Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: Richard_D_James]
    #1612092 - 06/05/03 03:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It's about time someone found these things. It would be interesting to see more pics of these during earlier stages of growth. I wonder if they're this white when they're young.Most psilocybe species change color from age and/or drying out.
I'm going to post some pics later of what looks like a similiar species that I found last fall. Everyone take a look and compare what I found to these.

Great photos, especially of the bluing ones. 
Eventually, the mystery of the elusive bluefoot will be solved, and we'll find out that the little buggers were right under our noses ( or feet)  :wink: the whole time.

doo 

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: shaniatwain]
    #1617176 - 06/07/03 07:46 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

any ideas about environmental conditions that may have promoted pinning...ie. temps night/day for previous two weeks, amount of rainfall, amount of canopy? is it windy?

fruiting temperatures:40f at night to 70f in the day
rainfall: lots
canopy: dense canopy/extreme shade
wind: breezy

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1617177 - 06/07/03 07:47 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

im waiting for someone on the shroomery to find this in FLORIDA. seems more of a northern species for now. maybe someday on chilly fall cold front...

Edited by MagmaManiac (06/07/03 07:48 PM)

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: Lizard King]
    #1617193 - 06/07/03 07:55 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry to nag you, but can you specify a little more on habitat.

Not a problem, LK. These mushrooms were found in a 100% natural setting. Any disturbance to the substrate would've been cause by running water. The mushrooms are very common in West Virginia during fruiting season. They are well known and sought after. They are called 'blue-foots' by most familiar with them. Also, these mushrooms seem to like habitats which are near elevation change. I'm saying they should be very common in the Appalachian foothills or any other hilly area in the specified range.

Also, these seem to be less common in the flatter areas of the specified range. It seems that a combination of steep hills and running water is what this species loves. The more hilly the area, the more common they are (in nature), at least to my observations.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1617212 - 06/07/03 08:17 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I wanted to mention that Gary Lincoff used the name blue foot with no informatrion from anyone that that name was the nick-name for this species . He also refered to Psilocybe stuntzii as Stuntz's blue legs.'

I would like to point out that when i asked Gary where these neick names came from he told me that he made them up for lack of anything better.

Here is a quote from Audubon's Filed Guide on page 725 regarding comments about P. stuntzii.

Quote:

"Also known as Washington Blue Veil." Like some other blue legs, this does not blue conspicuously. To avoid confusing it with the Deadly Galerina (Galerina autumnalis), be sure to take a sproe print."
Quote:

Nopw where did Gary get get the nick-name " Washington Blue Veil" from?

He got it from Dr. Andrew Weil's article on Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest orginally published in the Botanical Museum Leaflets of Harvard University and later in Weil's aticle on mushrooms from Oregon published first in the Journal of Psychedeli Drugs which later appeared in The marriage of the Sun and the Moon.

However, during the past 25 years, this author and others have never heard a single person outside of these two authors use those epithets to describe either P. caerulipes or P. stuntzii, The P. stuntzii's and P. fimetaria are most commly referred to as 'blue ringers' nothing more nothing less.

So I find it surprising that you mention that local users in West Virginia call these musrhooms 'blue foots'.

The reporter from the Wheeler West Virginia Newspaper investigating this matter also said that he had talked this morning with 6 of the charged students about the name blue legs and they reported the only name they new was magic musrhooms.

mj.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Caerulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: Richard_D_James]
    #1636089 - 06/15/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Wow great work my friend, when I saw those prints I had no idea there was such a conspiracy. :shocked:

Well written post! 5 Shrooms. 

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1651712 - 06/21/03 05:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I've talked to Shamus a bit more. Here are some updates/corrections.

This mushroom is found not only in the forest, but also in fields of tall grass/shade (more often/prolific in the forest) ALWAYS found growing DIRECTLY off of wood, usually ROTTED-To-Hell (Consistency of a sponge). Has been found fruiting directly off twigs laying on the forest floor. I think the 'wood-based matrix' discussed in GGMM is crucial. (Prefers Beech and Maple, but adaptable) ALWAYS found in an area with LOTS! of water. And it definently seems to be more common in the 'hills'.

One more important piece of info. The area where these were found goes into DEEP-FREEZE every winter, where the temperature does not get above freezing for over 2+ months at a time. It usually gets above freezing around mid-March. And yet these mushrooms are fruiting by april 20. So they seem to have a short life-cycle compared to the PNW woodlovers. Their lifecycle can't be any longer than 2 months it seems, unless mushroom mycelium can survive deep-freeze. Or maybe the wood-matrix substrate goes very deep into the earth where the mycelium can colonize and lay dormant in a just-above-freezing state. (as you know, the earth doesnt freeze once you get to a certain depth) Any guesses?

If the mycelium does indeed DIE every winter, than this could be an 'easy' active woodlover to cultivate outdoors (compared to Azure/Cyans, which take months, usually over a year before they fruit), considering the short life span. Shamus and friends say that these little guys want to reproduce badly, since they can be found in a variety of conditions. (temperature/season is always the same, but not habitat, although ALWAYS found growing directly off decayed wood)

Can anyone confirm/deny that ANY SPECIE of mycelium can survive deep freeze?

Anonymous

#1651858 - 06/21/03 06:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: ]
    #1651875 - 06/21/03 06:59 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.. out of 80 people got caught probably 35 or so were good friends of mine... this "blue foot" is the main reason i even came to the shroomery.. weve been trippin off these for years but all info i could get on magic mushrooms in west virgina only stated gyms and maybe pan subbs... these are EVERYWHERE right now... all this rain and this perfect mushroom weather... im prolly goin go out tommorow i know of lots of areas to check.. ill be printing every cap i find... peace

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1652756 - 06/22/03 12:56 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Be sure to post your findings, FungusHungry

"Hey... that part of the campground is closed"

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
    #1653581 - 06/22/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

No digi camera.. but workin out something with a fellow shroomerite to go hunting... so we should get results... went early for about an hour today goin back tonight.. thing is everyone here knows about them. so you gotta beat everyone to the punch.... sad thing is i can get tea from this species .. but the guys around picking them only care about makin tea.. i asked today but all caps were made into tea last night... ill find em dont worry  :stoned:

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

OfflineQQQ
Stranger
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1653972 - 06/22/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

FUCK THAT
FUCK THAT
FUCK THAT
POEJFLSKDJFLKSDJFLKJSDL:KFJSD:LKFJSD:LKFSJ
LIVE LIFE OR LIVE LIKE A DORK
WAAAASSSSSSSUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP

OfflineFazedOne
Stranger
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: QQQ]
    #1654167 - 06/22/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

GD I WISH I HAD A DIGI CAM, or ANY camera, anyhow those look similiar to the HUGE shrooms in my front yard, but im not gonna eat anything until im POSITIVE its correct.

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: FazedOne]
    #1657523 - 06/24/03 12:56 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I seriously doubt that Ps. Caerulipes would grow in a lawn. And they certainly are NOT HUGE. They are a small mushroom. Sorry, but I dont think they are the same. Maybe next time.

OfflineDyslexic
    #1667510 - 06/27/03 03:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hey I'm from WV and want to know if any of you local more experienced hunters would like to meet up sometime to find some stuff because I've never been before.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1667984 - 06/27/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome find and post. I am surprised that these mushrooms - being lignious - are only as potent as Cubensis. I would expect most lignious species to be considerably more potent than cubensis. But then again im talking from Subaeruginosa/azurescens/cyanescens experience.
They do resemble some specimens of subaeruginosa.

--------------------

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: Dyslexic]
    #1668088 - 06/27/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dyslexic said:
Hey I'm from WV and want to know if any of you local more experienced hunters would like to meet up sometime to find some stuff because I've never been before. 

Hey i`m from Texas and i would love to meet up with you also...I can show you some "Stuff" that you wont want to see again.... :mad:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

Anonymous

Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: TxTec]
    #1668125 - 06/27/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineDyslexic
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: TxTec]
    #1669392 - 06/28/03 11:55 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

hahaha...WTF?

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Extremely Rare Ps. Careulipes found!!!!!! PICS! [Re: Dyslexic]
    #1669443 - 06/28/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Just because you're dyslexic doesn't mean that you can't at least *try* to read the rules...

I was going to post my picture telling you to read the stickes but I don't wanna right now. Just do me a favor and read the sticky threads :smile: 

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck