Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

Alien evolution similar to ours?
    #1691237 - 07/06/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I was watching independence day on tv when a thought occured to me. In the movie the aliens are very similar to us as they breathe oxygen and liked a planet similar to ours. Assuming the big bang occured, were all of the planets be around the same age? If so would a planet similar to ours follow the same evolutionary pattern? I wondered if a planet was the same age as ours and followed a similar pattern, do you think it would take to become more advanced than us in roughly the same amount of time? Would it be a species that lived in cooperation with nature or one similar to ours that destroyed nature. Depending on what you believe you could decide if aliens would be friendly or not. This also got me thinking about god. Was god around before the dinosaurs since he created the heavans and earth? If so wouldn't god be responsible for killing off the dinosaurs? If dinosaurs survived would humans exist?

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: Dankman]
    #1691274 - 07/06/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"Would it be a species that lived in cooperation with nature or one similar to ours that destroyed nature"

i think that's an incorrect generalization. many cultures have lived "in cooperation" with nature. just because certain current dominating cultures do not, that does not mean it reflects on the whole species.

"Was god around before the dinosaurs since he created the heavans and earth? If so wouldn't god be responsible for killing off the dinosaurs? If dinosaurs survived would humans exist?"

if some omnipitent god that makes conscious decisions does exist, it has always existed, and then yes, it chose to kill the dinasaurs. If dinasaurs survived....in abundance, humans would have been easy pickens for the carnivores.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1691333 - 07/06/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

As far as planets age, no, their age varies drastically throught the universe.  Planets age is more dependant on when its particular system was born.  As we speak, planets are likely being formed throughout the universe.

I also don't think that the manner in which a species treated its planet dictates whether or not they were benevolent.  If we encountered aliens and were able to acsertain they were friendly, I don't believe we would attack them.

Assuming that God exists and created the heavens and the Earth, that would have had to have already existed in order for dinosaurs to live here.  And if he was responsible for this, then the possibility the dinosaurs met their demise at his bidding is real.  But if he had a policy of non-interference, then he might not have been responsible.  And there is no way to know if humans would have existed if the dinosaurs had. 

I think your pattern of logic in these statements is a little flawed. :crazy: 

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1691602 - 07/06/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

God definetly doesn't believe in non-interference. The other day he gave me a nasty rug burn. I clutched my skinless knee, glared into the heavens and screamed "DAMN YOU GOD!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!" I was shaking my fist too.

Then I made a peanut-butter sandwich and had a strong sense of deja-vu.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1691623 - 07/06/03 11:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

God definetly doesn't believe in non-interference. The other day he gave me a nasty rug burn. I clutched my skinless knee, glared into the heavens and screamed "DAMN YOU GOD!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!" I was shaking my fist too.

That wasn't God, that was the  :devil:

:laugh: 

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinegedezia
backlash
Loc: heaven
    #1692141 - 07/07/03 03:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

would aliens be after our planet? sure.. requiring the same chemicals to live, (survive) then the movie represented a very accurate description. i remember that movie, somewhat.. why does jeff goldblum always have to deal with monsters?? poor feller.. but what if the aliens dont need oxygen or a "hospitable" planet.. but if all they desire is your body? (spare us your rod stewart song and dance) haha and THAT is all they need and i dont mean parasites in your bowels, i mean advanced creatures in your MIND.. not all aliens traverse the stars in spaceships.. i think that movie is a bit far fetched since any advanced alien would be able to create its own world. the aliens in "independence day" were slightly higher up the scale from us, but not far.. but to the crux.. does God exist.. yes. and he (or she) is in everything. the only question is: if God says you are obsolete and singles you out fot death.. would YOU agree? you know youre better than those tentacle infested assholes!!!!!!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1692145 - 07/07/03 03:17 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Aliens and their evolution would no-doubt have "SOMETHING" in common with us.... Unfortunately its hard to study how evolution works with just several decades spent on one planet with five very weak senses

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: gedezia]
    #1692243 - 07/07/03 04:50 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

no more far fetched than god. There are animals in the deep ocean that live by sulfer vents. They draw the sustinance from the sulfer. With that in mind alien evolution could be radicaly different from our own.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#1692330 - 07/07/03 06:18 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If evolution was to begin again on our own planet then things would be very different. Ultimately, how we evolve depends upon our surroundings.
With things different to how they were millions of years ago, evolution would take a very different course, and also without the gaurantee that the jump from intelligence to high intelligence will ever occur.
Natural selection doesn't favour high-intelligence, look what we have done to the planet we live on with our extraordinary intellectual abilities.
If 'civilized society' had never evolved then our planet would still be an unspoilt paradise.

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: Jackal]
    #1692336 - 07/07/03 06:20 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Not necessarily true. A rapidly breeding insect might have ravenged every living plant on earth leaving nothing behind.

--------------------

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1692406 - 07/07/03 06:54 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Not realistic, a single species of insect is not going to be able to ingest every species of flora.

Also, rapid breeding or not - the plants will develop a defense mechanism against the aggressive predators.

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1692430 - 07/07/03 07:08 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Jackal said:
the plants will develop a defense mechanism against the aggressive predators.

If that is true they have nothing to fear from us.

With the locust swarms that decemated huge areas whay is it hard to believe an insect could do devestating damage to the planet?

--------------------

OfflineLostMetropolis
A Stranger AmongStrangers

Loc: In The Machine
    #1692449 - 07/07/03 07:23 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Evolution is pretty random. Sometimes I wonder if everything is all just a big "Sim Universe" game. As for aliens, well, their evolution probably followed a similar path as ours, though I think they are probably a lot more advanced than us. Either that or they ARE us, evolved a couple million years into the future, with time travel capability.

But really there are way too many different variants and possibilities in evolution, so no two evolutionary progressions are going to be alike, even if the different planets themselves are alike.

"Depending on what you believe you could decide if aliens would be friendly or not?"

I think they would approach us just as we would approach them. Capture, and study.

--------------------
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: LostMetropolis]
    #1695688 - 07/08/03 06:19 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

We are all alone!

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #1695990 - 07/08/03 09:29 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

were all of the planets be around the same age?

The constituent material of the planets would be similiarly dated, but the organization of bodies into planetary systems would vary chronologically.

If so would a planet similar to ours follow the same evolutionary pattern?

Well, I suppose that depends on what one means by an evolutionary pattern specifically, but I'd think that there would likely be a general similarity regarding an overall evolution from simple to complex. The selective pressures unique over time and place on a specific planet would, of course, produce organisms that may have analogies to those here on Earth in some respects, but would likely produce what would seem to us as very novel as well.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1696005 - 07/08/03 09:39 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I wondered if a planet was the same age as ours and followed a similar pattern, do you think it would take to become more advanced than us in roughly the same amount of time?

Hmmm, more advanced technologically I guess is what you're asking. Perhaps eliminating events/circumstances which retard technological progress, such as governmental regimes which limit creative thought, for one thing. Chance discoveries that produce technological advancement on one planet that are otherwise slower to develop/occur on another might be another means by which one world society advances more quickly than another in a similiar time frame.

Would it be a species that lived in cooperation with nature or one similar to ours that destroyed nature.

Well, living cooperatively so as not to undermine the very resources upon which beings depend would necessarily be advantageous.

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: Alien evolution similar to ours? [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1696016 - 07/08/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It all depends if they had Roman Catholosism. That by far was one of the biggest repressions of science (in medievil [sp?] times) throughout our entire history... (from what I've come to believe).

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1696253 - 07/08/03 11:57 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Its possible that the anomally that the architect of the matrix (in matrix reloaded) was talking about is god.

God trying to get rid of our notions of god. God trying to kill god.

Or is there a god?

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale