Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down? [Re: PDU]
    #1487948 - 04/23/03 11:53 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm an oldie punker/metalhead all the way, but I don't want to chop the trees or hug them, I don't give a damn either way...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedickdeadly
rælity

Loc: in my mind
Re: Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down? [Re: Pynchon]
    #1488022 - 04/24/03 12:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i dunno, i guess i am a part of the culture somewhat. i am listening to my nine shocks terror 12" right now, but i also listen to industrial, reggae, classic rock, jazz, metal, im dling Mos Def right now. punk will probably be #1 for me, maybe tied with KMFDM, but i refuse to be in a rut that i can?t say or do or think anything out of the punk box. shhiiiit.

--------------------

Character is how you act when you think no one is watching

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1488121 - 04/24/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This is how I see punk rock.I believe my father was actually part of the orginal punk culture (he has some great stories).In the early,mid seventies rock was huge and most of the larger bands were playing in huge stadiums.As a result,once reasonably priced concert tickets,were becoming unaffordable to poor inner city youth,such as my dad.Bands were also being overhyped and were becoming alienated from their fans.A few people in New York,and according to my father,other cities like Philadelphia (where my father grew up),Boston,and Baltimore said fuck the corporate rock machine,fuck the overpriced tickets,and fuck the bands with their inflated egos.We don't need that shit,we can make our own scene.So people started forming bands (some good,many bad) and started playing in small clubs for cheap or even sometimes free.The band was seen as on the same level as the fans.It was common for people to sit in and play with the bands,jump on stage,and even hang out with the band after the gig. The only common thread that held the punks together was the DIY attitude,their hatred of corporate America,and their love of music.That's all punk originally was.It wasn't some grand philosophical movement or anything.People just wanted to be able to see affordable live music and have a good time.Any common way of dress or way of speaking,etc.. was probably unintended and coincindental.The original punkers were mostly poor,inner city males,so things like ripped jeans,heavy work boots,and leather jackets were common.Most people in the subculture probably felt alienated from "normal" middle/upper class America,so they started wearing wacky hairstyles and things like that to piss people off.It wasn't a uniform,or a bunch of dogma,it was just the was things evolved.Mainstream corporate America caught on,like they always seemed to do,and marketed a bastarized version of punk rock that only had a superficial resemblance to the original.At this point,people gave punk rock up and became bitter old men (like my father),sold out,or went further underground.
The same thing that happened to punk probably happened to the original hippies,and a lot of other subcultures.
Besides some superficial and philosophical differences,I think punk,the hippies,the beats,early jazz,and hip hop culture are a lot more alike than different.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by grandmasterfat (04/24/03 01:04 AM)

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1488818 - 04/24/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe in your lifetime.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down? [Re: Adom]
    #1489536 - 04/24/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Are Ravers considered modern-day hippies? Are skaters modern-day Punks?

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down? [Re: Murex]
    #1490551 - 04/24/03 05:46 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

no, ravers are modern day losers...hehe no just kidding. skaters are just skaters, they sk8, they have fun, they re-interpret the urban landscape and make a dull place a fresh funk zone.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Hippie or Punk? Hug a tree or Chop it down? [Re: Murex]
    #1490777 - 04/24/03 06:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Are Ravers considered modern-day hippies? Are skaters modern-day Punks?

IMO,their non loathing of technology aside,I think the earlier ravers like the London scene in the late 80's and the New York scene in the early to mid 90's were very much like the hippies.Then like any other subculture,the media and the larger public caught on and a commercialized "bastardized" version took over.Now raves are large money making events.Most people don't give a shit about the scene,they're just there to get fucked up and meet members of the opposite sex.
And skaters,well the only prerequesite to be a skater is that you skate and you actually enjoy doing it.That's about it.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder