Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
ID Request. Montana mtns find.
    #15181891 -

Hi guys'. Ok, I'm really new to mushroom hunting and identification, but I'm trying! I was passing through some mountains in Montana and found these near a stream. I'm spore printing some right now so will have to wait a little on the print.


Habitat: Found growing at base of wood type bushes where cattle hide. Not on poop, but in wood debris and soil. Like I said really around the bases of the tree bushes as seen in pictures.

Gills: tan to dark tan/brown, seem to be attached (also, almost all had dark spots on the very edge of the gills. just specks all the way around near the cap)

Stem: tan to brown, small <1/8" wide and only few inches long typ., fragile, hollow, breaking and splitting easily.

Cap: Differs. Some have a dark center in middle and lighter and darker rings following, some are opposite with light middle and dark ring around outside. Caps are almost all flat to concave/wavy where you can see gills good at side profile.

Spore print: unknown.

Bruising: some had green on caps..only some.

Location: PNW


#1 - the group of three larger mushrooms











#2 - Here are the misc others..








I'll post update once print appears. I think the larger ones in the first pics are maybe different that all the other smaller ones with rings. They look like they might attach slightly diff to stem. The smaller kinda looked like a mix of Sub's and wavy caps..but the stem just is too small and brown looking. I appreciate any help. Thanks guys'~


--------------------
Wise man once say, "Goto bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly fingers."

Sweet Sativa(personal cross - Mex. Sat.X SweetTooth#3)(MEDICAL):

Edited by VegasPole (10/05/11 03:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: VegasPole]
    #15181989 -

I have found the ones in #1 before. I think they are Gymnopilus fulgens. As for #2 I'm not sure.


--------------------
Relate or hate On Soundcloud

<3

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: xerosene]
    #15182290 -

xerosene said:
I have found the ones in #1 before. I think they are Gymnopilus fulgens. As for #2 I'm not sure.




That's funny.. I had looked at some Gyms and even a pic from google that was a fulgen. I agree though. It looks hella similar, at least those 3 big ones do.  The others are kinda "buttony" ..theyre either flat or wave abit.  Thanks for the response! It's much appreciated.

Also my apologies.. pictures were all from a camera phone.


--------------------
Wise man once say, "Goto bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly fingers."

Sweet Sativa(personal cross - Mex. Sat.X SweetTooth#3)(MEDICAL):

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: VegasPole]
    #15182412 -

Sorry to bump this post again...
I did some more research and I found that some of the google images for Psilocybe Montana look very very similar to mine, below..(and it wasss montana there were found in..?) I know usally the montana shroom looks more domed and like a little brown mushroom, but these were posted as P. montana.




and also.. didn't find much on this mush, only some foreign site, but it looks similiar: psilocybe inquilina



and i know it's not azure.. but this pic looked pretty similar..(shape anyway.. not the witch hat part)


--------------------
Wise man once say, "Goto bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly fingers."

Sweet Sativa(personal cross - Mex. Sat.X SweetTooth#3)(MEDICAL):

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: VegasPole]
    #15182433 -

So which of those pictures are yours?

Edit: Read closer, you stated the pics in the 2nd post are from Google.
The mushrooms in your original post are not in the Psilocybe genus.

Edited by Ran-D (10/05/11 05:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: Ran-D]
    #15182606 -

Not sure on the first thought I'm positive they're not Gymnopilus or Psilocybe.

2nd look like Inocybe.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: landsnorkler]
    #15182895 -

what about galerina mar or galerina aut. ?  I know none of the ones i saw/picked had a ring on the stipe, but i hear they dont always carry it..?  the big ones from pic #1 and the others had same color spore prints.. darker brown.

anyway.. theyre all out in the garbage. thanks for the input guys'. -over n out


--------------------
Wise man once say, "Goto bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly fingers."

Sweet Sativa(personal cross - Mex. Sat.X SweetTooth#3)(MEDICAL):

Edited by VegasPole (10/05/11 06:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: VegasPole]
    #15182929 -

With the light, spaced gills, dark stems and orange caps I'd guess Flammulina velutipes for the first ones. I agree with Snork and say Inocybe on the second ones.


--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: VegasPole]
    #15182952 -

Galerina marginata = G. autumnalis nowadays. I think the gills look wrong for those though. Were those growing from wood or the ground?


--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ID Request. Montana mtns find. [Re: suchen]
    #15183823 -

I'm abit confused. A little high too... :rastamon: And slowly consuming amanitas. But I see room for a lot of confusion when looking at rustie orange mushies with funky gills unless you have a microscope...


--------------------
Relate or hate On Soundcloud

<3

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* ID Request: May 2021, Melbourne Inner sofatom 1,507 1 05/07/21 08:55 AM
by Warrk
* ID request - sterile subs? Trossington 2,443 7 05/06/21 09:24 AM
by Mycoangulo
* ID request Melbourne ExtinguishedGalah 1,806 5 05/06/21 03:20 AM
by ExtinguishedGalah
* Non-Active ID request ChiefThunderbong 6,706 10 10/11/03 04:43 PM
by orizon
* ID 'request' (but not much info, sorry) koraks 5,165 6 01/11/04 03:15 AM
by koraks
* Found in northern orgon, ID Request puggymalone 6,904 15 10/13/23 10:32 AM
by Mr Piggy
* Dried MD-area ID Request (Newbie!) agentdss 6,364 10 10/15/03 03:40 PM
by agentdss
* id requested Da_Vine 4,274 8 07/07/04 08:16 PM
by canid

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,490 topic views. 0 members, 17 guests and 59 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.