Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16764554 -

Maverick said:
I will never recommend Asus again.  I'm sending this piece of shit back, it was full of bloatware, doesn't allow me to boot from USB to reinstall a new HDD, and the USB drives randomly stopped working this morning, they don't even power shit, this might be a windows problem but since i can't fix windows, I can't fix the issue.

How's that Lenovo as far as installing a new OS?



I'm sorry (and sad) to hear that the Asus didn't work out for you.  I was actually hoping you would reply something like "This is a great computer and I couldn't be happier" because I get off on other people being happy.

Hopefully you will get all your money back so you can get a new computer that doesn't suck :thumbup:


--------------------
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. - Galatians 5:16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: HB]
    #16764583 -

It won't let me boot from USB to install a new OS either.

I like how the netbook itself looks but if it's going to have this many problems, then I don't know.

Any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16764622 -

Some have said it, and though it goes against what you originally said (no apple products, plz) I HIGHLY recommend you get a used, bottom-of-the-line Macbook with the smaller screen and no frills.  You can almost certainly find them for just a few hundred dollars, and they're great computers ... here's an ad for one on ebay for just a few hundred bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-MacBook-133-Laptop-MB403LL-A-February-2008-/78114051?_refkw=macbook&_pcatid=529&_pcategid=111422&_dmpt=Apple_Laptops

I have a Macbook Pro that I got used for $500 and I swear by it, it never has any issues (like with the USB ports) and never crashes, never gets viruses, etc.  It's also extremely comfortable to type on and I like Mac OS X a lot :thumbup:

Even if I had just a Macbook with a smaller screen, etc., I would still be nearly as happy.  I don't know about the battery life on a Macbook, but I imagine most school classrooms have a power outlet somewhere within reach of many seats.


--------------------
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. - Galatians 5:16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: HB]
    #16764634 -

That thing's got 2gb of memory and isn't compatible with my stuff.  :frown:  Plus it's from 2008.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16764649 -

Maverick said:
That thing's got 2gb of memory and isn't compatible with my stuff.  :frown:  Plus it's from 2008.



If all you are planning on doing with it is typing then 2gb of memory shouldn't be a problem.  Neither should the year it was made be a problem, these computers last a long time if treated fairly well.

But if it isn't compatible with your stuff, that's a different story altogether.  What kind of stuff is it not compatible with, BTW?


--------------------
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. - Galatians 5:16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: HB]
    #16764710 -

Windows runs like crap on 2gb of memory is all I'm saying.  Plus I really don't want to get something that's 4 years old, lack of warranty, lack of future compatibility, etc.  Apple also just fucked samsung and the consumer market over recently. Not a big fan of them.  Also I've bought refurbished things and had them fail a few months later... Would rather it be new and not used, so if anything happens it's covered.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16764749 -

Maverick said:
Windows runs like crap on 2gb of memory is all I'm saying.  Plus I really don't want to get something that's 4 years old, lack of warranty, lack of future compatibility, etc.



I personally don't like windows anymore, especially compared to OS X, so I would never put windows on an apple computer, myself.  And it probably runs just fine on 2gb.

As for being 4 years old, I really think that there are more years in a macbook than you may think.  It's like cars ... some cars run for a million miles and don't break down often, and that's serious value and performance.  I think apple products are like those cars, they last a lot longer than people might think.

As for lack of warranty, I can understand that.  My last Macbook Pro was heavily used and not in good shape (it definitely wasn't treated well) and it died all of a sudden one day, not recoverable.  But I saw it coming.  It was a super inexpensive computer and, again, wasn't treated well at all by the last person/people to use it.  It was all banged up and stuff.  My current Macbook Pro also doesn't have a warranty since I got it used but I've had it a while and it's in great shape/no problems so I'm not worried at all about needing a warranty.  But again, I can understand wanting a warranty with a computer.  I just personally don't care about it if I can get a really good deal on a quality computer.

As for lack of future compatibility, the macbooks and macbook pros have been basically the same computer for many years now, aside from a few relatively unimportant details that they have on the newer computers.  Any computer will be outdated after a certain number of years (and with the way technology evolves, sooner than later and sooner than ever these days) so I think it's good to get one that isn't changing every 2-3 years drastically and has run on the same relative OS for 5+ years, and is a computer that can have it's OS upgraded.  At least a macbook could do that, your Asus apparently has no chance of doing that.

Not to try and sell you on Apple products or anything, I just like them a lot and think they're well-made with a lot of thought put into them, even the OS. 

Hmm ... maybe you should go with the computer that Acidic_Sloth recommended now that you know this one is bunk?


--------------------
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. - Galatians 5:16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: HB]
    #16764797 -

No windows7 wouldn't run fine on 2GB, it'd run like crap (i've seen it run on 2gb) :tongue:.  I've got win7 on my desktop and my gaming laptop.  Getting a mac would kind of be a waste to me, as the new ones are ridiculously expensive, and even if i wanted to use photoshop on them I'd then have to purchase a new version of photoshop (for nearly a grand).  Not going to go apple ever.

I'm not going to buy something 4 years old as a PC, that's just the bottom line.  :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16764822 -

Maverick said:
No windows7 wouldn't run fine on 2GB, it'd run like crap (i've seen it run on 2gb) :tongue:.  I've got win7 on my desktop and my gaming laptop.  Getting a mac would kind of be a waste to me, as the new ones are ridiculously expensive, and even if i wanted to use photoshop on them I'd then have to purchase a new version of photoshop (for nearly a grand).  Not going to go apple ever.

I'm not going to buy something 4 years old as a PC, that's just the bottom line.  :shrug:



I was lucky with this Macbook Pro that I got.  It came with the Adobe Suite CS5 (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) on it and didn't cost any extra, just $500 (and it's a 2012 Macbook Pro with 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3).  It didn't come with Office though (Word and Excel), which kind of sucked, but just the other day my boss at work gave me an install CD for Office 2011 with 2 installs left on it, so I just installed Office last night on my computer and now have Word and Excel for free on my computer, just like the Adobe suite :thumbup: :awesome:

Sorry I'm not any more help than I have been.  I haven't had a PC and haven't run windows in over 5 years (and my PCs were all desktops, not laptops, though since it was so long ago it wouldn't be any help anyway if I had laptops to recommend) :confused: the only recommendation I have, obviously, is a macbook because I have one and think so highly of it, but you've already said a few times that you don't want an apple computer, so that's as helpful as I can be in this thread.

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm sure if you keep bumping the thread regularly somebody will chime in with a good recommendation :thumbup:


--------------------
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. - Galatians 5:16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: HB]
    #16764853 -

It's okay, just frustrated with the entire situation.  If the USB ports didn't all of a sudden go dead I'd be somewhat okay with the eee...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16764905 -

I missed the part where you said the ports completely dead now, but I was going to say that an external DVD drive can be handy for doing installs and other tasks on netbooks. You can get a DVD-RW one for like $30 or less.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: psi]
    #16765186 -

I always thought those touch screen pad things are strange but google just came out with one. I wanted to get a ipod but this looks way sicker and its the same price. Might not be the most practical for school but I thought it looked nice.



http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: brokentv]
    #16765414 -

I'm not really up on the tablet market but that does sound like it has pretty decent specs for $200. I see no mention of a memory card slot though, that would be a dealbreaker for me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: psi]
    #16765730 -

I wouldn't want a tablet for typing school papers between classes, a tablet to me is more of a toy to screw around with and not get productive activities done, lol.  Does anyone know about the HD3000 chipsets?  I keep looking at non-integrated graphics cards but they are like 200-300$ more than HD3000 integrated laptops.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16765977 -

Just drop some paper and get a Macbook Pro. I will never go back to windows. They have so many problems and I just don't like spending the time figured that shit out. This macbook I am using = total win. I have gotten a couple people hooked on them. Windows blows. I used it for most of my life and it worked but now that I discovered how sweet macs are I am not going back.

You will be happy and there isn't that much of a learning curve. Oh and they are way compatible. I can save all my shit in the windows office formats and whatnot. They work great.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16767188 -

Look into an amd powered computer. I think I read that their integrated graphics are much better than intel.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: brokentv]
    #16767396 -

brokentv said:
Look into an amd powered computer. I think I read that their integrated graphics are much better than intel.



Forget graphics. Just get a computer that will last. He already has a nice gaming computer (I guess that means it beefed up or something?).

He needs to move on to something more reliable. It's time to move on to a mac.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: CounterCulturest]
    #16767722 -

Can I install Leapord onto a different laptop other than a macbook?  I honestly only have about 800$ to spend, and would prefer something new w/ the 2 year warranty and all that jazz.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16767859 -

if were talking stable how about linux, that os probably requires the least amount of resources to run. There can be a bit of a learning curve depending on what you want to do but for the basics its not much different than windows.


also google hackintosh, I know very little about it but I guess some guy build a mac out of a cardboard box to prove a point.

http://lifehacker.com/5841604/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh

Edited by brokentv (08/31/12 08:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptop for school? [Re: Maverick]
    #16767998 -

Maverick said:
Can I install Leapord onto a different laptop other than a macbook?  I honestly only have about 800$ to spend, and would prefer something new w/ the 2 year warranty and all that jazz.



I would think so. I know you can run windows on a mac so I'm guessing that you could probably find some sort of custom setup that could run leopard. Leopard rules man...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I finally got a laptop! Maverick 628 6 03/10/10 05:16 PM
by jadavi
* Alienware Laptops
( 1 2 3 all )
CrossingTheStar 3,678 55 12/15/11 11:48 PM
by CrossingTheStar
* Should I get this laptop?
( 1 2 all )
Rainman420 1,789 22 10/25/11 03:20 PM
by NWlight
* how to stop a laptop from overheating?
( 1 2 all )
kintos 3,828 31 04/07/10 06:45 AM
by DeathCompany
* What kind of laptop should I get?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Magicman69 5,308 108 12/15/13 11:41 PM
by CosmicJoke
* Female teacher caught having sex with student in classroom
( 1 2 all )
LobsterSauceDiscord 9,836 30 03/09/09 01:27 PM
by Platinum
* Doctors' Poor Handwriting Kills 7,000 and Injures 1.5 Million Annually TwoGuys 1,287 5 01/16/07 10:10 AM
by hoopershroomer
* My laptop isn't such a great gaming rig anymore... help?
( 1 2 all )
the spiral 2,120 36 08/04/13 12:03 PM
by ModestMouse

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,289 topic views. 5 members, 85 guests and 173 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.04 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.