Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKefkaX
Vice President.No, wait.*Junior* VicePresident!

Loc: Sydney Australia
This is a post with pretty pictures in it.
    #1559425 - 05/19/03 04:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I think they're pretty, anyhow.

Within a minute of walking into the reserve, I find this little fellow.

My first impression is "Wow. It's purple!" And it is indeed very purple. The camera does not exaggerate. Usually I wouldn't pick something like this, since it was a lone specimen, but I was curious to get an identification, and often it seems a picture of the base is required for an exact ID. Not to mention the gills.

The stem is not hollow, and is about an inch and a half long, the cap is about 2 inches wide. I did take a spore print, but it's unlike any spore print I've ever seen. I left it to print overnight for full effect, but the impression that's left is almost as if the mushroom grew to great temperatures overnight and burned the paper. I suppose the colour is orange/brown, but the spores must be incredibly fine. I can barely make out the ridge pattern of the gills at all, instead there's just a nice smudge effect.
I waited a few hours after cutting the stem from the cap, but there doesn't really seem to be much in the way of bruising. Just the slight browning of regular oxidisation.
If you can't pick it up from the picture, I should also mention that the cap was quite slimy. And as far as scent is concerned... it smelled like... crayon. I hope you follow me with that one. After waiting a day or so, it now has a more normal mushroomy smell, but that was my definite first impression.

These are some I actually found right next to the entrance to the reserve, on the edge of someone's garden. They looked more red and pretty in person.

Here's a cute little fellow.

Here's his mother. Not really *as* cute. But in her defense, she appears to be covered in some sort of dirt-type substance. Most likely dirt.

But look! She found a friend!

And at this point I seem to have gone past my upload limit. Which is ridiculous, because the original size of the first photo alone is twice as much as the 400kb I'm alotted.
I am now attempting to leech off friends in a messageboard I frequent.

Aaaaand... score. Here we go.
I apologise for the size for these. I don't know how to do a thumbnail without uploading thumbnail-sized pictures.

Look at the one on the left doing his impression of a palm tree. Impressive, no?

These be the mud brothers.

Here's a really big thing I found uprooted by the side of the track that smelled a bit like urine. Note the stuff it left on my hands and the lack of taps in my immediate vicinity. Ick.

This 'eres a bolete. First mushroom I ever found that bruised blue and it's a bolete. On the upside, though... pretty pretty pores!

Almost makes you want to coat it in honey and take a big bite. Almost.

This is a huge arousingly-shaped mushroom I found after exiting the reservoir, in a grassy area next to a house. A foot or two in diameter, there were only two of these, a couple of metres apart. Didn't smell fantastic, but I bet it tasted worse.
I was actually reminded of that Yuckles episode of Round The Twist. Most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Unless you grew up watching children's television in Australia. And even then, I'm probably pushing it.

I would've taken many more pics than this, but my Sony DSC-P50 did it's lovely trick where I charge it and it tells me it has 100+ minutes to spare, then I get to where I'm going and it tells me about 20. Which very rapidly turns to "flashing battery-low signal", which turns to my leaving the camera off and not getting any pics.
What I would've liked to get a photo of is the beautiful late afternoon sky that was revealed walking down the street away from the reserve. The kind of sky you only get after the first clear day after a week of heavy rain. Lovely, it was.
And as an added bonus, the area I came out into was an ultra-expensive neighbourhood where the houses all look like castles and mansions. Very pretty it was. I was filled with awe. Awe, jealousy and bitterness. But more importantly awe.

Anyhow, I'd enjoy it if people could try their hand at identifying these mushrooms. Especially the first one. If it's a new species, I'd like the suffix to be Purplii. Pronounced "purr-pley". Because it would be appropriate and easy to understand.
Thank you.

--------------------
Immerse your soul in love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: This is a post with pretty pictures in it. [Re: KefkaX]
    #1559443 - 05/19/03 05:08 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

All I can say is WOW! You have some pretty cool mushrooms growing in Australia. Thanks for all the crystal clear pics!

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineKefkaX

Re: This is a post with pretty pictures in it. [Re: Signo]
    #1559447 - 05/19/03 05:15 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Why thank you. And that's a very pretty polygonal goomba you have as your avatar.
*salutes*

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1559461 - 05/19/03 05:47 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineNFNF
omghi2u
Re: This is a post with pretty pictures in it. [Re: zeta]
    #1559464 - 05/19/03 05:51 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, cut your nails. :smile:

--------------------
sup d00dz

OfflineKefkaX

Re: This is a post with pretty pictures in it. [Re: zeta]
    #1559489 - 05/19/03 06:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ooh, yes, that does seem to be it. Though perhaps it's news to someone that they're found in Australia also?

--------------------

OfflineKefkaX

Re: This is a post with pretty pictures in it. [Re: NFNF]
    #1559491 - 05/19/03 06:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hah. Yes, I know. Actually, I cut them as soon as I got back, because I wanted to play guitar. But my nails grow incredibly fast, and I hadn't played in a week, so there wasn't any reason to.

But on the plus side, I am exceedingly well groomed and hygenic. Not to mention effeminate.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1559604 - 05/19/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice. Pretty pictures and interesting mushrooms.

That purple guy is probably a Cortinarius, subgenus Sericeocybe. Cortinarius lilacinus is a typical example, and we're not going to be able to identify to species in this genus. There are a whole bunch of species of mushrooms that are really similar to that one. Cortinarius does have some brightly colored, pretty mushrooms.

The second one (the red one) we need to see the gills of to identify.

The third one is probably a Russula.

The fourth one (which you took two photos of) looks like a Lactarius. Next time try cutting across the gills with a knife and see if it bleeds something like milk.

Those bright yellow ones are interesting. At first glance, that color suggests chanterelles, but the striate caps say they're not. Xeromphalina, perhaps?

The "mud brothers" and the one you found uprooted are Amanitas, probably subsection Lepidella. They often have unpleasant odors, are covered in the mealy remnants of universal veil you got on your hand, and often have a deeply rooting stem base. They are also very difficult to identify to species and are poisonous.

Your bolete is a Leccinum, which can be determined by examining the shaggy stalk. To identify them to species you need to cut it in half and watch the color changes. Some of them change color a couple times before finally settling on one.

That last mushroom looks like another bolete.

Hope that helps.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineKefkaX

Re: This is a post with pretty pictures in it. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1559761 - 05/19/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for that. I wasn't actually expecting any certain IDs for anything other than the cortinarius. Otherwise I would've taken more detailed photos and gotten a spore print, other details etc...
I just thought I'd supply them for peoples' viewing pleasure and see if anyone was willing to make some educated guesses. Unfortunately the trip was only half-planned so I didn't have any paper bags to collect with. Not to mention most were too big for the sort of paper bags I have anyhow. I think next time we get some rain I'll come prepared and do the whole track walk.
It'd be nice to find some subaeruginosa, and it seems those would be my best bet for now.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1559765 - 05/19/03 10:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1559789 - 05/19/03 10:57 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Damn good pictures, and as usual ToxicMan got some pretty accurate ID's :wink:

OfflineKefkaX

Re: This is a post with pretty pictures in it. [Re: angryshroom]
    #1559799 - 05/19/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I know, LK is most definitely the man.

And I think Mr Mushrooms somehow just gave me more compliments than I've ever received in my life in a mere couple of sentences. I should post here more often  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1559886 - 05/19/03 11:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

beautiful mushrooms, jesus id go to australia just to see this kind of stuff.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1559910 - 05/19/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome thread and beautiful pictures, KefKaX!!!  :grin:
That was a splendid hunting pictorial... It really made my day! :laugh:

Peace,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract