Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15908895 -

XUL said:
Quote:
A room in an okay hostel shouldn't be more than 50-75€ per night even in popular cities



I am willing to pay 200-250 dollars a night for something decent. I want to live it up a little. I wont be going till next summer or spring but still. Planning ahead is always a good thing.

I would like a pretty decent hotel. Something nice and friendly.




I am looking some up right now actually.

I found airline tickets for 1200 on expedia.com so far.


--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15908897 -

XUL said:
Do you think it would be hard to go to germany by yourself without a guide?

Do lots of people speak english?

I was looking at flights into Berlin but what if I flew in and lodged in a small country side town. Would it still be possible to somehow communicate?



Everyone who works in the tourist industry will most likely speak some English.
Going to a foreign country by yourself can be intimidating, but it's not 'hard' by any mean.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15908945 -

I'd rather use the money in food and activities than for a bed. You'll probably be out and sightseeing most of the time.
XUL said:
Quote:
A room in an okay hostel shouldn't be more than 50-75€ per night even in popular cities



I am willing to pay 200-250 dollars a night for something decent. I want to live it up a little. I wont be going till next summer or spring but still. Planning ahead is always a good thing.

I would like a pretty decent hotel. Something nice and friendly.



Having worked in hotels for a few years in a very popular place, I highly recommend spending money on activities and sightseeing instead of a a hotel room. You're not going to Europe to visit hotels are you :wink:
Either way, prices will vary depending on where you are. A 'nice' 3 star hotel in the center of a major city should be around that price.

Summer will be more expensive and crowded, aim for spring if you can.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: damnnation]
    #15908999 -

Dude, you can't go to Europe and eat cheap...

Your taking away half the experience if you do that.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: Patlal]
    #15909003 -

Patlal said:
Dude, you can't go to Europe and eat cheap...

Your taking away half the experience if you do that.




Well I did a small calculation. If I ate out 3 times a day for 20-25 dollars a meal I could afford it.

But I dont need to eat out 3 times a day. Of course I will eat out but I like my plain health food too. I like to keep my diet. Its important.


--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15909055 -

XUL said:
Quote:
A room in an okay hostel shouldn't be more than 50-75€ per night even in popular cities



I am willing to pay 200-250 dollars a night for something decent.



WUT?

that is SOOOOOO much fucking money.  holy shit.  i don't even understand why anyone would be willing to spend that much to sleep.  you could do and see so much more with that money.

how old are you?  do you have some sort of crippling social anxiety that would prevent you from being able to sleep in the same room as other people?  what is it that justifies such an exorbitant cost to you when there are much more affordable options available?

hostels are pretty great for meeting other travelers and making fast friends for whatever city you're in (if you're not down for couchsurfing, that is).  they often have good common areas and sometimes even their own bars.

also, you can eat pretty goddamned well without actually cooking or eating out.  make a meal of bread, cheese, an assortment of cured meats and a fresh veggie or two.  i miss spanish jamon with a passion.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #15909094 -

tiny_rabid_birds said:
XUL said:
Quote:
A room in an okay hostel shouldn't be more than 50-75€ per night even in popular cities



I am willing to pay 200-250 dollars a night for something decent.



WUT?

that is SOOOOOO much fucking money.  holy shit.  i don't even understand why anyone would be willing to spend that much to sleep.  you could do and see so much more with that money.

how old are you?  do you have some sort of crippling social anxiety that would prevent you from being able to sleep in the same room as other people?  what is it that justifies such an exorbitant cost to you when there are much more affordable options available?

hostels are pretty great for meeting other travelers and making fast friends for whatever city you're in (if you're not down for couchsurfing, that is).  they often have good common areas and sometimes even their own bars.

also, you can eat pretty goddamned well without actually cooking or eating out.  make a meal of bread, cheese, an assortment of cured meats and a fresh veggie or two.  i miss spanish jamon with a passion.




Its not that much money. I am not rich but I know how to save money.

Plus when I do travel I like to do it right ya know? I wont penny pinch unless its necessary and as I have no looked into the costs of this trip it does not seem extremely necessary. Plus I bet the hotel serves free breakfast.

Its not so much anxiety rather going to a country all alone. I would like a hotel where I know the staff will help me get around and find my way. In America I find that the more you pay the better the service you get. Higher costing places usually come with better service.

Its all boils down to taste too. I would rather spend my nights in a comfortable hotel than in a room with 3 other people. I have been rooming with other people since 9th grade. I am sick of it even if its just for a week.

Just because I save for a nice hotel doesnt mean I wont experience the country. I usually do a good job at absorbing culture and good times. I would definitely like to take a taxi and spend some time out in small country farm towns. I would like to do some hiking also. Usually I make a habit of visiting ghettos when I visit an area but I wont take that risk in another country. No way. I would like to do a couple museums and definitely and most importantly just sit down and find people to talk to (ones that speak english).


--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15909205 -

XUL said:
Its not that much money. I am not rich but I know how to save money.

Plus when I do travel I like to do it right ya know? I wont penny pinch unless its necessary and as I have no looked into the costs of this trip it does not seem extremely necessary. Plus I bet the hotel serves free breakfast.

Its not so much anxiety rather going to a country all alone. I would like a hotel where I know the staff will help me get around and find my way. In America I find that the more you pay the better the service you get. Higher costing places usually come with better service.

Its all boils down to taste too. I would rather spend my nights in a comfortable hotel than in a room with 3 other people. I have been rooming with other people since 9th grade. I am sick of it even if its just for a week.

Just because I save for a nice hotel doesnt mean I wont experience the country. I usually do a good job at absorbing culture and good times. I would definitely like to take a taxi and spend some time out in small country farm towns. I would like to do some hiking also. Usually I make a habit of visiting ghettos when I visit an area but I wont take that risk in another country. No way. I would like to do a couple museums and definitely and most importantly just sit down and find people to talk to (ones that speak english).



I agree with your point of view, but don't think the staff in an hotel will work better because you paid more money for your room. Also breakfast is almost never included with the price of the room unless you pay for 'bed and breakfast' and you might even have to pay for wifi...

I'd had clients pay up to 9500€ per night for a room (no kidding) and that didn't make me work better or give them better advices compared to a person who paid 120€ (different hotel). Of course  the more you pay the better the quality of service and the more luxurious an hotel will be.

I always found it ironic that I was hosting people for free with couchsurfing and really tried to make them feel at home, spend time with them and make sure they have a great time while sometimes at work I'd see clients after clients and not care as much.

Edit; I'm really high and I might not be explaining myself properly... Just to clarify I'm not saying you won't have better service if you go to a 5 star hotel compared to a 2 star hotel.
The more you pay the better the hotel budget will be and thus more staff, so you'll have more/better quality service, but a good receptionist/concierge/front desk agent will give you the same advice as to what to see and do no matter if you pay 50€ or 5000€.

Edited by damnnation (03/06/12 02:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: damnnation]
    #15909236 -

This couch surfing.. does that mean you stay in someones home on their couch?


--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: damnnation]
    #15909239 -

check these links out to give you some ideas. truthfully I think a week is not enough time but you could probably see a lot if you spend your time wisely but than you would be on a really tight schedule. god forbid you miss a bus and your entire schedule gets screwed up.


http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2066951
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2074906
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2118288

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15909243 -

XUL said:
This couch surfing.. does that mean you stay in someones home on their couch?



yes or on the ground in there living room. if your lucky in there guest room.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: demonofchaos]
    #15909302 -

CouchSurfing is just what the name implies. Staying at somebody's house. Sometimes they have a sleeping pad, a couch, a guest room.  The first time I used it was in NY and DC. In NY I stayed with a young couple who lived in Manhattan and had access to the roof of their building so I would take my breakfast while enjoying the amazing view. In DC I stayed at an older man's 3 level house.
I also slept on the ground with 7 other people in one room haha.

You browse people's profile based by location and see who you'd think you get along with depending on what they write about them self, their hobbies etc. Members mentions on their profile what they can offer (couch or whatever). You write them a 'couch request' (as a host it's nice to feel that someone actually want to stay at your place and not just anybody and it's even worse when they behave like you're a hotel and only use the site as to not pay for hostel) and they answer positively or negatively. Beware that there's much more demands than offers.

I really think one should only use couchsurfing with the intent of spending time with their host and share knowledge and culture. Most hosts will be happy to show you around and share a meal while other will be busy working and will let you by yourself. Again, this should be written on their profile.

Surfing/hosting isn't for everyone... But you can also meet with people to visit places together, share a meal or go to a party to meet other travelers. There's groups for pretty much every cities. Here's the group for Paris to give you an example http://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=199

(I swear I'm not getting paid by them haha, but IMO it's one of the best way to travel!)

Edited by damnnation (03/06/12 02:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15909652 -

i wholeheartedly agree with damnnation's assessment of couchsurfing as being the best way to travel. i stayed with so many awesome people who shared their time, living space, knowledge, and sometimes even food (and a couple of times, a bed).  there is no better way to experience full immersion than staying with a local.  and considering these are people willing to open their home to traveling strangers, most are awesome as fuck.  i stayed with something like 30-35 hosts over the course of 4-5 months (before that i was staying in hostels and wwoofing), and about a third of those had an actual bed or mattress to offer.

just imagine what you could do with that extra grand saved by not paying for a hotel for 4 nights.  if you end up staying with a particularly awesome host, treat them out to an amazing dinner at even half the price of the hotel.

at the very least, take a look at the website.  www.couchsurfing.org ; search couches in the areas you're interested in visiting, just to take a look at some of the profiles and references left by people.  they often share stories of great experiences with one another.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #15909728 -

Yeah man, seriously, $250 a NIGHT? That is fucking OBSCENE.  I can't believe you would do that.

For a single week trip, I would not spend over $2500, and even that would be pushing it.  It's dumb to go for a week though, you're looking at ~$1000 for flight, you should make it worthwhile.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #15909994 -

Maybe I hosted you haha. It's nice to know there's other shroomerites who are into CS as well.

I'm quite surprised to hear that only a third of your hosts had a couch/bed, I would have imagine at least half to have a couch. But then again, apartments in Europe are much smaller than those in the states (besides NYC I guess) and a lot of CSers aren't rolling in money.

Here's some more CS stories...
I found my girlfriend through CS:heart: I also had several 'adventures' with girls from 5 different countries  :datass: (only girls I've meet at meetings though. I would never make a move on someone I'm hosting since I wouldn't want to make them uncomfortable in case I misunderstood the situation..AND CS IS NOT A DATING SITE NOT SHOULD IT BE USE TO LOOK FOR SEX! Otherwise I get calls from freaked out girls at 1am asking if I can host them)

I met most of my real trustworthy friends by going to local meetings since most people have the same spirit and open mindness (sadly not a lot of them are into psychedelic, but I'm slowly converting them hehe)
I organized events which had more than 25 nationalities.
I once hosted 8 people in my small apartment :eek:.
Found out about the anonymous marketplace via a CS member :grin:

Okay, I'm high and rambling sorry.... Also I don't want to start talking about CS's darkside, I'll leave that for tomorrow.


Once again XUL, don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions regarding EU, hotels, CS or simply want some suggestions as what to see, you certainly have a lot of options!

G'night y'all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: damnnation]
    #15910008 -

damnnation said:
I'm quite surprised to hear that only a third of your hosts had a couch/bed, I would have imagine at least half to have a couch.



no no, a third had an actual bed or mattress.  most had a couch at the very least.  i think i only had to crash on a floor like 3 or 4 times.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: damnnation]
    #15910083 -

Ah alright, makes more sense.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How much do you think a week trip to Europe costs? [Re: XUL]
    #15910420 -

I plan on doing a month in europe on a 1000-2000 budget.

I already have the plane tickets though, so am not considering that in the cost.

Also sticking to hostels, camping and staying with friends, no pricey hotels.

Edited by MisterMuscaria (03/06/12 06:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Travelling around Europe okayjose 993 2 01/15/03 05:14 AM
by Hamurabi
* Anybody ever see "Hostel"?
( 1 2 all )
RandalFlagg 2,213 24 05/21/06 02:37 PM
by Help on the Way
* Hostel (The Movie) HighTek 981 8 05/06/07 12:31 PM
by Junket
* anyone seen hostel 2 yet? kintos 758 10 06/08/07 11:47 PM
by Acidic_Sloth
* Mass Shroomery trip!
( 1 2 3 all )
Purple_Voyage 6,278 44 02/23/03 05:24 PM
by Dogomush
* Tripping in Dreams
( 1 2 all )
Dreamer987 6,041 32 10/09/20 07:00 AM
by Shroomhunts
* Mass Shroomery trip #1 28th Feb
( 1 2 3 all )
Purple_Voyage 9,333 43 03/02/03 08:59 AM
by c0ma
* Recorded yourself while tripping? Rob_K 2,549 14 03/27/03 04:29 PM
by dee_N_ae

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,677 topic views. 3 members, 31 guests and 88 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 17 queries.