouring habitats

and yeap Cyans seem to like wooden debris more than a close relationship with a plant growing beside ... this seems to be mostly random hypothesis

note: *my brain hurt after writing that post .. too many big werdz!*

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #15479520 - 12/07/11 10:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:

No, they wouldn't grow just out of the soil. They still need a food source. The relationship between them is similar to Mycorrhizal relationships, but it is not necessary (unlike, say, chanterelles or boletes). Outside of mycorrhizal relations, there are also endophytic relations between fungi and plants. Endophytic relationships are more typical of shrubs, grasses, and herbaceous plants, but surely trees too. The fungi literally weaves it's hyphae between the cells walls of the plants stem and leaves etc. In a sense it symbiotically colonizes the chosen plant. Although, I suppose I shouldn't call it a symbiosis necessarily, as far as I know were not sure what's happening there. It seems it would be though.

Stamets suggested the cyans endophytically colonize living alder trees, so when they die the fungus has already begun colonizing the wood. I'm not sure I'm too convinced tho.

--------------------

OfflineBelacqua
Stranger
Male

Loc: North London
    #15481965 - 12/07/11 06:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's quite interesting stuff.. at any one time a tree is composed of physiologically inactive/dead tissue and so in theory even a living tree provides habitats for saprophytes. With the cyan/soil issue I find that to be a grey area too. Even the most homogenous looking soil can hold quite a high lignin content. Chuck a clump of soil in a jar of water; shake and let settle and the floating stuff will usually be dead plant remnants. I've picked cyans that have no obvious connection to a woody substrate. Strange things mushrooms...:confused:

OfflineDagnet
Seeker
 User Gallery

#16055734 - 04/07/12 04:22 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This thread is quite old, however, there has been a rumour that Psilocybe cyanescens grow amongst the rosebushes in Kew gardens (the biggest garden/museum thing in the UK) Ofcource I checked for myself to see if this true, and it was November 2011 when I went and saw them for myself, and quite a lot, I'd say around 100 in the bushes.

I believe that there could also be some sort of relation between the two, maybe the roses keep a perfect PH balance for the mushroom, or something different. As the garden has mainly wood-chip mulch plant beds, and I only found the mushroom in the rose beds, then there's probably is some romance going on between roses and the mushroom.

--------------------
"Thoughts without intuitions are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind." - Kant

OfflineEasyPeez
Stranger
Re: UK Psilocybe cyanescens & Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: Dagnet]
    #16996294 - 10/09/12 07:28 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

A very, very belated thanks to everyone for the information in here,especially UK Explorer. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to find any decent wood chipped areas near me - clearly it's not a thing that our local council see fit to invest in, but I will keep looking and hoping. Kew Gardens has been on mine and the wife's planned days out for a long while...sounds like anytime soon might be the ideal time to make that plan come together!

Peace.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds