Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJaxx
Random muppet.
 User Gallery

Loc: Anywhere but Elsewhere
UK Shrooms.
    #1232548 - 01/20/03 01:07 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hello,  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about shroom hunting in the UK.  What species there are, where they might be found (before I get flamed I dont mean specific locations, i mean like woodland/grassland/shit etc) and what time of year?  :confused:

I am about to start growing some GT's but i wanted to know a bit more about the species of active mushrooms that are native to my area, just to build up my knowledge on the subject and you never know when i might stumble across something promising.  :grin: Any URL's or information in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

--------------------
If you were to draw a continuous straight line with a standard graphite pencil the line would stretch for 35 miles.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: UK Shrooms. [Re: Jaxx]
    #1232556 - 01/20/03 01:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Your best beats are liberty caps found in grass land like sheep fields or fly algarics found under birch pine and oak trees

A bit late for this year but you should see some flys from early summer till autum the libs have a smaller window,a small flush in spring then usally nothing till mid to late autum.

p.cyans are also said to grow here in bark chips but ive yet to spot any.

Good luck mate :smile: im also trying out some golden teachers.

Eidt : this post has an interessting list of uk active species
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=1206899&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

--------------------
er

Edited by G a n j a (01/20/03 01:23 AM)

OfflineJaxx
Random muppet.
 User Gallery

Loc: Anywhere but Elsewhere
Re: UK Shrooms. [Re: G a n j a]
    #1232575 - 01/20/03 01:36 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ooo, thanks for the Eidt  :wink: that's helped a lot. I was amazed how quick I got a response, these forums are great, thanks mate.  :laugh: 

--------------------
If you were to draw a continuous straight line with a standard graphite pencil the line would stretch for 35 miles.

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Loc: PNW
Re: UK Shrooms. [Re: Jaxx]
    #1233094 - 01/20/03 07:38 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Panaleous Subalteaus and Semilanciata(lib cap) are your best bets.

Panaleous Subalteaus grows gregariously on old rotting piles of straw/horse stables.
If you know of some country side where there is a lot of horse activity, check out some of farmer John's stables.

Liberty Caps are most often found in grazing grasslands, usually on older fields where cows have been grazing for a long time. I know there are lots of goats/sheep in the UK too, but I'm not sure if goat/sheep poo is of the same quality. consult a more informed mod on that one.

*from the linked post:
*Active species in/around London.

Amanita muscaria
Gymnopilus liquiritae
Gymnopilus spectabilis
Gymnopilus purpuratus
Inocybe corydalina var. corydalina
Inocybe haemacta
Panaeolus castaneifolius
Panaeolus fimicola
Panaeolus olivaceus
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Pluteus atricapillus
Pluteus salicinus
Psilocybe cyanescens
Psilocybe fimetaria
Psilocybe semilanceata
Psilocybe strictipes

best of luck, cheers~

--------------------
Seril,
Political language -true of all political parties- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give solidity to pure wind..

Edited by Seril (01/20/03 07:40 AM)

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Re: UK Shrooms. [Re: Seril]
    #1233198 - 01/20/03 08:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Though im sure Psilocybe semilanceata can grow in cow fields ive personaly had far more sucksess in sheep pastures and never found anything in cow fields active wise in the uk(Though that doesnt mean its not worth lookin).I notice that many america sites say its best to look in damp parts of the field.This ive also found not to be the case in the uk and find that hill sides and tops are the better places to look.These are just my own findings over a 15 year period and are in no way set in stone.
Also goats are pretty rare but from what ive heard arent much use to Psilocybe semilanceata

The above Psilocybe semilanceata were picked in pasture grazed only by deer and rabbits so i think its pretty varied what and were they may show up.Of course wales is still your best bet :smile: land for the liberty caps as far as im concerned.

--------------------
er

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: UK Shrooms. [Re: Seril]
    #1233540 - 01/20/03 10:02 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hi Seril,

Interestingly , I have found liberty caps in sheep fields in ORegon. However, the problem is then that the sheep clipp the grass tot hre ground. Cattle tenders use to hate sheep herders because they ate all the grass. That is their sheep did.

Anyway liberty caps l9ve tall rank grasses. They grow tall in such grasses. wWhen the grasses are short then the liberty caps are smaller than in a cow fieeld. Then it is almost impossibnle to distinguish between P. semilanceata, P strictipes and evern P. subfimetaria which also resembles liberty caps from a macroscopic point of view.

And you can read about the sheep eating liberty caps in Sheffield off the scot of Scotland at my website aL

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/news.htm

mj

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Re: UK Shrooms. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1233650 - 01/20/03 10:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This is true sheep do crop grasses shorter than cows which tends to make the libs easyer to spot.But in the uk sheep are normally herded on hills in large open land were as cows are usaly in the lower fields with less space.So you tend to find grasses at a varied lenght in sheep pasture due to its normaly large size.From short croped to longer sedge areas.

Still its all gravey they seem able to turn up in any grassed areas.The one linking matter seems to be that there grazed by sheep/deer/cows/rabbits

--------------------
er

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification