Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: fuckin' headphones [Re: abltsandwich]
    #15893900 -

abltsandwich said:
damnnation said:
I never really misused my in ear headphones. I never had a case for them, they would usually stay in my pocket with the cable in a circle pattern. The AKG over the ear I'm using has been pretty roughed up, but after two years they are still holding up.
What I like in a headphone? Good sound and good quality (tired of cheap ass cables), but I don't need any quality studio ones...



I'd consider keeping them in your pocket without a case abuse.  It's no wonder they stop working after a while.



Is it the cables that get tired after awhile or is it the speakers them self? The ones I bought two years ago had the same treatment (and worse) yet they're still working perfectly, could it be because the cable is much thicker than those 'cheap' in ear type?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: fuckin' headphones [Re: damnnation]
    #15893906 -

Cables almost always fail before the actual drivers.


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: fuckin' headphones [Re: bbl337]
    #15896759 -

bbl337 said:
.... the m50s do not compete with k400s for example.  I don't even like the k400s that much but the m50s do not come close to their abilities.  I got my k400s for 100$ too.  Hell, I think the re-262s sound better than m50s and they're in ears.



The AKG 400 was a fine headphone. Note the verb tense. It's been a while since you could still buy them. If I were doing a review of the dozens of headphones that you used to be able to buy since the time I sold my first one until last night, I would have mentioned quite a few more. 

Quote:
Everyones taste is different, but I really believe there are much better deals on the market.



For example?

Quote:
AT cans are okay, but you def sound more like a fanboy than an unbiased listener.



There's an awful of of "fanboys" out there - 62 five star reviews, two 4 star reviews, and one 3 star review. And the only reason he gave them 3 stars is because something he read somewhere gave him the impression they were supposed to be noise-cancellation phones. When it turned out they weren't, he downrated them for not being something AT has never claimed them to be.

It is true that people like different things in headphones. Some like heavy bass, some like "warm" vocals, some like bright treble. I already said what I like - as  accurate as possible reproduction of the source material, warts and all. If that's what you like, too, then you'll be hard pressed to find a set of phones that will do it better than the AT 50 for even a 50% higher price. Arguably (at the advertised price on Amazon of $139.00) even double the price.

It's not that difficult to make "pleasant" sounding phones that can be sold in the $125 to $175 price range. There are a number of companies out there doing just that: Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, Grado, and several others. But it's a whole 'nother ball of wax to make accurate 'phones in that price range. Not to mention the build quality.

If your AKG 400s are still ticking along, great! I hope they last you many more years. I sold a buttload of AKGs back in the day. They made (and still make) some damn nice headphones. Their K601 would probably give the ATH50Ms a run for the money, but only if paired with a good headphone amp, which the ATs don't need.



Phred


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Best Type of Headphones?
( 1 2 3 all )
vitadura 6,466 55 06/27/09 09:16 PM
by joe Biggs
* The only thing wrong with these Sennheiser headphones SuperD 621 7 02/08/08 10:59 AM
by SuperD
* Headphones
( 1 2 all )
Syle 2,245 31 01/13/08 02:51 PM
by Robo
* So I'm playing at a headphone disco in 2 hours
( 1 2 all )
sam420 3,067 25 09/18/08 12:48 PM
by sam420
* Need new headphones DNKYD 1,382 11 10/19/05 01:00 AM
by SneezingPenis
* Surround headphones? XUL 1,276 7 10/28/05 12:02 PM
by XUL
* Headphones suggestions? for audiophiles.
( 1 2 all )
Nephlyte 3,065 22 01/18/07 02:12 PM
by Colonel Kurtz Ph.D
* Photoshop contest! win a pair of 100 dollar headphones!!!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
mikeytro 7,840 116 04/18/08 04:14 PM
by AScannerDarkly

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,011 topic views. 3 members, 303 guests and 155 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 17 queries.