Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Loc: on the edge
SUBcubensis ? Tech Question on Species Nomenclature
    #1508976 - 04/30/03 09:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

When you refer to the Genus Psilocybe and then a Species, the Species name supposedly reflects uniqueness (Cyanescens, Mexicana, etc). But IF the "SUB" in Subcubensis really is implying merely a subset of the Species Cubensis, it is a rather unusual usage of Species nomenclature.....isn't it? Why would it not instead be Ps Cubensis, then variety "whatever"? I assume it's because there is a whole subset of Cubensis which share a common trait, but not exactly down to the variety or strain level. It's almost like we need yet another category between Species Cubensis, and strain descriptions.

I saw a recent post by MJ where Ps Cubensis var Ecuador was referred to as a SUBcubensis. This is not the first time I saw this. I do understand that the differences between Cubensis and Subcubensis are supposedly only microscopic, in spore characteristics.

So I did a search, and although there were a number of discussions mentioning Subcubensis, I still coujld not find a clear explanation of exactly WHAT IT IS.

So, can anyone specifically define SUBCUBENSIS , and are Ecuadors merely a strain of the species Cubensis, or, instead, a completely different species.....Subcubensis? Are Ecuadors really, then, Psilocybe Subcubensis?

--------------------
your inside is out, and your outside is in.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: SUBcubensis ? Tech Question on Species Nomenclature [Re: Mike Elium]
    #1509495 - 05/01/03 12:12 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

P. cubensis and P. subcubensis are macroscopically the same but their spores are a different size, most notably smaller than those belonging to P. cubensis. ANd the species name is not capitalized as the genera is.

Now P. subcaerulipes is macroscopically different than P. caerulipes and so are several others.

The genus Psilopcybe by Guzm?n is currently under revision and will appear next year with many new species and corerections.

mj

It is in mopst University libraries and is also on line. I have posted the URL many times so it is here inthe archives somewhere at the shroomery.

mj

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Re: SUBcubensis ? Tech Question on Species Nomenclature [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1510481 - 05/01/03 06:53 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks MJ.

So then, we are actually technically incorrect if we refer to the strain we reference as Ecuadors as a cubensis.....true? .... Ecuadors, most correctly stated, are a Psilocybe subcubensis, and, technically, not a "cube" as we often incorrectly say. Because a subcubensis is not really a cube, but instead is in fact a completely separate species.

Are there any of the other familiar strains (Maz, Taz, Cambo, etc) that are commonly referred to as cubes, that are like this......that are really, technically, subcubensis?.

--------------------

Edited by Mike Elium (05/01/03 06:55 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1510676 - 05/01/03 10:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

MOst of the other strains are P. cubensis. Since no one has done any taxonomy on different strains sold on the market we do not know of which two species they could be.

I pick many shrooms in Thailand and the mushroom could be one or the other.

However I am assuming they are mostly P. cubensis becasue of their common growth throughout the countries However, I have had many collections analyesd and had taxonomy done on several collections and those were ones I sold to different vendors over thew years.

Hawkseye has the best of the prints available form strrains I originally brought back. Others have fdifferent strains and all do well under the eyes of the practical experienced cultivator. I think it is the method whoich produces good potent large shrooms for human consumption. Not the strain. Al strains gsold are reported as potent but Cubensis shrooms are the weakest of most species with those substances in them.

mj

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Re: SUBcubensis ? Tech Question on Species Nomenclature [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1512401 - 05/01/03 08:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks MJ

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5870521 - 07/17/06 09:10 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Subcubensis is not really a separate species. It was a mistake classifying them as a new species. New genetic data shows that they are the same species. The published sequence for subcubensis is identical to the consensus cubensis sequence.

See here...
Genetic Relationship of Psilocybe Species...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum4&Number=5707109

He he... bumping a really old post. Well, it got cited in a more recent post so I thought I would add this update.

-FF

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: SUBcubensis ? Tech Question on Species Nomenclature [Re: fastfred]
    #5871351 - 07/18/06 12:17 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

i think you will find that subcubensis and cubensis are compatible, so their delineation is false.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience