Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Report (Without Pics)
    #1567985 - 05/22/03 02:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Over Easter weekend I got the chance to hike around my mom's woods in Northwest PA.  I found many shelf fungi (what looked to be different sizes and shapes of Dryad's Saddle, or maybe even Turkey Tails or Coral Woodcrust) and a species of crust fungi, too, which I'm almost sure was Merulius tremellosa, or Gelatinous Woodcrust.

The other main fungus I found was, unfortunately, the Giant False Morel (also known as Snow Morel, or Gyromitra gigas.  These were coming up in small groups everywhere along the sides of the paths, and I am fairly certain as to their identification.

I also did stumble upon a couple dry, little puffballs, which still spewed forth some spores when I touched them.  On a later hike, I came across a pine tree whose trunk was covered with some sort of light- tan to golden brown globose fungus.  They reminded me of puffballs with no opening.

I don't see anything like them in my ID book... Do any of you know what they might have been?  Luckily, I did get photos of many of the fungi that I saw during my hikes, including the odd one covering the pine tree.  However, the pictures were taken on a non-digital camera, and I have yet to get them developed.  :frown:

As soon as I am able to do so, though, I will definitely post them here.

-RebelSteve     

--------------------
Namaste.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Report (Without Pics) [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1568659 - 05/22/03 09:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Fungal things which look like puffballs but aren't are often either earthballs (Scleroderma) or mushroom buttons (usually Amanita).

If you're seeing false morels then the true morels should be up in the same area usually in 1 or 2 weeks. Good luck!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Report (Without Pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1569376 - 05/22/03 03:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you're seeing false morels then the true morels should be up in the same area usually in 1 or 2 weeks. Good luck!

Really?! I will be going back to my mom's house this weekend for a Memorial Day picnic thing, so I will definitely have to thoroughly search her woods for some!! I'm really anxious to try them!

Thanks for the reply,

RebelSteve

EDIT: I'm fairly sure those globose fungi weren't Amanita buttons... especially because they were actually growing on the trunk of the pine tree. I'm gonna take a look in my book and see if Earthballs do that, though. Thanks again!

-RS

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (05/22/03 03:42 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification