Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Loc: Mid Atlantic, U.S.
Re: Edible or toxic? 2 species (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #912520 - 09/27/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Viscid,

The Morels/False Morels subject is my fault. While reading on another site, I ran across the information I posted a few days back. The wording about the false Morels came right after a warning about not eating any Amanitas or Lapoitas until you are an expert at identifying them.

I didn?t realize until just now that they are completely different mushrooms. I?m very green at this still! Thanks for the feedback and helping to clarify.

I am still curious about the small Lapoitas I have here. They are exactly the same as the larger ones in habitat, and appearance. They appear to be just smaller Proceras. Are these the smaller Lapoitas I should be concerned about, or am I once again in another ballpark? Should I spore and bruise test the smaller ones to be sure?

Toxicman,

Once again thanks for your wisdom. I?m glad I saved the drying mushrooms I had!

Are you referring to page 32 in the Audubon field guide? I think we have different books, mine is not nearly as comprehensive as yours. I think mine is more of a pocket field guide. I have just been so busy, I haven had time to do any book shopping but I hope too soon. I want to see the books before I buy them, so I don?t want to just order online.

Check ya later,

Peace

--------------------
Only man's arrogance could deem a mushroom illegal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Edible or toxic? 2 species (pics) [Re: ledfethered]
    #912654 - 09/27/02 03:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Lepiota procera caps are more than 3 inches wide when opened up (7cm according to David Arora). If you have specimens which are smaller and you're not absolutely certain they are actually the same species then don't eat them. When you're going to eat mushrooms there needs to be no doubt as to which species it is. Especially in genera like Lepiota where a mistake could cost you your life.

As long as you stick to the Lepiotas with caps over 3 inches, thickest part of the stem at least 1 inch thick, a thick movable ring, white spore print, and not bruising brown immediately in the cap flesh when cut you've limited yourself to 3 species which are all edible. They are Lepiota rachodes, L. procera, and L. americana. That information is straight out a book (Edible Mushrooms of North America) by Dr. Alan Bessette and Daniel Fischer, two people who know their stuff. Using those rules you're enough of an expert on Lepiotas to eat those 3 species.

Remember to treat your dried mushrooms exactly as you'd treat any similar foodstuff (dried apple, for example). If they get moldy or otherwise look bad, toss them out like you'd toss anything else. Food poisoning is not something you want.

Happy Mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Re: Edible or toxic? 2 species (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #913135 - 09/27/02 06:53 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you very much for all the info! On to new things now I guess!

Peace

--------------------

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: Edible or toxic? 2 species (pics) [Re: ledfethered]
    #915054 - 09/28/02 02:28 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

as toxic man said, the large lepiotas are few in mumber and relatively safe, at least those three species, and they are the only ones i have ever seen.
the smaller ones, which number many in species, are more likely to kill you than just make you sick, especially if you gather enough to eat. some mycologists refer to these two groups as the MICRo-lepiotas, and the MACRO-lepiotas.
there is a tremendous size difference, most of the time.
in my experience, the size is enough to sort them into these two groups right off the bat. mushroom caps that open up to a plane surface are usually at the height of their maturity. so if the mushrroms you find are two inches around and the caps are fully opemn, it is likely that they are not just a miniature version of the larger lepiotas. see what i mean?the larger ones produce fairly large immature mushrooms, i mean they are sizable enough when just emerging to tell they are not the micros.
it's not that hard.
you should make a habit of storing your finds in open, non-plastic containers in your fridge, with a lightly moist paper towel on top to help with the drying out. they will last thru some id-ing online while waitng in the fridge better than out in the open.
peace!!
word up to the toxicman!

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Re: Edible or toxic? 2 species (pics) [Re: viscid]
    #915075 - 09/28/02 02:35 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks Viscid!

Your additional info really helped to clarify things.

Peace

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom