Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
The Motives of Record Companies
    #15614447 -

What, in your opinion, is the likelihood that mainstream music is used to impress opinions onto people?
Ie. A form of propaganda?
Eg. Rap music used to associate black people with drugs and violence.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Noteworthy]
    #15614497 -

While I will agree that mainstream music is hollow and empty (lyrically and socially), I'm not sure whether that is a result of giving the morons what they want or a "conspiracy" to impress amoral values and selfishness on this generation as the accepted way of living.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Toltecatl]
    #15614502 -

Yes Im not sure about it either.. But im asking for a likelihood like 5% or 90%
Can you help me?
:winning1:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Noteworthy]
    #15614521 -

How is mainstream music different than the rest of music in this regard?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Noteworthy]
    #15614564 -

For example what does the billboard say?
Come and play, come and play, forget about the movement
Forget about yourselves
Forget about your culture
And forget about your history and just fly
And just fly

I believe it is our culture, the people, rather than a conspiracy. You could compare it to TV. An astounding majority of Americans would rather talk about American Idol or TMZ than share a intellectual conversation regarding the universe or world history. It is far easier to be entertained and told what to think rather than challenging the status quo or your own beliefs. The media only helps to perpetuate this train of thought, or lack thereof.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Noteworthy]
    #15614582 -

Noteworthy said:
a likelihood like 5% or 90%




yes


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: DieCommie]
    #15614618 -

DieCommie said:
How is mainstream music different than the rest of music in this regard?



It is different in the messages it conveys, though both mainstream and no-mainstream are used to impress opinions upon people. I belive the issue is not whether or not mainstream music impresses an opinion, but how is this opinion different from non-mainstream music. Perhaps OP could have worded it better. Either that or I completely misinterpreted the meaning of his post.

Modern Mainstream Music

Wake up in the mornin feelin like P diddy
Got my glasses i'm out the door
gonna hit this city
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of jack
Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't comin back
I'm talking - pedicures on our toes, toes
Trying on all our clothes, clothes
Boys blowing up our phones, phones
Drop-talking, playing our favorite cds
going to all the parties
Tryin to get a little bit tipsy

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, imma fight
Till we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock
But the party don't stop, no
Woah-oh oh oh
Woah-oh oh oh (x2)

Ain't got a care in the world, but got plenty of beer
Ain't got no money in ma pocket, but I'm already here
And now the dudes are linin up cause they hear we got swagger
But we kick em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger
I'm talking about - everybody getting crunk, crunk
Boys trying to touch my junk, junk
Gonna smack him if their getting too drunk, drunk
Now, now - we goin till they kick us out, out
but the police shut us down, down
police shut us down,
police shut us -down

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, imma fight
Till we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock
But the party don't stop, no
Woah-oh oh oh
Woah-oh oh oh (x2)

you build me up
You break me down
My heart, it pounds
Yeah, you got me
With my hands up
You got me now
You got that sound
Yea, you got me

you build me up
You break me down
My heart, it pounds
Yeah, you got me
With my hands up
Put your hands up
Put your hands up

Now, the party don't start til I walk in...

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, imma fight
Till we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock
But the party don't stop, no
Woah-oh oh oh
Woah-oh oh oh (x2)

Modern Non-Mainstream Music

Most of my Latino and black people who are struggling to get food, clothes and shelter in the hood are so concerned with that, that philosophising about freedom and socialist democracy is usually unfortunately beyond their rationale. They don't realize that America can't exist without separating them from their identity, because if we had some sense of who we really are, there's no way in hell we'd allow this country to push it's genocidal consensus on our homelands. This ignorance exists, but it can be destroyed.

Niggas talk about change and working within the system to achieve that. The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you. There is usually nothing wrong with compromise in a situation, but compromising yourself in a situation is another story completely, and I have seen this happen long enough in the few years that I've been alive to know that it's a serious problem. Latino America is a huge colony of countries whose presidents are cowards in the face of economic imperialism. You see, third world countries are rich places, abundant in resources, and many of these countries have the capacity to feed their starving people and the children we always see digging for food in trash on commercials. But plutocracies, in other words a government run by the rich such as this one and traditionally oppressive European states, force the third world into buying overpriced, unnecessary goods while exporting huge portions of their natural resources.

I'm quite sure that people will look upon my attitude and sentiments and look for hypocrisy and hatred in my words. My revolution is born out of love for my people, not hatred for others.

You see, most of Latinos are here because of the great inflation that was caused by American companies in Latin America. Aside from that, many are seeking a life away from the puppet democracies that were funded by the United States; places like El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Colombia, Nicaragua, Ecuador and Republica Dominicana, and not just Spanish-speaking countries either, but Haiti and Jamaica as well.

As different as we have been taught to look at each other by colonial society, we are in the same struggle and until we realize that, we'll be fighting for scraps from the table of a system that has kept us subservient instead of being self-determined. And that's why we have no control over when the embargo will stop in Cuba, or when the bombs will stop dropping in Vieques.

But you see, here in America the attitude that is fed to us is that outside of America there live lesser people. "Fuck them, let them fend for themselves." No, Fuck you, they are you. No matter how much you want to dye your hair blonde and put fake eyes in, or follow an anorexic standard of beauty, or no matter how many diamonds you buy from people who exploit your own brutally to get them, no matter what kind of car you drive or what kind of fancy clothes you put on, you will never be them. They're always gonna look at you as nothing but a little monkey. I'd rather be proud of what I am, rather than desperately trying to be something I'm really not, just to fit in. And whether we want to accept it or not, that's what this culture or lack of culture is feeding us.

I want a better life for my family and for my children, but it doesn't have to be at the expense of millions of lives in my homeland. We're given the idea that if we didn't have these people to exploit then America wouldn't be rich enough to let us have these little petty material things in our lives and basic standards of living. No, that's wrong. It's the business giants and the government officials who make all the real money. We have whatever they kick down to us. My enemy is not the average white man, it's not the kid down the block or the kids I see on the street; my enemy is the white man I don't see: the people in the white house, the corporate monopoly owners, fake liberal politicians those are my enemies. The generals of the armies that are mostly conservatives those are the real Mother-Fuckers that I need to bring it to, not the poor, broke country-ass soldier that's too stupid to know shit about the way things are set up.

In fact, I have more in common with most working and middle-class white people than I do with most rich black and Latino people. As much as racism bleeds America, we need to understand that classism is the real issue. Many of us are in the same boat and it's sinking, while these bougie Mother-Fuckers ride on a luxury liner, and as long as we keep fighting over kicking people out of the little boat we're all in, we're gonna miss an opportunity to gain a better standard of living as a whole.

In other words, I don't want to escape the plantation I want to come back, free all my people, hang the Mother-Fucker that kept me there and burn the house to the god damn ground. I want to take over the encomienda and give it back to the people who work the land.

You cannot change the past but you can make the future, and anyone who tells you different is a Fucking lethargic devil. I don't look at a few token Latinos and black people in the public eye as some type of achievement for my people as a whole. Most of those successful individuals are sell-outs and house Negros.

But, I don't consider brothers a sell-out if they move out of the ghetto. Poverty has nothing to do with our people. It's not in our culture to be poor. That's only been the last 500 years of our history; look at the last 2000 years of our existence and what we brought to the world in terms of science, mathematics, agriculture and forms of government. You know the idea of a confederation of provinces where one federal government controls the states? The Europeans who came to this country stole that idea from the Iroquois LEAGUE. The idea of impeaching a ruler comes from an Aztec tradition. That's why Montezuma was stoned to death by his own people 'cause he represented the agenda of white Spaniards once he was captured, not the Aztec people who would become Mexicans.

So in conclusion, I'm not gonna vote for anybody just 'cause they black or Latino they have to truly represent the community and represent what's good for all of us proletariat.

Porque sino entonces te mando por el carajo cabron gusano hijo de puta, seramos libre pronto, viva la revolucion, VIVA LA REVOLUCION!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Toltecatl]
    #15614629 -

That Rage Against the Machine you posted earlier is about as mainstream as you get.  That doesnt really seem relevant to the lyrics though...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: DieCommie]
    #15614728 -

DieCommie said:
That Rage Against the Machine you posted earlier is about as mainstream as you get.  That doesnt really seem relevant to the lyrics though...




Yes, it was mainstream 9 years ago. The lyrics coincided with the opinion I presented in that post regarding mainstream media/entertainment as a distraction from real social issues. Pretty self explanatory.

Take a look at the Top 100 songs of 2011 and tell me if you recognize any songs that are about something other than sex, drugs, alcohol, clothes, cars, money or relationships.
http://www.billboard.com/charts/charts-year-end?year=2011#/charts-year-end/hot-100-songs?year=2011&begin=1&order=position

Here we are (or there we were) in the year 2011, the economy and housing market are in the shitter, we are fighting two wars in the middle east, there is unrest and turmoil in Lybia, Syria, and Yemen to the point that people are fighting the government and being killed for doing so, yet none of these issues, some of the most important issues of our time, are even being ackowledged in mainstream music. Turn on the radio in 1969 for an hour and you'd be hard pressed to not hear a song protesting the war in Vietnam. Isn't there something inherently wong with that?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Toltecatl]
    #15614782 -

Quote:
Isn't there something inherently wong with that?



No, I dont think so.

Im not sure what point you are trying to make with that link, I dont know any of those songs.  :tongue:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: DieCommie]
    #15614836 -

DieCommie said:
Quote:
Isn't there something inherently wong with that?



No, I dont think so.



I do. But I care more for lyrics than melody most of the time.

DieCommie said:
Im not sure what point you are trying to make with that link, I dont know any of those songs.  :tongue:



:grin: Alas, I wish I didn't know most of those songs either, but most people my age listen to that shit. Even when I go to the pool hall they will play some WIllie Nelson followed by the Black Eyed Peas. Can't help but :doublefacepalm:

BTW, what do you listen too. Just curious.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Toltecatl]
    #15614922 -

I avoid music with lyrics and what little lyrical music I do listen to I tune out the singing.

I think that stems from a general dislike of people. I don't want them in my music any more than I want ants in my food. :shrug:

But that said, I see nothing wrong with lyrics of any kind. Different people like different things. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Seems simple.


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: Toltecatl]
    #15614932 -

Toltecatl said:
DieCommie said:
Quote:
Isn't there something inherently wong with that?



No, I dont think so.



I do. But I care more for lyrics than melody most of the time.




Aww come on...  Isnt that a little arrogant?  Everybody likes poetic lyrics.  Just because people in the mainstream have different tastes and appreciation with respect to the lyrics doesn't mean they don't care for or listen to them. 

I love lyrics, but the last thing I want to listen to is some neo-antiwar songs.  :puke:




Quote:
BTW, what do you listen too. Just curious.



I love mainstream music of all kinds.  All the popular shit from any genre I like.
Opera:  Puccini, Verdi, Rossini 
Piano: Chopin, Beethoven 
Country: Johnny Cash, Jimmie Rodgers 
Bluegrass: Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs
Rock n' Roll: Beatles, Doors, Grateful Dead
Rap: WuTang, TuPac, NWA
Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sinatra
Drum & Bass: Dieselboy, AK-1200

I also like world music a lot, old style cuban, klezmer, middle eastern and mexican.  Heavy Metal is just OK for me, Metallica is nice.  Punk music sucks all around IMO.  I also like soundtracks a lot. :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Motives of Record Companies [Re: DieCommie]
    #15615259 -

DieCommie said:
Aww come on...  Isnt that a little arrogant?  Everybody likes poetic lyrics.  Just because people in the mainstream have different tastes and appreciation with respect to the lyrics doesn't mean they don't care for or listen to them.



 
Touche.

DieCommie said:
I love lyrics, but the last thing I want to listen to is some neo-antiwar songs.  :puke:




The protest songs of the 60s were just the first thing that came to mind when thinking of songs that address social issues, though I do enjoy many of them. You don't have to be a hippy to be anti-war. Now You've Got Something to Die for by Lamb of God for example.

Quote:
BTW, what do you listen too. Just curious.



I love mainstream music of all kinds.  All the popular shit from any genre I like.
Opera:  Puccini, Verdi, Rossini 
Piano: Chopin, Beethoven 
Country: Johnny Cash, Jimmie Rodgers 
Bluegrass: Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs
Rock n' Roll: Beatles, Doors, Grateful Dead
Rap: WuTang, TuPac, NWA
Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sinatra
Drum & Bass: Dieselboy, AK-1200

I also like world music a lot, old style cuban, klezmer, middle eastern and mexican.  Heavy Metal is just OK for me, Metallica is nice.  Punk music sucks all around IMO.  I also like soundtracks a lot. :lol:



Opera:  Puccini, Verdi, Rossini 
Piano: Chopin, Beethoven, Motzart
Country: Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennigs, David Allen Coe, Willie Nelson 
Rock n' Roll: Beatles, Doors, Pink FLoyd, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Warren Zevon
60s: Jefferson Airplane, CCR, Buffalo Springfield, Cream, Crosby Stills and Nash, Velvet Underground
Rap: Immortal Technique, TuPac, Biggie, NWA, Nas, Eminem (first 3 albums)
Jazz: Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sinatra, Coltrane, Ray Charles, Etta James, Amy Winehouse, Sade
Punk: Ramones, Casualties, Bad Religion, The Offspring
Metal: Lamb of God, Dethklok, Devil Driver, Metallica, RATM, Tool
Guitar: Steve Vai, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Stevie Ray Vaughn

Yeah, I dig soundtracks too. I was stuck on the Into the Wild soundtrack for a few months after seeing the movie.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* THE MOTIVES & CONSEQUENCES OF THE SIXTIES COUNTERCULTURE AND BEYOND LeastResistance 1,632 5 02/18/05 07:37 AM
by uriahchase
* Actions and Motivations Silversoul 852 15 08/20/05 07:49 AM
by Icelander
* what motivates you to act morally?
( 1 2 all )
MrBump 3,388 29 12/16/04 11:39 AM
by DoctorJ
* Death fear = prime motivator
( 1 2 all )
Icelander 4,175 22 11/08/06 04:25 AM
by Huehuecoyotl
* the Akashic records Luke 1,166 10 08/13/05 01:45 PM
by redgreenvines
* Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic Motivation Veritas 1,269 5 08/16/05 10:27 PM
by gettinjiggywithit
* Am I lazy or motivated?
( 1 2 all )
justAkid 1,634 29 01/23/06 12:42 AM
by Ped
* knowledge isn't enough....discipline and motivation.... MJF 1,595 15 08/29/05 01:48 PM
by MJF

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
563 topic views. 0 members, 8 guests and 12 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.